Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any Opinions - Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Bill Wyman flix

There are movies about all three floating around - Keith Richards "Under the Influence" on Netflix, "The Quiet One" about Bill Wyman on Amazon Prime, and "Rolling Stone: Life And Death Of Brian Jones," also on Amazon Prime. Aside from the fact that it sucks the movie you want to see is never on the platform for which you have a subscription, I assume some of you are on Amazon Prime or Netflix and may have seen one or all of these...comments?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no help but curious to see what others may say.

I watched Gimme Shelter in a theater a long time ago.

I don't remember much of it, possibly not the fault of the movie...

I don't know anything about the movies you've listed.

I do like the Stones, Gimme Shelter is a great song just for one, and they've written many great songs.

They survived Brian Jones meltdown and death, they survived Bill Wyman's retirement. Charlie Watts (RIP)? They are done now. They had a great run.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

They are done now. They had a great run.

Personally I think they were done a while ago...but I'm careful with those kinds of sentiments, I'm not exactly a spring chicken :) But I sure don't feel "done." I feel the music I'm making now is better than ever. Then again, I don't have a record label or audience making me beholden to "playing the hits," so I can do whatever I want. That's what keeps music fun for me.

I heard the Bill Wyman movie wasn't very good. FWIW

Kuru - you're the second person I've seen recently that talked about Brian Jones dying like that, and the fact is, he had left the Stones before he died. While that surely affected them, it wasn't like a current member died and sent them into a tailspin. In fact, Mick Taylor had already joined to replace him.

And the Stones being "done for a while"? They are still a great live band. I saw them on their tour in 2019 and it was the most fun I've had at a concert since I don't know when. I would argue you don't fill stadiums when you're "done." Maybe the argument is that they're not making new music that's topping the charts. If that's the case, lots of things are "done," like jazz, blues, etc. But if you have an audience, who cares?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I heard the Bill Wyman movie wasn't very good. FWIW

Kuru - you're the second person I've seen recently that talked about Brian Jones dying like that, and the fact is, he had left the Stones before he died. While that surely affected them, it wasn't like a current member died and sent them into a tailspin. In fact, Mick Taylor had already joined to replace him.

And the Stones being "done for a while"? They are still a great live band. I saw them on their tour in 2019 and it was the most fun I've had at a concert since I don't know when. I would argue you don't fill stadiums when you're "done." Maybe the argument is that they're not making new music that's topping the charts. If that's the case, lots of things are "done," like jazz, blues, etc. But if you have an audience, who cares?

I know Brian quit the Stones (or was dismissed or whatever) and then passed on in his swimming pool. In the beginning Brian was the leader of the band. We'll never know if he would have returned at some point, dead is dead. The albums the Stones made with Mick Taylor are my favorite records by them. Some bands can pick up the pieces and continue, many cannot.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I know Brian quit the Stones (or was dismissed or whatever) and then passed on in his swimming pool. In the beginning Brian was the leader of the band. We'll never know if he would have returned at some point, dead is dead.

Okay. :thu:

Supposedly Brian was going to start a project including Stu (Ian Stewart) and get back to the roots of why they started the Stones, a more blues thing. That could have been cool.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I recently watched the Brian Jones movie and found it very interesting, he was quite talented and unique but it's weird how he got "left behind" because of his lack of confidence in his song writing and, of course, his apparent over indulgences. I've also seen the Keith Richards film but it's been several years and I don't remember being overly impressed with it. The Bill Wyman movie has been on my list for a while but it still costs $5 or thereabouts so I've held off. I recently watched a series on the Stones for a second time, one that breaks down their career in several parts separated by decades.

I've read Bill's book as well as Keith's biography along with a number of other books covering the Stones career so all that information often gets intertwined to where I don't recall exactly where I saw or read any particular bits of info.

For me the Stones glory days were the early records up thru Mick Taylor's tenure. "19th Nervous Breakdown" , "Ruby Tuesday", "Sympathy For the Devil" etc. I don't know Stones history like many here do. But I had a vague recollection of Brian Jones being involved with an African project of some sort. I googled and found that it was some Moroccan music. That alone makes me curious about him. I like the Stones, but don't really love them.

The Grio channel had a biopic last Sunday night: Hendrix. I don't remember being aware of it 20 years ago. I'm hoping that someone is, or has worked on other documentaries....Moby Grape, Captain Beefheart (there are some docs already out there), Peter Green's Fleetwood Mack. Of course other folks here have their own personal lists. But the real issue here is that the players in these bands are aging out and dying. When I read about some rock star dying at 70 or so, I often joke that he was 85 in rock & roll years.

'

I don't know Stones history like many here do. But I had a vague recollection of Brian Jones being involved with an African project of some sort. I googled and found that it was some Moroccan music. That alone makes me curious about him.

The was Brian Jones Presents the Pipes of Pan at Joujouka, released in 1971. I have the album, it's amazing Sufi trrance music that has been played for thousands of year, and written specifically to heal. You can find out more on this web site.

The music springs from Sufism, the mystical branch of Islam. Sufism is about personal discovery, asceticism, and non-violence. A lot of it overlaps with Eastern religions like Buddhism, so the more hardcore Islamists don't consider Sufis "real" Muslims (being so much into music tells you something right there). They have also been subject to considerable persecution from other branches of Islam. One of their more recent leaders basically said "don't proselytize, if God wants to find people, he will." That kind of sums up their "stick to yourself, and concentrate on getting closer to God" philosophy. Of course this kind of an oversimplification, but I think most Sufis would say I pretty much got it right. In any event, the music is amazing, no matter what its source.

But this Moraccan music project sort of reminds me of Beatle George and Indian music.

I think the difference is that George bought into the whole thing, transcendental meditation and all that (and why hasn't a dentist opened up a practice called "Transcen-Dental?" I don't know, I'm just asking questions :) ). I think Brian Jones bought more into the music, I don't think he had anything to do with Sufism.

But this Moraccan music project sort of reminds me of Beatle George and Indian music.

I think the difference is that George bought into the whole thing, transcendental meditation and all that (and why hasn't a dentist opened up a practice called "Transcen-Dental?" I don't know, I'm just asking questions :) ). I think Brian Jones bought more into the music, I don't think he had anything to do with Sufism.

If I decided to open a pizza place, I'd call it 'Give Pizza Chance'