Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which 61-key MIDI controller

The Akai MPK series is quite old, out since 2014, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think it'd be wise to buy one now, as they're probably going to be succeeded by something new...

I am not really concerned about the age of the instrument, as long as it is well built.

I am rather interested in the keypad quality (I would use it for live gigs) and key dimensions. Unfortunately, the nearest shops don't have the AKAI and the Arturia available, so I have to rely on reviews and other user advices.

The AKAI MPK261 is sold as full-sized keys, but I have read that its keys aren't really full-size. Arturia keylab Mk2 are bigger?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, decided, (almost)...

I really think the Novation SL MK3 and Ableton will be more than I can chew, being a complete novice.

So, I've turned my attention to Native Instruments, not the S-series, but rather the A-series. Good quality and everything I need, really. Will be adding a Maschine Mikro MK3.

Like their software offerings, but there's still a small chance I might go for the 'all in one' Keylab MK2 (I like the Arturia 'ecosystem' as well).

And since I'll be using a separate 88 key board, there's no need for a 61 key controller so I'll be going for a 49 key one instead, and it'll even leave me some extra free space on my desk.

For the 88 key, think I'll go back to the MX88, one that has been on my rader for a while. Solid decent keybed, and very good quality overall, and good fun, even when using without a computer, shoudl the need arise.

My MP11SE is being picked up by someone next Wednesday so i'll be ordering the new stuff pretty quickly. Happy times ;)

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...

Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak

Right, decided, (almost)...

I really think the Novation SL MK3 and Ableton will be more than I can chew, being a complete novice.

So, I've turned my attention to Native Instruments, not the S-series, but rather the A-series. Good quality and everything I need, really. Will be adding a Maschine Mikro MK3.

Like their software offerings, but there's still a small chance I might go for the 'all in one' Keylab MK2 (I like the Arturia 'ecosystem' as well).

And since I'll be using a separate 88 key board, there's no need for a 61 key controller so I'll be going for a 49 key one instead, and it'll even leave me some extra free space on my desk.

For the 88 key, think I'll go back to the MX88, one that has been on my rader for a while. Solid decent keybed, and very good quality overall, and good fun, even when using without a computer, shoudl the need arise.

My MP11SE is being picked up by someone next Wednesday so i'll be ordering the new stuff pretty quickly. Happy times ;)

YMMV and I hate to keep harping on these things, but now that you"ve changed your focus to a 49-key, be aware: many controllers in this category do not have an expression pedal input or 9 sliders. You may or may not think these are important now, but later as you broaden your library you may find you"ll wish you had them. There are only a few that feature both.

Here for the gear.

Keylab MK2 has expression pedal input, even on the 49 key model, and I watch tons of positive videos and read as many positive reviews but the negative comments keep sticking to the back of my head...

As for sound libraries, I think Native Instruments has the edge but not by all that much.

I"m a novice, but enlighten me : why would I miss an expression pedal and faders ? I"m not going to play organ, not going to perform live, I"ll just be messing around in an amateuristic home studio.

Which use case could warrant the use of expression pedal and faders ?

And if I get the MX88 as well, which has expression pedal inputs, can I not consider that as a 'workaround" ?

Still no faders, though. Perhaps some external add-on later on, something like a Korg NanoControl ?

Edit : apparently, there are USB expression 'pedals' you can connect to your setup. And external fader controls as well, should the need arise.

Of course, one would have to configure those manually for use in your DAW, but could that not be a solution, further down the road ?

Edit 2 : what about 'interoperability' with third party VST's, sounds, plug-ins, or whatver. Native Instruments has the NKS standard and is more 'open', apparently, whereas Arturia's software supposedly only works with libraries from Arturia.

Also, since Arturia is said to have adopted the NKS standard, you can use Arturia libraries in NI Kontrol, but not the other way around ?

How does all that relate to DAW integration etc. I'm a novice so I'm bound to ask stupid questions.

I've also read that the Native Instruments ecosystem is more flexible and more open, so easier to expand later on.

How do you see this ?

Edit 3 : going out on a very big limb here... I'd go for the A49 and the Mikro Maschine. The MX88 as a 88 key controller for the piano parts (and I do want to have separate keyboards). But... since the MX88 costs just as much as an Arturia Keylab MK2 88, why not go for that instead ? Would i not have the 'best of both worlds' ? Could I use the software from both Arturia and Native Instruments together with Logic ? Seems like a good compromise but I've got a feeling there may be a caveat...

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak

why would I miss an expression pedal and faders ? I"m not going to play organ, not going to perform live, I"ll just be messing around in an amateuristic home studio.

Which use case could warrant the use of expression pedal and faders ?

And if I get the MX88 as well, which has expression pedal inputs, can I not consider that as a 'workaround" ?

Still no faders, though. Perhaps some external add-on later on, something like a Korg NanoControl ?

Edit : apparently, there are USB expression 'pedals' you can connect to your setup. And external fader controls as well, should the need arise.

Of course, one would have to configure those manually for use in your DAW, but could that not be a solution, further down the road ?

Sorry if my post wasn"t clear enough. The amount of research you"re applying to this suggests that you"re looking for the optimal controller. Of course you can do what ever you want, make do, work around pretty much anything, upgrade later or not, predict that by next year your needs will be as limited as they are today. I used the word 'may' a few times in my post, including 'may not.' Just pointing out a couple of things to think about, is all. :cool:

Here for the gear.

I know, point taken.

My problem is that I'm always looking for perfection, and I imageine different scenarios to achieve that.

But I know I'm going to have to compromise since there's no such thing as the perfect controller, or setup, for that matter...

21st century...

Still, my question remains : can the two 'eco-systems", Arturia and Native Instruments coexist in one DAW, whether it"s Logic or Ableton ?

21st century...

Several years back, I looked at controllers and ended up getting a Keylab 49.

It was one of the very few that had release velocity.

Surprise bonus is that it also has a breath controller input.

It can be also be used as a generic controller, so if your softsynths have midi learn,

it's a simple matter to assign the knobs and sliders to parameters.

• 6 months later...
I reviewed both the Novation and the Arturia. TL;DR either will work for your needs but keyboard feel is subjective.

The former is awesome for use with Live, which I would agree is a more 'fun' DAW than Logic but might be completely the wrong thing for you (it is VERY much an acquired taste as its workflow substantially differs from every other DAW out there). It's well built, feels great... my only problem with it, and it seems silly that this is such a dealkiller BUT IT IS, is that there's no dedicated ninth fader for master volume.

? You can't assign that to another fader or knob?

As for the Novation : it's actually hard to find something negative about it.
It doesn't have full transport controls on board (no rewind). Some may not care about that, but for me, I'm using it exclusively for recording and will be using those controls a lot...in fact one of the main reasons I want a controller...so that's a deal breaker.