Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai ES520 passes my 5 min test

I picked up my new ES520 today. It so great to connect right away with a digital piano. Really easy to dive into menus to tweak.

(It made me think how I had the opposite feeling when I bought a Nord Piano3. Within 5 minutes, I knew I could never connect with the acoustic piano and to be sure I tried all of them.)

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, I picked up an ES-920 back in spring from the local Kawai dealer. I wanted to try the ES-520 as well, but they only stock the ES-920 so I would've had to buy one to try it out.

Very easy interface to navigate and tweak. I'll probably never use the "arranger" features on it. I just wanted a decent digital piano for the basement.

How does the action feel on it? I heard some negative comments from the Pianoforever guy on YouTube. I loved the 110 when I played it at NAMM several years ago. The 520 was going to be my next DP purchase until I heard about the new Numa Piano X.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

How does the action feel on it? I heard some negative comments from the Pianoforever guy on YouTube. I loved the 110 when I played it at NAMM several years ago. The 520 was going to be my next DP purchase until I heard about the new Nord Piano X.

I just played ES520 with your question how does action feel. I can't tell you it feels just like the ES110 as the samples/effects are better and that influences how I feel about an action. It's a light action like the 110 but in a good way. For perspective, I love the action on my N2 in a good way. Some ppl have said it's heavy. What I mean by "good way," is the N2 is a real action (except for the changes to accommodate no strings,) but it is not sluggish. IMHO sometimes digital pianos in their attempt to duplicate a heavy feel end up with a sluggish heavy feel action that can hurt your hands. I'd rather have a light action that I can compensate using more arm weight. IMHO you can't use too much finger strength on a light action. My other favorite action was on a Roland FP4, another action that is light.

Disclaimer: I am not a action expert (or expert on anything,) but I feel I do something right as I have never hurt my hands or wrists playing.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251