Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Photos: Waves of Flags-Patriot Day 9/11, Pepperdine Univ, CA

51444470083_3687447c04_b.jpg

Since 2008, and started by students, Pepperdine University in Malibu, California has staged the Waves of Flags display for Patriot Day. Each flag represents one of the lives lost in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. The sight of nearly 3,000 flags perched on their lawn is at turns inspiring yet heart wrenching.

51444470158_a0c951dc3c_b.jpg

As with most, I vividly remember how I found out about 9/11 and the shock I felt as it unfolded. While driving in to work, I listened intently to what was ordinarily a goofy early morning comedy show on a rock station. They weren't very goofy this morning. It was a whirlwind of panic, confusion, shock, and more as they reported on things that they heard, some true, some rumor.

When I heard that an airplane had crashed into the World Trade Center, I initially assumed it was something like a small Cessna, and that it had been an accident. But of course, as it unfolded, I realized this was not what had happened.

51444969264_2c448fd2d6_b.jpg

My friends and family in New York were gobsmacked. Panic, confusion, shock, defiance, fear. Their emotions swung wildly in the weeks that followed. Many of us also felt patriotism, anger, sadness, and/or xenophobia as well.

51443467197_1b8897a94d_b.jpg

The attacks have left an indelible mark on our nation's psyche. As with most Americans, I subconsciously divide our country's timeline into before and after 9/11.

51444470233_e5b28327ff_b.jpg

I had this idea. I would wake up early, drive to Pepperdine University in Malibu, and photograph the flags in the glorious morning light.

The fog had other ideas.

Still, I figured I would try to make lemonade out of lemons. I needed to be flexible. I decided to photograph using some of my more unusual lenses, including the Lensbaby Sweet 35 and my Rokinon 12mm fisheye. And given the fog, I decided that it might look better in black and white.

51445187350_ae6e72dc60_b.jpg

~~~~~

Pentax K-1/ and Nikon D750

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shortly after 9-11, I attended a concert by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra. The first thing they played was not on the program, it was The Star Spangled Banner. I don't think there was a dry eye in the concert hall.

People seem to consider the US involvement in Afghanistan as a 20-year war, but Reagan put our troops there in 1983. It only escalated when Bin Laden attacked us with suicide jets hijacking, and he did that to protest US troops on Afghanistan soil. So we have been there 38 years, and personally, I'm glad we are finally out.

So it's nice to remember 9-11, but it is also important to remember that it was caused by having US Troops occupying a country in which we didn't belong in. Just like our involvement in Viet Nam, it didn't end well, and pulling out was chaos.

Let's try not to make that mistake again.

Notes

BTW, nice pictures Ken

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Thanks. I did want to create a mood and story with these images. 20 years. So much has changed since then.