Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I finally got a Chromebook!

So a few days ago I picked up a refurbished chromebook for approx $100 US

I think it is at least a 5-year-old model Dell 3120-11

It is what I expected, and even a bit less, an internet appliance, lighter than any one of my laptops.

Why is it even less? I expected that it would at least run Android apps, but it doesn't.

So far I can't run my VPN with this....(a complicated process for this old model)

I know that newer versions can even have Linux installed, but $700 (at Costco) is INSANE for this type of device.

You can get a hefty powerful laptop for that kind of money! ...and do real work with it.

The only redeeming aspect of this item is that it logs onto many websites faster than my other computers.

And I think they put a new battery in this one...at least 7-9 hours of battery life while in use.....another +++

And that is my 2 cents !!

Dan

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chromebook is really for common applications and the Chrome software won't hardly run anything on its own. It was a good choice for no-budget families and students who need a way to get their school lessons done on line.

I'm surprised at the shortage of "real" laptops of about that age with a 12-13" screen, and how much they cost nowadays when one can be found. I'm willing to go $200 for what I want, but either I can't find it or it's $379.

I have a Chromebook that is so old it can't deal with wi-fi over 2.4 GHz. A friend gave it to me because a) he lost the power supply, and b) he hated it. So I found a suitable power supply, and the Chromebook sits in the kitchen where it plays back things from YouTube while I'm doing kitchen stuff. Cheap and cheerful.

My Chromebook is 4 years old this week. It was a refurb that I got for around $170.

This thread has a place in a music-oriented forum because Cubasis 3.x now runs on Chromebook. yup.

https://www.steinberg.net/cubasis/update/

I learned that from the dreaded FB ad in my feed yesterday.

It's not the first. I can make Roland Zenbeats work with a class-compliant USB interface running as an Android app. I don't do that often because it does not work well on my device. I guess that there is a Cubasis for Android too.

Chrome hardware has usually been underpowered - deliberately. The devices were designed for battery life.

The "instant on," "start working almost immediately" aspect is a satisfying part of the experience and I still like it.

Okay, now for the bad news. There comes a time when your device will no longer receive updates. Dan's device is closer to that time than mine is

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Mine also runs Linux in a window and that has been great. So if you are planning for the future. Look for a device that has 8GB of ram. Mine has 4GB and is okay for now but mine runs out of road next June.

Okay, now for the bad news. There comes a time when your device will no longer receive updates.

Mine probably stopped getting updates somewhere around the time of the French revolution.

I had one years ago. Very strange. It had a micro-SD slot that it could not use because the os did not yet support SD. The manufacturer added it in anticipation of a an update that would enable it. Ironically when the new version of The os came out it would not install on the device.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

In the schools where I worked, teachers hated Chromebooks. They broke quite often and had a lot of issues with connectivity and such. Sure, they boot up faster, but that's because they're not really running anything. I can't stand the things, personally, and can't think of a single teacher who liked them.