Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Lee "Scratch" Perry

Lee 'Scratch" Perry, Reggae Giant and Dub Pioneer, Dead at 85

Prolific reggae singer, producer and studio wizard who reinvented the genre and pushed the boundaries of Jamaican music died Sunday

Rolling Stone article

[video:youtube]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty cool that he stayed active until pretty much up to the end...and I think he took advantage of living 85 years to take so many twists and turns. Definitely an inventor, and I always give extra credit to anyone who invents a new sound.

There's about 4 minutes of video of him working in his Black Ark studio which is helpful and manic. Roots Rock Reggae - Inside the Jamaican Music Scene (1977)

There is currently a link on YT (you know - 'yo, check out this midi chord pack'). It starts at 08:45 if the link is scrambled.

The effect that he is goofing with is thought to be a preproduction MuTron phaser. See what you think. There's a chatty discography at redbull:

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2014/02/lee-scratch-perry-album-guide

I totally did not get dub music when it was a thing in the 1970s. I see where it fits now.

Long, yet entertaining interview with Tape Op

I read that in the paper version of Tape Op a while back! Thoroughly entertaining for sure, and safe to say it's one of the most unique Tape Op interviews ever done!

I read that in the paper version of Tape Op a while back! Thoroughly entertaining for sure, and safe to say it's one of the most unique Tape Op interviews ever done!

He was indeed a most unique artist, producer, engineer, and whatever else he's doing at the time.