Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ash the world turns...

Caevan thank you, I did see the pic of the case you posted. I really like the lining in yours, the other one looks kinda cheap, flimsy or whatever word I'm looking for compared to yours.

Oh! Sorry; looking closely, I can't say that you're wrong. It's too bad Fender doesn't make a Strat-compatible version of the "thermometer case"! As it is, though, a Telecaster fits very snugly in there- at first I even wondered if it was going to fit at all! And a Strat wouldn't fit at all.

Fender does have some very nice Fender-branded, "tweed" covered rectangular versions of their Classic series and Deluxe series hardshell cases, among other coverings and linings, in various colors.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caevan thank you, I did see the pic of the case you posted. I really like the lining in yours, the other one looks kinda cheap, flimsy or whatever word I'm looking for compared to yours.

Oh! Sorry; looking closely, I can't say that you're wrong. It's too bad Fender doesn't make a Strat-compatible version of the "thermometer case"! As it is, though, a Telecaster fits very snugly in there- at first I even wondered if it was going to fit at all! And a Strat wouldn't fit at all.

Fender does have some very nice Fender-branded, "tweed" covered rectangular versions of their Classic series and Deluxe series hardshell cases, among other coverings and linings, in various colors.

i love the tweed with the red lining. I've never been crazy about surf green, but the surf green case is very cool. For now, at least. they are a little to much for me. I have a gator hardshell case that will do just fine.

Jenny S.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Caevan, We haven't heard any "Ash the World Turns" news lately...any new progress on your project? :popcorn:

Hey, Larry! I did finally get my bridge-plate (photos shown above), and control knobs- including a cool black-nickel-plated, knurled steel switch-tip for the 3-Way/6-Position pickup-selector.

Just a few hold-ups now, not the least of which involves job changes and my putting ALL unnecessary spending on myself on a temporary hold. Plus, I really want to do EVRYTHING 1,000% the RIGHT way, the FIRST time- I'll probably have an extremely seasoned, experienced pro do finish and final fret-work on the fretboard and neck (one or another type of lacquer on the fretboard and headstock face, sides and back, probably Tung Oil and Butcher's Wax on the back of the neck, final fret leveling).

By that time that's all done and cured, I'll put the tuners on their- vintage style press-in bushings- press the string-through ferrules into the back of the body, drilled for and installed the Straploks (tail-end will be counter-sunk/flush-mounted), and will have begun wiring the controls. Then I can string 'er up and do some trial-testing of two different kinds of pots and a variety of tone-capacitors.

Then I'll finally really be DONE- I think! :D:rawk:

Very Cool Caevan, thanks for the link from the Firefly but I monitor your progress whenever I see anything new added to your thread...Thanks for the Update and for keeping us posted. I like the idea of comparing pots and caps by listening to them before installing them. The pics above are great and really show off the finish very well! Keep up the good 1,000% right work. The bridge saddles are a little different than what I imagined as I thought you were having individual intonation adjustments like on the 6 saddle Tele bridge or a custom 3 barrel saddle with adjustments (if they make them) ? Anyway it still looks very cool !

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/all-hardware-and-parts-by-instrument/electric-guitar-parts/electric-guitar-bridges-and-tailpieces/non-trem-electric-guitar-bridges/traditional-6-saddle-bridge-for-telecaster/?

:thu:

Take care, Larryz

I like the idea of comparing pots and caps by listening to them before installing them. The pics above are great and really show off the finish very well! Keep up the good 1,000% right work.

I have some mini alligator-clamps that I'm going to use to temporarily wire the pots and caps together; the caps by long wires hanging out of the control-cavity so that I can switch them easily- I might even make a test-jig that I can put at least two caps on, and compare with a switch.

Of course, after I'd gotten my pots, I started to like the idea of a push/push or push/pull tone-pot to switch between two different tone-caps; a lower-value, brighter sounding cap like .0015mfd as Cap 1, then a higher value, darker sounding cap such as .033mfd, .047mfd or so as Cap 2 for darker, deeper treble-removal and using the tone-knob for 'parked-wah' and 'wah-wah'/'truck and train horn' tricks.

For now, though, I'll stay with the 'regular' tone-pots that I have, choose between 'em and also the caps, get 'er wired-up right and consider a push/push dual-cap tone-pot later. Much later.

The bridge saddles are a little different than what I imagined as I thought you were having individual intonation adjustments like on the 6 saddle Tele bridge or a custom 3 barrel saddle with adjustments (if they make them) ? Anyway it still looks very cool ! :thu:

I'm going with the three-barrel-saddle array, but- note in the photos- saddles machined for intonation compensation. And titanium for the wound 6th/Low-E and 5th/A strings, brass for the plain 1st/High-E and 2nd/B strings. I'll try both titanium and brass for the 'middle' saddle, the 4th/D (wound) and 3rd/G (plain) strings, to compare and decide. I'll probably go with the brass saddle for the middle-two, but we'll see. Or, rather, hear.

I've even already got a super cool 'B-Bender' saddle for the 1st-E/2nd-B, a machined brass Rolling Bender for pedal-steel like bending of the B-string; see example below. (It requires NO modifications, it's a simple saddle replacement, just needs a screwdriver, and still strings through from the back of the body! :cool: ) But THAT will wait until later, after setting-up with the 'regular' barrel-saddles and after I get everything else done and KerrRRAAANGG!! :rawk:

d5nLo2C.jpg

I really like that B-Bender concept for simplicity installation and I love the Steel Guitar sounds you can get with a bender on a Tele. My Taylor T3B has a push/pull volume to switch both pups from Humbuckers to Singles and a push/pull tone to switch caps? and or just 500k to 250k on the pot...I'm guessing it's the pot switching. Stewmac has a Fender short shaft push/pull pot for $9 bucks that does the 500/250 trick. Would be worth a try when testing. I use 22uf orange drop caps for my other humbucker equipped guitar and Gibson audio taper 500k pots and it sounds cool...My LP Jr with the single P90 uses Gibson 500k audio taper pots and an orange drop cap and sounds cool...

I sold my Tele to my son-n-law and the first thing he did was swap out the cutaway bridge plate with the individual flat Strat saddles (that I really liked) for the ashtray bridge plate like yours. He went with the titanium 5th and 6th and brass for the 4th 3rd 2nd and 1st like yours. That seems to be the consensus among Tele players...looking forward to your cap and pot tests! :thu:

ps. Stewmac also has a push/pull Gibson 500k audio taper pot for $25 bucks that could be used for phase or caps swapping etc. I really like audio taper pots...

Take care, Larryz

• 4 months later...

I think of cases as something of an investment in the safety of my gear, so don’t  cheap out on them.  But neither do I go nuts.  I don’t know that I’ve spent $200 on a replacement HSC.  (I have a couple custom guitars that came in very nice cases indeed…)

Most of my aftermarket cases are from Gator, with a few Road Runners thrown in.  I’ve got at least one Fender and an Epiphone.

Then there’s things like the brand or model specific ones I have for certain guitars.

if you want more info or tips, send me a private message, or better yet, start a thread!  I bet the community could help you f8nd something that ticks most or all of your boxes.

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

RE: Cases -

Most of my HSC's came from a company in Canada, TKL. They're not cheap, but they're very dependable. I also have a nice Gator HSC for my Taylor A/E. Funny thing, the 12-string HSC was less than the Dreadnought, so I got the 12-string case.

I have one Road Runner HSC from Guitar Center, and I'd say for the money (under $100), it's not bad.

• Like 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

31 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

I have a gator hard shell for my Deluxe Player and just keep my Squier in a gig bag. That works for now. I just like the looks of the case Caevan had for his Telecaster, but at least for now my needs are met and wants can wait.

I tote all my gig guitars in gig bags. I have cases for some of my other guitars but they mostly stay at home.

All good quality padded gig bags. I love having backpack straps. I roll my amp and bag in on a dolly with the guitar on my back. One trip in and out, done. 

In the last band, the singer kept trying to get me to bring other guitars to the gig. These were just bar band gigs so I never did it. Don't want to have to keep track of them, spend time hooking them up and/or tuning them and other guitarists want to sit in on them. Gah!!!

Locking tuners make all the difference, I don't break strings often but it's fast and easy to replace one if I do. 

Mostly now I use a Franken Strat with a scalloped fret board. Other players want to sit in until they see that neck, then they go back to drinking beer. 😁

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 1/24/2022 at 8:13 PM, surfergirl said:

Anything new to report?

Haahh! 'S been a while, huh? 😏 I was unexpectedly 'between jobs' for a long time, so I had to put any such spending on a temporary hiatus and the Telebastard project was on hold. I have most of what I need, but there's still a little more, primarily material supplies and tools ; and I will probably have someone else do a few things that I don't have the equipment and/or experienced expertise to 'do right the first time'.

The good news is, in late November (2021) I started a new job with comparable pay and VASTLY better benefits. As I catch up, I'll be able to resume and the

KerrRRRAAANGG!!
Thanks for asking!

• Like 4