Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paging Mike Rivers - Dobro Tuning & Wellness Check

Hey Mike - Haven't seen you around these parts in a while, I hope all is well.

I looked up Dobro tuning and I the main reference is to G B D G B D. But are there other popular Dobro tunings?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to hear from Sir Mike as well. I'll shoot him a PM.

As to Dobro tunings, there are MANY.

https://ezinearticles.com/?Dobro-Tunings---Tuning-a-Dobro-For-Maximum-Musical-Depth&id=1773943

There is no reason not to invent your own. Or use standard guitar tuning since it is familiar and offers both minor (1st, 2nd and 3rd strings) and major (2nd, 3rd and 4th strings) chords.

Huge strings and tuned low sounds pretty awesome too, I have an 8 string Framus lap steel and the low strings are B and G way below standard 6th string E. It's like slide baritone.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

This is not looking good. I'm particularly sensitive to this because Wes Wammer, one of the drivers for Gibson's buses, died yesterday of covid.

I would have called Mike a couple of days ago. I don't have his number. Maybe Dave Bryce or somebody has it?

I'll poke around a bit.

I would be shocked if Dave Bryce had it. I do not have his number, and do not believe I ever did. I have attempted to contact him through his blog, and will let you know if I hear anything.

I would be shocked if Dave Bryce had it. I do not have his number, and do not believe I ever did. I have attempted to contact him through his blog, and will let you know if I hear anything.

You know much more about MPN than I ever will. Dave B does know a lot of people on here, many more than I do. He may not have it but he might know somebody who does.

Dave is the Kevin Bacon of pro audio. I doubt anyone on these boards have met more people in person than Dave.

Dave is the Kevin Bacon of pro audio. I doubt anyone on these boards have met more people in person than Dave.

Yep, hence my contacting him.

I have a couple of friends locally who know "everyone", that is a valuable aspect since I haven't been here that long or been that social.

I heard back from MIke. Maybe? He sent me a link to a Mackie manual without answering whether he was doing okay. No idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm alive and well, thanks for the concern. I was thinking about Mike Rivers last night. It doesn't make sense to me to keep sending PMs when the 2 I've sent have gone unanswered.

All I can do now is hope that Mike is OK.

I've been feeling great, better every day as my foot recovers. I have PT today and really looking forward to it. Swelling is going down and flexibility is improving. I can walk quite a distance without any undue discomfort.

Missed almost the entire summer, so it goes.

• 3 weeks later...
Still no Mike Rivers. No new posts in his Wordpress blog...search doesn't turn up much, except for older articles. It's like he disappeared without a trace, which is very concerning.

I still haven't heard anything and have tried multiple times and attempted to search as well. Not sure.