Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM 2022 postponed (no big surprise....)

The world's biggest music gear show has been postponed. The NAMM Show in Anaheim, California is moving from January 2022 to June 3-5 2022, citing the "health and safety" of its members.

The industry has not stopped evolving and innovating during the pandemic, and The NAMM Show is evolving, as well," says Joe Lamond, NAMM President and CEO. "As the health and safety of our members remains top of mind, and after carefully listening to companies here in the U.S. and around the world, the new dates will help members maximise their opportunity and accelerate what has arguably been a transformative time both in new products and in how they come to market.

"I imagine this gathering will have the kind of impact of a Beatles moment or the introduction of MIDIâdefinitely one you will not want to miss.'

https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-show-2022-postponed

No giant surprise here. Regardless, I had no intention of attending if for whatever reason they had held it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you missed the thread in the Keyboard forum, which didn't mention Nashville or the January event, here are some more details:

The National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) announced that The NAMM Show, the annual 'family reunion' of the global music, sound, and entertainment technology industry, will reconvene in Anaheim, California at the Anaheim Convention Center on June 3â5, 2022. Previously scheduled for January 20â23, the new dates will offer global industry leaders, buyers, sellers, music educators, artists, media, and music makers the opportunity to reconnect and renew their businesses while taking greater advantage of reimagined indoor and outdoor events, activations, professional development sessions, an expanded digital reach, and more at the crossroads of business opportunity.

There won't be a Nashville show in 2022. Note that the Anaheim NAMM will be three days instead of the usual four. Meanwhile, for those who get nostalgic about January, on Friday, January 21, NAMM will host a one-day global livestreamed event called Believe in Music: The online global gathering to unify and support the people who bring music to the world.

Happy pandemic weirdness, everyone!

Today, The National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) announced that The NAMM Show, the annual 'family reunion' of the global music, sound, and entertainment technology industry, will reconvene in Anaheim, California at the Anaheim Convention Center on June 3â5, 2022. Previously scheduled for January 20â23, the new dates will offer global industry leaders, buyers, sellers, music educators, artists, media, and music makers the opportunity to reconnect and renew their businesses while taking greater advantage of reimagined indoor and outdoor events, activations, professional development sessions, an expanded digital reach, and more at the crossroads of business opportunity.

https://www.namm.org/news/press-releases/transformation-awaits-namm-show-announces-return

I think they would be better off just going virtual.

I dunno...no one in our industry has really managed to pull off a virtual show yet, IMO. :idk:

I believe a large part of it really comes down to being able to provide a decent amount of content online that's not already there, and not being able to provide the interaction with the people who normally would be there.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

:yeahthat:

No offense to anyone who was involved with running this past year's virtual NAMM show, which I attended, but it was really not even worth "going" to. I don't think it's something that translates well to a virtual platform, and it honestly seemed like an unintuitive mess as a visitor. So I could totally see why they wouldn't want to do another virtual NAMM.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

:yeahthat:

No offense to anyone who was involved with running this past year's virtual NAMM show, which I attended, but it was really not even worth "going" to. I don't think it's something that translates well to a virtual platform, and it honestly seemed like an unintuitive mess as a visitor. So I could totally see why they wouldn't want to do another virtual NAMM.

I think there were three problems: The platform, the hyper-short lead times, and the inexperience in the virtual world. But I can't fault them for trying their best (and they really did).

I agree. Not to different from many colleges having to move totally online last minute for the first time. You have to give people grace.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I dunno...no one in our industry has really managed to pull off a virtual show yet, IMO. :idk:

Well to be fair, that's only because no one has hired me as a consultant, LOL. When I was running Harmony Central, I had a stealth plan to create virtual trade shows, and it was actually quite developed. This was back in the early 2000s, because I figured the world would have to go virtual eventually. Of course, the GC overlords at the time thought I was insane. Which may be true, but still...

Broadband was also an issue. I thought that by now, the US would at least be ahead of Romania.

Well to be fair, that's only because no one has hired me as a consultant, LOL. When I was running Harmony Central, I had a stealth plan to create virtual trade shows, and it was actually quite developed. This was back in the early 2000s, because I figured the world would have to go virtual eventually. Of course, the GC overlords at the time thought I was insane. Which may be true, but still...

Broadband was also an issue. I thought that by now, the US would at least be ahead of Romania.

We are #27 in internet connectivity. Uh, hoooray?

Well, I actually like and appreciate a good YouTube channel with demonstrations and instructions on new music equipment. I enjoy seeing the latest guitar pedals, hearing what to expect next from Line6, and how to program the latest beat boxes. If done right virtual can work. It may be that they need to invite the leading YouTube music instrament gurus to see their products and record on site reviews.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It may be that they need to invite the leading YouTube music instrament gurus to see their products and record on site reviews.

That's a really good idea. I think a lot of the reason why people watch Sweetwater videos is because of Mitch Gallagher, But there are plenty of independent sites with people who know their stuff. The less they're affiliated with a company, the better. I did some NAMM demos for MOTU on the amp sims that are bundled with DP...they specifically wanted someone known for amp sims, not someone known for being a MOTU employee, to do the demos.

I think a lot of the reason why people watch Sweetwater videos is because of Mitch Gallagher

for me it's Daniel Fisher, however it's the same reason. Such great camera presence combined with a sea of knowledge and decades of real world experience.

what a great one-two punch Sweetwater has going for them in this catagory.

:nopity: