Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia SQ 80 V

Just announced.

[video:youtube]

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the floppy disk on the left. Ensoniq made the diskette era a lot more fun. Added props for providing three oscillators and not skimping. Its a nice historic addition, but maybe a bit late in a field covered up with wavetable synths. See: Waldorf M thread.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

Let's see, $50 for a Virtual Instrument vs. $2250 for a hardware tabletop synth module, and we're making comparisons and/or calling the VI redundant in today's market?

I was never much of an Ensoniq SQ80 fan, but this VI might change my mind, based on the audio demos so far. I plan to buy it right after a late dinner.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The Analog Lab V download is broken, apparently, and doesn't show up in my user account so can't be directly downloaded either. Arturia Software Center keeps failing on the update. At least SQ80 installed fine though. But I'm not seeing the extra banks yet; I'll re-find the original page as a reminder of their names as there might be direct downloads available until the Arturia Software Center update works.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

https://www.arturia.com/support/downloads&manuals

That's the download site for Analog Lab V (it doesn't show up under your products at your account page).

I was able to download and install it fine from there, after which SQ80 V finally showed the two free banks.

I'm pretty sure this is fairly new behaviour, that an Analog Lab V update is required for the individual VI's to show their extra sound banks.

The SQ-80 was basically an "improved" version of the ESQ-1/M. The ESQ was basically a digital waveform synth with an analog filter. Lots of programming options with four envelopes per voice, three digital oscillators. Has the basic waveforms plus a bunch of sample-based ones (basses, organs etc.).

I actually bought an Ensoniq ESQ-M rack module last year, in almost near mint condition (without a RAM cartridge though, which tend to be expensive...and essential - the ESQ only stored 40 sounds). Mostly because I always like(d) the company (and E-MU, also demised) and because people hyped up the unit so much. The rack version is also really scarce so I jumped at the chance.

I have to say, though...been feeling pretty underwhelmed by it. Sound-wise, it isn't nearly as fat and warm as the JX-8P which has a similar idea behind it. And you need to be able to program it yourself, all the sounds I found for it are FM-sounding trash. I'm not a great synth programmer at all, so I might let it go - I see them going for a pretty penny these days. The analog filter does sound nice. You can create good sounding funky poly patches, pads and also housey organs with it.

I did manage to cobble up a couple of hundred SysEx sounds together, though - I wonder if the SQ-80-V reads them?

I checked my offer page on Arturia's website and I can buy SQ-80 V and I can upgrade my Rhodes and Jupiter-8 or upgrade to V-Collection 8 for $150. I think I remember reading somewhere that someone was going to wait until October 1st as they are expecting V-Collection 9 to be dropped. Wondering if I should wait as well if that's the case. Anyone have any insight on a new V-Collection? I'm currently running V-Collection 7.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I hope Arturia didn't program the bugs/issues Ensoniq KBs were known to have back in the day.:laugh:

To be fair, I enjoyed playing Ensoniq KBs. I just didn't like having to keep a couple screwdrivers in my gig bag. :D

I hope the software version is a reliable trip down memory lane. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I found my ESQ-1 a dream to program. I don't remember if the rack unit had the same huge display though.

I own an ESQ-1. You're right, it's a very intuitive synth to program.

The ESQ-M has a small one-lined display.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I checked my offer page on Arturia's website and I can buy SQ-80 V and I can upgrade my Rhodes and Jupiter-8 or upgrade to V-Collection 8 for $150. I think I remember reading somewhere that someone was going to wait until October 1st as they are expecting V-Collection 9 to be dropped. Wondering if I should wait as well if that's the case. Anyone have any insight on a new V-Collection? I'm currently running V-Collection 7.

I just updated to the 8V collection, and all that stuff was included with it - the SQ80V and two soundbanks, and the synths that they were charging extra for as updates, like the Jup V4.

The current sale runs until Oct, 5 and I think they'll probably give it some time to settle in before they announce V9.

If you wait for V9, it'll be at the intro price, not like the current V8 sale price. Just something to consider.