Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fun Amp Sim Technique

I'm always looking for new ways to pervert perfect amp sim sounds, and stumbled on another one of those obvious things that apparently isn't so obvious.

Cabs have insane frequency responses, with lots of peaks, valleys, ripples, etc. So, why not make them more insane? The trick is simple: Use an amp to feed two different cabs in parallel, and flip one of the cabs out of phase. What they have in common cancels, and what they don't have in common, remains. There is some loss in level because of the cancellation, but that's easy to fix with a little gain. Also, some of the response changes might be too extreme - usually a sharp notch or peak with a parametric EQ takes care of that.

Perhaps the coolest aspect of this is if you vary the level coming out of one of the paralleled cabs slightly. As you move further away from cancellation, the combined sound takes on more of the characteristics of the cab with the higher level. It's almost like a way to "morph" one cab into another.

Fun stuff...!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To further the disease, you could track a guitar, make 2 or more tracks, used different amp cabs on each track and automate volume and panning parameters to make all the sounds that are wrong.

Start adding in flanging, phasing, stutter and other nasty noises.

Guitar is only guitar if we allow it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Forget guitar. I'm having fun connecting my older amp sim units to my modular. Why spend the big money Eurorack developers are asking for simple effects units when you have a Line6 M12 laying around unused because it has been replaced by a Helix. I think you will see more and more old units connected to things like Korg Volcas.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Forget guitar. I'm having fun connecting my older amp sim units to my modular. Why spend the big money Eurorack developers are asking for simple effects units when you have a Line6 M12 laying around unused because it has been replaced by a Helix. I think you will see more and more old units connected to things like Korg Volcas.

Good, I've tried all sorts of things. If it sounds good it is good. If it sounds bad, there may be a place for it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

...and I'd also say that "guitar effects" are often good for so much more than guitar. You can get great vocal effects out of Helix, and in a DAW, Helix Native can do just about anything. But people just want to know if it can nail the sound of a Fender Twin :)