Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Share your rack order

I`ve reviewed my rack organizing like this (bottom to up):

4U Rack PC -> 1U drawer for FX pedals & USB Interface -> 2U JD-990 -> 1U reverb unit -> 1U Mixer -> 1U Power strip

Not exactly the best configuration but it works, having audio cables separately from power and USB.

How about yours?

Cheers,

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashley LX308 8 channel stereo mixer. Each channel has stereo inputs which really helps in a synth setup.

Ashley 3102 stereo EQ

BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer

Furman M-8x2

It all just fits in my SKB road case. A bullet proof system that lets me set up and sound good most anywhere.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Ashley LX308 8 channel stereo mixer. Each channel has stereo inputs which really helps in a synth setup.

Ashley 3102 stereo EQ

BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer

Furman M-8x2

It all just fits in my SKB road case. A bullet proof system that lets me set up and sound good most anywhere.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

This is a great thread! Different tools and different ways of using those tools, the rack is just a box - what we do with it reflects our purposes.

I'd love to "cross pollenate" with the rack thread I started in Dr. Mike's forum - https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3041939/the-rack-thread-who-what-why#Post3041939. It would be awesome to have more rack owners chime in there and share ideas so please at least take a peek at it and chime in, most welcome!!!

My current rack is for recording, keyboard outputs both audio and MIDI (DIN and USB) could be plugged in (and probably will be at some point). I travel light and play guitar, this rig is heavier than I would want to lug to a gig. It stays home.

So - SKB 8 space full depth molded rack from bottom to top:

Furman P-8 Pro C power conditioner

1 space rack shelf with home made mini-patch bay (3 XLR through and one stereo TRS to dual TS jacks), a Cloudlifter CL-1 and 2 ART Levelar tube compressor/limiters. Since the knobs are on top on the ART stuff, this takes up 2 rack spaces.

Focusrite ISA 2 dual mono mic preamps with DI.

Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt 2 8 channel audio/digital interface

2 space rack drawer with Focusrite ISA One and Blue Robbie mic preamps - this takes up 3 spaces.

I've recently acquired all the pieces for a 3 space rack addition - Lexicon MPX 550 multi effects unit, JBL M712 Stereo (also dual mono) gating compressor limiter and a single rack shelf that will start with a couple of inexpensive mic preamps and probably evolve into something else but meanwhile - ART MP/C and Samson C-Valve. I have a simple 3 space rack for mounting. Will need to dress some cables to keep things tidy.

I've got another nice 6 space rack but hesitate to start putting stuff in it, that would be tempting fate! :)

Ive been using plugins and I like them but I've wanted to add more options for getting the sounds I want going in and find a balance between in the box and "analog" recording.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I've got rack units. and some are stacked, but they aren't in a rack as it is: MG16XU Yamaha mixer with rack flanges, a Lexicon MX400, my prototype high quality analog mixer with digital Ethernet control, and self made very high Q preamp and 3 way analogue separation amplifier, my bridged sub amp and double main amp. I don't know how many units the mixer takes (2?) on top of a rack, it's on a little table, but the rest is 1 unit, 1 unit, 4 units, and twice 2 units. The latter two power amps are pretty heavy. So indeed rack mountable (all proper 19"), but wheels are needed.

T

8U rack for gigging.

Front top: IEM transmitter radio. (Stereo, made by "Audio 2000")

Front middle: Behringer P16-M monitor mixer

Front bottom: Keytar receiver radio. (wireless Bass rig, made by Nady)

Back top: Behringer XR-12 mixer, for consolidating all keyboards in to a single stereo feed

Back near-bottom: surge suppressor with outlets on both front (outside surface) and back (inside surface); power cords for rack equipment and two keyboards are already plugged in.

Empty space holds cords and remote wireless equipment.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I have two 3 U Racks, top to bottom

Audio Technica M3 wireless in ear receiver and Line 6 wireless receiver (for guitar and keytar)

Digitech GSP 1101 guitar modeler

Furman Power Supply

Ashly CLX-52 Stereo Compressor

Ashly LX-308-B stereo mixer

Furman Power Supply

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

4space rack, top to bottom: 1space patchbay by Redco, with 7x 1/4" inputs, 2x Midi in/out, 2x XLR outputs, 1x 1/4 output,

1 space, Roland M120 line mixer (patched via Redco)

2 space Roland Integra7.

The rack, for gigging sits on the floor on its back, the back never comes off (thus the patch bay). In the back of the rack is a 1space tripplight surge protector, and the power cable feeds out the top.

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

4U Rack, 3 spaces used.

1. Furman M-8x2 8 Outlet Power Conditioner

2. MOTU Micro Lite (half-rack) & RME Fireface UC USB Audio Interface (half-rack)

3. Shure P9T Wireless Transmitter w/ half-rack adapter panel

Inside:

Radial ProD2 2-channel Passive Instrument Direct Box

StarTech 7 Port USB Hub

Rear: Patch Panel with XLR outs for FOH, XLR in for monitor mix, Multi-pin connector for pedalboard-to-rack snake

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

31-C99280-562-B-4-E02-96-BC-0-AE5-FA9-E0-AD7.jpg

Was just musing the other day about a rack. I did grab an M1 Mac mini last year, so this could work. I"ve tried Mainstage a few times in the past, never got the 'connection" thing, but did a nice gig with it a few weeks ago. I"m sold, finally.

But, my 2012 MBP died recently. Excuse to grab a new one now that gigs are coming back! And, a 12 or 10U rack would make a sturdy stand.

So,

laptop or monitor on top

Kronos racked (needs work!)

Integra 7

Some space for IEM/guitar or Keytar wireless below.

Rear

Possible Mac mini. Thunderbolt/USB hub

1/4' patch bay with the 6x Kronos and the 8x Integra individual outs, passed thru to the XR18. Mainly if I"m doing studio stuff.

12way patch panel. PowerCon in and a few loop thrus for AC power. USB for keyboard controllers, and laptop power/data. (Leaning toward Arturia 61 and an 88) HDMI etc if I go the Mac mini route.

XR18 to grab audio from the modules and Mac. Can give FOH either a stereo mix, or combinations of stuff like all synths, pianos, organs, separately etc. Can take a monitor feed from either mons or FOH.

And wheels.

Should make a quick setup. A couple of usb cables and pedals for controllers. One PowerCon. Done.

Kronos racked (needs work!)

:roll::hider:

you can dream ...

Consider it makes no sense racking Kronos w/ it´s ancient and poor Intel Atom technology.

Alone it´s touch screen makes no sense when it´s been built into a rack.

Instead, you´d need a blackbox rack w/ the engine inside and a desktiop remote controller offering all the haptics, screen included.

When you think about using a Mac Mini M1, M2, -X version in future,- just buy Korg Collection v3 and some other stuff covering al that terrain and fly.

Roland Zenology Pro is tempting too ... clonk

It might replace Integra- 7.

I recognized all the SRX PCM card content is available too and they have a XV 5080 plugin, D50 and so on.

So, a new Mac Mini w/ half-rack audio/MIDI interfacte (iConnectivity ?) in a 1HU case and carefully selected plugins might be all you need,- almost ...

Leaves the search for a most excellent MIDI keyboard controller device.

Kurzweil should come back w/ a modern, multiple MIDI-port "Midiboard" controller,- and last biut not least,- with that now legendary build quality !

:)

A.C.

Yes. Totally understand, and agree. Tried a few Roland plug-in demos - yeah - sounds like a Roland!

But it's stuff I have lying round. All I'd need to buy is the actual rack, and mount the Kronos in a 4U box. Be a shame to waste the Kronos, and, I don't want to spend a fortune on a replacement keybed.

I do have an iConnectivity Audio 2+ and a MIDI 4+ I could use just with the Mac. But, again, I have an XR18 that I use anyway.

Especially here in the UAE, the Integra isn't really worth selling... be easier giving it to a school or church.

Could maybe get some return on the Kronos as parts, but it would be a hassle... and, it works fine in circuit board form.

As for waiting for the new Macs, maybe I will. But, the base M1 Mac mini is working great for me with Logic and Kontakt. I could grab one more. They're cheap enough.

I am currently using the smallest rack that will hold my gear - a custom ATA/Anvil style my local case shop made for me a few years ago.

3U

Front of rack

Shure P9T wireless IEM half rack, alongside my Shure P4M mixer that I use for separate key and band IEM control.

Mounted on a little shelf below this is my Ventilator and Radial Key Largo. I have a short 4 channel XLR fantail coming out of the front for connection to FOH and IEM send.

Back of rack

Tripp-Lite power supply and a custom rack panel with multipin connection built by our very own vonnor. I use a multipin from the rack to my keyboard rig and this keeps things very neat and tidy.

It's a pretty crowded little rack. I might go back to an old SKB rotomold 4U rack that is lightweight and has a little more breathing room inside. At one point I had a 6U version of the custom rack (still have it, just not using it) when I was also carrying a Motif XS Rack and using a larger rack mixer.