Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can we talk about retirement?

What I've read the average people live 15 years after retiring.

I suppose it also depends on when you retire. And why. And what you do afterwards. You would still want to have a sense of purpose and a sense of belonging/social life.

Retiring early can actually lengthen your life, economists from the University of Amsterdam affirmed in a 2017 study published in the journal of Health and Economics.

Male Dutch civil servants over the age of 54 who retired early were an astounding 42 percent less likely to die over the subsequent five years compared to those who continued working. (There were too few women in the sample who met the early retirement eligibility requirements â including having contributed to the public sector pension fund for ten consecutive years â to be included.)

The researchers explain the potentially life-extending effects of retiring in two ways.

For one, retiring frees you up, allowing you more time to invest in your health. That benefits you whether you"re sleeping more, exercising or simply going to the doctor as soon as an issue appears.

Second, work can be stressful, while retirement can alleviate that stress, and stress can create hypertension, a risk factor for various potentially fatal conditions. Retirees in this study were significantly less likely to die from stroke or from cardiovascular diseases.

The finding echoes a few others, the New York Times reports: 'An analysis in the United States found about seven years of retirement can be as good for health as reducing the chance of getting a serious disease (like diabetes or heart conditions) by 20 percent. Positive health effects of retirement have also been found by studies using data from Israel, England, Germany and other European countries.'

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/27/how-research-shows-you-can-live-longer-if-you-retire-early.html

It's interesting hearing from many of you who have reached retirement age (60 give or take) and have options and plans for your musical and life endeavors. I just turned 40 last month. It's kind of shocking to think about the fact that I joined this board about 15 years ago when I was in my late 20s and many of you your mid 40s, not to far from my own age now. It feels like yesterday.

Retirement means something different for me. It's not just around the corner. But, as the math in the last paragraph demonstrates, it all really goes in the blink of an eye, so it's not something I can ignore or put off thinking about either.

Retirement for me will mean my wife and I have made enough $ to live comfortably off of investments, and our house is paid off. If this were to suddenly occur tomorrow, it's hard for me to think about what would change musically. It would probably mean a downshift out of the grind of my very busy top 40 band. But it's such a great group to work with, the gigs can be pretty gratifying, (have gotten to tackle some fun challenges with this great band) and the $ is good, so it's tough to think about just walking away from that even if I could. I might still do some gigs and pay somebody to load in and set up my gear which is the most obnoxious and taxing part anyway. Then there's the 20 or so Padres organ gigs I get a year and the minor league hockey stuff. I don't think I'd really want to stop that stuff either even if I didn't need the $. But honestly when I think about retirement I think about having tons of time to get to the music that I've always wanted to sit down and play. Heavy classical pieces, Chopin Etudes, every piece in the WTC I and II. And ORIGINAL music. I had so much fun arranging and recording my funky organ and horns album 4 years ago. I would indulge myself with more projects like that. And lots more time for my native plant garden, and time for yoga and staying stretched out and healthy. It already sounds like a busy life, and not that much different than the one I have now. I might feel differently in 15-20 years though.

I wonder where those of you who are talking about retirement in this thread saw yourselves when you retired when you visualized it 20 years ago.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

It would probably mean a downshift out of the grind of my very busy top 40 band.Then there's the 20 or so Padres organ gigs I get a year and the minor league hockey stuff.

I wonder where those of you who are talking about retirement in this thread saw yourselves when you retired when you visualized it 20 years ago.

It's just generally true that it's easier to intellectualize getting older but harder to predict how it feels to be older. If you're 40 and in good shape physically, you might think that being 60 will feel about the same. After all, when you were 20 you thought 40 was "old," and now your "old." But with each passing year the physical grind gets harder to love. For me that started around age 50. I'm now 58 and still in good shape, but the idea of commuting to work everyday for another several years is not appealing. And I'm just a whiny white collar worker, not someone doing actual physical labor.

So if I imagine I'm Bobby imagining what 60 will be like, I'd think I'd be ready for relief from the band gigs with the load ins, the waiting around, and the constrictive schedules. Organ gigs where you just show up and play with no collateral waiting time sound way better, especially if you've built a reputation and can bask in the prestige.

When it comes to retirement, my wife and I disagree about whether it's better to live in a small town with a slower pace of life, or instead be in a city closer to museums, concerts, and other cultural events. Because we can work remotely for now, we're trying it her way, living in Stowe Vermont where, as it happens, there are tons of retirees. I can see her point, but for me it illustrates the attraction of a small college town that can be a compromise as colleges bring a concentration of culture to an otherwise bucolic setting. That would point more towards a place like Middlebury or Hanover, NH than to Stowe, which is more a New England theme park than a real town.

A consideration that wasn't as much on people's minds 10 or even 5 years ago is climate change. Maybe you want to be in a warm climate, but what if it gets warmer? More rainy? Less rainy? Inundated with sea water? If you retire at 65 then you're trying to project the climate 20+ years in the future. Maybe the climate change experts are all wrong -- I think we all hope that they are. But if you're putting your savings into a house you're making a big bet that it continues to be liveable or that you can get enough value out of a sale to be able to move somewhere else. My nervousness about this is a factor making me want to delay retirement.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I"ll refrain from sharing my views on the subject, but I will just point out that I"m old enough to remember them predicting our impending peril at the hands of an ice age, the collapse of the ozone layer, and now extreme temps melting the ice cap⦠and suggest that you look at the actual data and see how much 'change' has actually transpired over the period of years and factor in how much more change might occur in the time frame you are worried about.

You will likely come to a conclusion that eases your worries a little (or a lot).

Bottom line IMHO is that there are far more significant things to worry about, and that the Serenity Prayer is your friend.

I"ll refrain from sharing my views on the subject, but I will just point out that I"m old enough to remember them predicting our impending peril at the hands of an ice age, the collapse of the ozone layer, and now extreme temps melting the ice cap⦠and suggest that you look at the actual data and see how much 'change' has actually transpired over the period of years and factor in how much more change might occur in the time frame you are worried about.

You will likely come to a conclusion that eases your worries a little (or a lot).

Bottom line IMHO is that there are far more significant things to worry about, and that the Serenity Prayer is your friend.

I've looked at all that because I actually work in the field and my professional associates include leading climate scientists. When I'm thinking about investing a big portion of my life's savings into property, this is something I take into account because I have choices. Not trying to tell anyone else what to do. These are individual choices. The point of this thread is to talk about the things we consider, but we're all different. Someone might say they want to be in Tennessee because they love country music. That wouldn't be high on my list, but that's just me.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Retirement wasn't on my radar 20 years ago. I was 47 years old then and beginning self-employment as a consultant so I was full-throttle into new horizons.

But 10 years ago, my wife and I began a retirement dialogue which led to an Excel worksheet. We summarized our assets & liabilities and planned finances along with what life could be like in 10 years. The Excel worksheet became our "go to document" and we revised the data and sharpened our retirement goals and we are still doing that. I fully understood why waiting until I was 66 to collect SS made sense. Now I am 67 and our plan is still unfolding. Our retirement dialogue included me buying a pickup truck, a camper and lots of overlanding gear - all with cash. This wouldn't have happened without the plan.

I can't stress enough the importance of honest and open dialogue for retirement planning. Ten years seemed to be the correct length of time to plan ahead.

Steve Coscia

In my 40"s I was scared $hitless that I was never going to be able to retireâ¦. That I would end up as a Walmart greeter (not that I look down at that by any stretchâ¦. I just don"t want to have to do that when I"m 70). Fast forward to mid 50"s & the kids were both finally out of the house, but we"d accumulated a few mountains worth of debt and were still living in a big, beautiful 3500 sq ft money soak of a house.

So, we got out of the money soak, downsized dramatically, paid off a few bills & restructured finances such that we could start aggressively attacking debt. 5 years later, we"re debt free other than our cars & house and have set ourselves on a trajectory that, if we can follow it, will have both cars & house paid off by the time my wife retires in 5 years. I think it may actually workâ¦

Interestingly, when I was getting our taxes done a few years ago, I was talking with the accountant about being woefully unprepared for retirement. He asked some questions & then pointed out that most people fund 90% of their retirement in the last 10 years of their working life, so we weren"t really that far behind the curve. That was encouraging, and at the rate we"re going, we"ll fall right into that category.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

There's no way to securely retire before the lesser of Financial Independence and Medicare Age (65), unless you're living on the edge of disaster (most of the population), or on Medicaid.

I'd retire today (58) but need the corporately provided medical plan until Medicare kicks in. Obamacare was supposed to handle this, but the consensus was that no one outside of a corporate job deserves affordable health care. I'm to the right of Attila the Hun on 99%, but agree with the communists on Health Care as a govt role. (If this gets me Banned, please delete it Mods!!)

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

So, we got out of the money soak, downsized dramatically, paid off a few bills & restructured finances such that we could start aggressively attacking debt. 5 years later, we"re debt free other than our cars & house and have set ourselves on a trajectory that, if we can follow it, will have both cars & house paid off by the time my wife retires in 5 years. I think it may actually workâ¦

Congrats! Sounds like you righted the ship while there was plenty of time to take it in a fruitful direction.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

I've looked at all that because I actually work in the field and my professional associates include leading climate scientists. When I'm thinking about investing a big portion of my life's savings into property, this is something I take into account because I have choices. Not trying to tell anyone else what to do. These are individual choices. The point of this thread is to talk about the things we consider, but we're all different. Someone might say they want to be in Tennessee because they love country music. That wouldn't be high on my list, but that's just me.

It's a huge deal for me too and has reshaped my view of where my ideal retirement place might be. There are gorgeous mountains and lakes with cool towns within a hundred miles or so of where I live. I had always pictured myself playing Beethoven in some woodland paradise, then going for a hike, then cruising into town to see the locals, shop, eat, support the local art scene. But the sad reality of climate change and accelerated drought and fire cycles has caused me to pretty much strike that fantasy from my mind.

I'm 63 now. 20 years ago I envisioned things being different than they are today. On the upside, grandkids are a blast. We have six and I enjoy my time with them so much. 20 years ago I didn't think about this at all. Unfortunately our adult kids are so busy we don't see them or the grandkids as much as we would like (kind of like that Harry Chapin song: Cats in the Cradle). On the downside, arthritis sucks but I can still play without much limitation or frustration. Fortunately people stopped shaking hands during the pandemic: those macho handshakes were painful and sometimes unexpected! A little more than 20 years ago my wife and I agreed to live within our means -- which, for us, meant our expenses had to be less than our income, we had to eliminate all debt, and we had to save money. I studied up on investing so that our saved money could make money. This has worked out well partly because of good preparation but also because the markets have been doing so well for so long.

I thought musically I'd be more active than I am. But as it turns out, I don't want any part of traveling, sound checks, being out of the house for 12 hours to play for 2 hours, difficult load ins, playing in too loud groups, playing with people I don't like, accompanying singers, sitting in traffic while driving to NYC, club dates, or playing any type of music that's mostly for entertainment value. I don't even want the commitment of being in a band so I only sub. I stopped teaching during the pandemic and didn't miss it so I've stopped. Someone asked for jazz piano lessons a couple of weeks ago and I declined letting them know that I no longer teach; this was kind of hard for me. I did some celebrity big band gigs in recent years and, while it was great playing nice venues with amazing grand pianos for appreciative crowds, I quit because it was heavy on entertainment value and low on artistic value. So I find myself playing local restaurants / bars, with good musicians, for appreciative audiences, for not a lot of money, and loving it! It reminds me of being a kid when it was so simple: when the only thing that mattered was the music.

What the hell I'll bit on this one too :laugh: When I was younger, I thought that when my life slowed down I'd finally have the time to record all the musical thoughts and ideas that were constantly swirling in my head back then.

But I'm not. They just... stopped. There's something about a senior brain - creativity is just harder and harder to come by. So definitely do that now.

Most of your other thoughts are spot on. It's a much easier life once the mortgage and vehicles are paid off. I'm living more comfortably than I ever did most of my full time working life. I think you will still love gardening and yoga, but the rest of the stuff... well your brain is going to change.

It reminds me of being a kid when it was so simple: when the only thing that mattered was the music.

I enjoyed a couple decades of the adventures of being a musician. But, I've always felt that playing music should be "fun" and never a bore or chore. That's how I approach it especially at this point in life.

As it relates to the thread, I'll never truly "retire" because I'm wired to "work" in some capacity. Whatever I choose to do will be "fun" to me. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I will never retire, partially because I won't have the financial freedom, but also because I am already doing what I would want to be doing all day anyway. I'm sure I'll be picker about gigs or they will be pickier about me, but music is all I want to do until I die, and if I stopped, I practically fear I'd die sooner.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I'm 63 and my stepson just started college, so I plan to keep my full-time job until he graduates. I'm lucky to have a job that I enjoy on most days and can endure on the worst. I'm also lucky that I started saving for retirement years ago when my parents passed on, so I could retire at any time and get by.

As for gigging, I figure I'll do it as long as I'm physically able and other musicians still want to play with me.

I have told my wife, though, to let me know if I start to look like a creepy old main up there and it's time to get off the stage. :hider:

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I have told my wife, though, to let me know if I start to look like a creepy old main up there and it's time to get off the stage. :hider:

That"s what they make hats and sunglasses for :D

Then it"s even more obvious :wink:

Here for the gear.

I'm to the right of Attila the Hun on 99%, but agree with the communists on Health Care as a govt role. (If this gets me Banned, please delete it Mods!!)

YOU talk about retirement. I don't care for it. It heterodynes badly with my denial.

"Barbour was slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun.

He had a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp,

the heart of a torso killer

and the brain of a chicken on speed."

~ Warren Ellis

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Steve Coscia - - My wife and I did the Excel thing also (spreadsheet on Google drive). Over the past few years with an improved stock market it started looking real that I could retire. I told my wife (I'm 61) that next year I am done (retiring in Jan I hope, or maybe if my employer gives me a part time option I will take that). Sent the material in the spreadsheet to our financial planner at my brokerage account and they told me the same thing (that I can retire). My wife worked for the state of Connecticut for 12 years before we moved to California 20 years ago so her pension and health care plan are a big help. Those on the forum in their 40s should invest time in a planning spreadsheet for sure. Time goes by fast. I'm not sure what I will do with all the time, but I've worked in tech since the mid 80s, and it is time to move on and start a different journey. I lift weights at the gym three days a week so I can still lift and carry all my gear. I have three music projects going. I am happier now than when I was trying to prove I was a man by working super hard to make a ton of $$$ (the ton of $$$ never came, and the time spent on it versus other things will never return). I wish the best to everyone on this forum as they approach retirement, or the younger ones on their planning and prioritizing for retirement. I do plan on breaking out all those jazz books I said I would get to "someday".... for me "someday" is right around the corner.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

First of all, wow...there are alot of old farts in this group! Yes, nevermind I am one of them.

Having worked straight 36 years in my industry as of next year, and will be turning 60 next Spring, yes, I am retiring from my 40+ hour/week day job. I have been playing music as a side hustle and hobby since I was 16 years old and for my retirement I don't see that changing except possibly playing even more often, or with several groups. I have set up a dedicated spare bedroom in our now "empty nest" house as a music studio and plan to learn how to use a DAW and VSTs to finally record some of my original ideas. In a few short years, our youngest will graduate college and then my wife and I will downsize into smaller house much closer to family AND A BEACH. As Adan has mentioned in his post, we plan on being close enough to a major city to enjoy it's culture, arts scene, amenities, eatery venues, which pretty much guarantees my ability to find my next working part time 70s to 2000s band to gig with. I have researched many articles/forums and a few books about being happy in retirement and a common theme among them is to make sure your life has purpose still. For 36 years a large part of my purpose was career driven goals. To make money, save and invest that money, and better my career position. Well, as of next year, that all will be over. I will be living off that investment and many years of saving and hard work advancing my career. A BIG change in mindset is almost upon me. Something else HAS to takes it's place. Something that makes you want to get out of bed EVERY day. For many that might be some form of volunteering. It's likely that I may volunteer as a musician in a hospice/nursing home. I remember what joy and escape music brought to my mother and the others in her memory care facility.These articles also suggest some form of structure/routine for each day/week. That might sound really contrary to enjoying your well earned freedom and "do nothing" time, but some people thrive with structure and well planned time. I am one of those people. Have something that takes you your of the house at least 3 or 4 days a week. Also social interaction on a regular basis. I am a planner type person so I can see myself making a schedule for myself. But everything on that schedule will be there because I want it there (or my wife does ;>)

Yes, I wish all current and future retirees here the best. Let's learn from one another what works, what maybe doesn't work (for some). And share in successes !

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

10 years to go 'til I can leave the office behind (at 60). Currently moving the body enough to counteract the sedentary desk job and engaging the brain learning new things (guitar).

Looking forward to a smaller house with a dedicated music room, and a schedule that will accommodate daily practice + creative time.

I can't see myself getting bored, ever.

Feeling lucky and grateful.

I make software noises.

With nearly seven years under my belt I can thoroughly recommend Retirement from the rat run that is or rather was work.

Now I do what I want, when I want and with who I want.

No more rush hour commute, no more idiotic Corporate prats who are only interested in a quick buck at the expense of the quality of life of their staff.

The sheer bliss of walking our dog in the woods or on the beach or in amongst the hills.

Yep, Retirement sure beats working for a living.

Take some advice, between now and the time your Retirement comes, develop activities that you want to take up or expand upon what your interests are, keep active and after a few months being Retired you will wonder how on earth you found time to work.

Col

To be honest I had no financial plan the closest thing to one was knowing I would inherit my parent house, being I'm a only child. So when mother got up in years and starting to mentally fade got a her to lawyer and to make a living will. A year or so later something came and I discover that living will was really screwed up. So did my research and a recommendation when to a different lawyer who specializes in senior law and paid $$$ to have everything rewritten. That pretty much was the extend of my planning and it was worth the money. After my mother passed I went to the lawyer and with living trust he wrote it was easy everything passed to me. He got me grandfathered so my parent house I inherited their low tax status and I paid very little inheritance tax. That was the extent of my planning. I took some time off then worked jobs I liked that covered my basic living expenses until I decided to retire a few years early. I sold the house moved somewhere less crowded and less expensive and just enjoying playing and studying music.

I've had my issues in life like all of us have but somehow financially I've always had enough to pay my bills. Sometimes I had to cut back, but for me as long as I could listen, play and study music I was content. So that was part of why I never did any planning I just trusted I would somehow have enough to get by and I have.

I recently turned 66 and played my first gig in 18 months⦠and LOVED IT! I really missed performing. Whenever I think I am getting too old to do this, I watch 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown'. The smiles on those octogenarians" faces were huge! If those cats can do it at 80 and up, I can do it at 66â¦.

And if at 69 years old, David Byrne can perform this one hour and forty-five minute show for 8 performances a week⦠you can too.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• 2 years later...

Zombie thread... :ohmy:

Today is the first day of the "retired" chapter of my life.  Not that I'm just gonna play golf for the rest of my days, but I hung up the "software engineer" career boots this last Friday.  When I started my first job in 1981, the screens were green, computer operators wore white lab coats, and a 16Mb hard drive was the size of a washing machine... 

• Like 7

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

4 minutes ago, Brad Kaenel said:

Zombie thread... :ohmy:

Today is the first day of the "retired" chapter of my life.  Not that I'm just gonna play golf for the rest of my days, but I hung up the "software engineer" career boots this last Friday.  When I started my first job in 1981, the screens were screen, computer operators wore white lab coats, and a 16Mb hard drive was the size of a washing machine... 

...and now the kids grow up with writing code in their dna, so that when they want to take a little time off from work, they write code for some personal project. And software devs are expected to learn a new language, api, and dev toolkit for each and every job.  I was so glad to leap off the developer treadmill 7 years ago, and I can't imagine it has gotten any less stressful since.

Moe

---

I turn 54 next week and, for the first time as am thinking about retirement. As someone with an inner child (well, much younger man) constantly shocked by this old fella following around the house I keep glancing in mirrors, the concept of not working anymore terrifies me.

Not particularly financial either, I get a teachers pension at 60, have a workplace pension and full state pension (UK) at 67, no debt, no dependents and I plan to have enough in savings to live modestly off the interest. And yet I hanker after joining another band and getting back into music (or moving overseas to teach) while I still can.

Funny how a I lived quite a crazy reckless youth and joked that I would never reach retirement and here I am planning for it and hoping that the antics of my youth don’t diminish my lifespan any further…

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5