Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD-88 -- No Media / EMPTY

From time to time, mostly with Sibelius or GarageBand open, the back of my Roland RD-88 Keyboard will open up and all the tones will fall out. After awhile, with some finagling, they will crawl back up the stand and back into my keyboard, but it is very annoying.

So, hopefully the two files I have attached are viewable. If not, I will say that:

...I'm going along, whatever, the the displayed scene will show an asterisk, and say "no media", where it should be displaying the current tone.

...When I arrow down into the tone, I get a big, fat, all caps "EMPTY". I toggle back and forth between the two,

...After pressing other square buttons, and then back to "one touch piano", I finally get a tone back into the display, but then it happens right away again.

Does anybody know why this happens or how I can stop it? It just started a few days ago. I had used both Sibelius and GB separately and concurrently, but this just started. Help! I need Somebody!!

Kathleen

1690.thumb.jpg.37010024c6a5b3644c8016e3ec15cacc.jpg

1691.thumb.jpg.4855de5f9873c03d678a7e9ec191ac77.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From time to time, mostly with Sibelius or GarageBand open, the back of my Roland RD-88 Keyboard will open up and all the tones will fall out. After awhile, with some finagling, they will crawl back up the stand and back into my keyboard, but it is very annoying.

I have no idea, but I love the way you wrote this! :roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

First, welcome Kathleen to MPN and Keyboard Corner!!! This is a great forum.

The suggestion to reinstall the firmware/sounds on the Roland is a good one. What Mac OS are you running? How much RAM? Is there plenty of free space on your hard drive?

Also consider re-installing Sibelius and/or contacting support.

I am unfamiliar with Sibelius, can it write MIDI files to Garage Band? If you can write a MIDI file to Garage Band with Sibelius you may be able to test for "funny" data. You would be able to play the Roland or soft synth plugins with the MIDI file. If they play OK then it may be some other incompatibility. If they play goofy then that might be the problem.

Something I do before I play with my audio/recording toys is press the option-command and escape keys all down at the same time. This will bring up the Force Quit function and you can shut down any and all programs except the ones you are going to use.

When things get wonky, a good first step is to eliminate the variables. With any and all other programs off, try using the Roland with just Sibelius and also just with Garage Band. That may tell you something useful. Sometimes, restarting the computer will put things right.

Persistence is key!!!! Good luck, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Well, that's just weird... I'm going to try connecting my RD88 to an iPad, opening GarageBand, and seeing what happens. The RD88 is a quirky, but kind of lovable instrument; it's bears some semblance to one of the Chihuahua mixes that share our space. I have my edits backed up, so maybe I can reproduce the problem, and make my RD's soul leave its body.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Also, you might want to install a MAC OS MIDI Ox equivalent on your Mac and see if Sibelius or GarageBand is transmitting any "funny" data or MIDI messages.

That would be MIDI Monitor by snoize.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 8 months later...

Hello, hello, hello.. Long time no C. SO.......

Messing around with my RD-88, Sibelius, and Garageband all at the same time, I would get the "No Media" blurb. It seemed this was so bogus. But....Now I think it is the Roland RD-88 communicating with me. As in,

I would play something (grand staff) back from Sibelius, the RD-88 displaying "no media"

It would play back and record nicely into GB as a piano

But I wanted more. (Don't we all?)

I wanted to play back from Sibelius into my RD-88 (and therefore record into GB) as a sax, or guitar, or flute.

I would select via the RD-88 options a scene with sax, guitar, or flute.

I would play from Sibelius, get "no media", and hear the nice piano, the Grand Piano default, which would record into GB.

GRRRRR

Then I accidentally pressed a tone/scene/favorite on the Roland and - WALL-AH ! The playback and recording into GB was indeed that tone/scene/favorite. It was magic. Or good engineering among all parties, I'm not sure.

The lesson is you have to select a scene a 2nd time to get it to stick if you want to playback or record other than the original staff, staves that are written within Sibelius.

It could be that everyone else has figured this out by now, or just don't care, but I'm excited. I now have my version of Dixieland in a chorus of flutes. Glorious.

All the best!