Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Charlie Watts dead at 80

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a thread on Charlie Watts in The Keyboard Corner. But I'd like to dig a little deeper.

Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, John Bonham, Mitch Mitchell, Hal Blaine...seems like the era of superstar 60s drummers in over. But that begs the question - who are the superstar rock drummers of today? Maybe Roger Taylor? Ashton Irwin? Anybody?

There's a thread on Charlie Watts in The Keyboard Corner. But I'd like to dig a little deeper.

Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, John Bonham, Mitch Mitchell, Hal Blaine...seems like the era of superstar 60s drummers in over. But that begs the question - who are the superstar rock drummers of today? Maybe Roger Taylor? Ashton Irwin? Anybody?

Ummm... Ringo? :)

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Don't get me wrong - Ringo's a fine drummer. But IMHO he wasn't a superstar on the same level as the others I mentioned. We have fine journeyman drummers today, like Steve Ferrone, and scary good studio drummers in Nashville. But superstars? That's why I'm asking...are there any contemporary ones out there now?

Don't get me wrong - Ringo's a fine drummer. But IMHO he wasn't a superstar on the same level as the others I mentioned. We have fine journeyman drummers today, like Steve Ferrone, and scary good studio drummers in Nashville. But superstars? That's why I'm asking...are there any contemporary ones out there now?

I am not a worshiper of all things Beatles but Ringo was a Beatle and cannot be easily knocked down from super star status. He was not a technically fancy player, but neither was Charlie Watts.

Ringo did a fine job of playing all the diverse styles and songs that came his way and his solo career was/is more interesting to me than quite a bit of the music the other Beatles released. I could easily do without most of Paul's catalog, and a fair amount of John's and George's. Ringo Starr's All Star Band was an ultimate bar band, they rocked.

There are lots of drummers who are "better" than Ringo. Why is Elvin Jones not are revered? He broke new ground and was an amazingly great drummer - but - he played jazz so nobody gives a single crap.

If we are going to judge drummers by their talent that is one thing, if we judge them by their fame Ringo is still at or near the top of the heap. Nobody else was the drummer for the Beatles as we knew and know them.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I don't know about the average garden variety listener, but in my world at least, Elvin Jones is greatly revered. But him, Buddy Rich and others sadly are no more.

I should mention here that Billy Higgins possibly the most amazing drummer I have ever seen drum in person. His exuberance, passion, technical capability, texture, and presence were contagious. He is, quite simply, the happiest drummer I have ever seen play. I saw him at a gig with the amazing Pharoah Sanders. In the jazz world, Billy Higgins is revered. Everywhere else, not so much.

The other drummer that was super inspiring that I've seen was Michael Peffer, who often drums with desert-based stoner rock bands, and is not a household name, but is amazing nevertheless.

I feel like the more people learn about music, the more they realize how great Charlie Watts was. R.I.P. Amazing, amazing drummer, famous or not.

Ringo was a Beatle and cannot be easily knocked down from super star status.

Being a superstar isn't necessarily the same as being a superstar drummer. John Bonham created a sound that is still a gold standard for rock drums - think of those kick drum triplets. Mitch Mitchell was able to bring jazz chops to psychedelia, Ginger Baker was a bigger-than-life drummer, independent of the groups with which he played, Keith Moon was the original "bring the drums to the front of the mix" guy, Hal Blaine was the driving force behind thousands of hits. There are a lot of excellent rock drummers, and I'd include Ringo and Charlie Watts (as well as Jerry Marotta and many others) in that category. But are they really drummers who changed the course of music as we know it, or just really good drummers? I would say the bands they were in changed the course of music, and they were an integral part of the band.

Ken, Stewart Copeland is an interesting choice...he's closer to what I had in mind.

Why is Elvin Jones not are revered?

Elvin Jones was incredible...so was Chico Hamilton, Tony Williams, Gene Krupa (who I would consider one of the original "superstar" drummers), etc. But I was specifically asking about rock superstar drummers. If you want to expand beyond that, then you have to include people like Carlton Barrett. That crisp reggae style was unmistakable and unique.

But I think the dearth of responses - Stewart Copeland and Ringo Starr - underscores what I'm saying. They're aren't really superstar drummers playing these days on the same order as the ones I mentioned.

There have been some great drummers over the years but only Charlie Watts was the drummer for the Stones. The fact that he kept his job and the band never quit working is what made him noteworthy.

Now you want a really interesting drummer, look up Joe Morello with the Dave Brubeck Quartet. He was such a dynamic and melodic player that when he took a solo you never lost the tune.

But I think the dearth of responses - Stewart Copeland and Ringo Starr - underscores what I'm saying. They're aren't really superstar drummers playing these days on the same order as the ones I mentioned.

I would agree that it's a short list. Previously, I named Stewart Copeland, as he is one of my favorite drummers, and one could argue that he might belong on the list.

I'll name a few others.

Neil Peart. He's hardly my favorite drummer, but he is meticulous and showy and flamboyant in his approach to rock drumming.

Clyde Stubblefield. I don't believe I need to explain this.

Mitch Mitchell. I know you said mentioned him already. Dayam, this guy's great.....he's like a rock version of Elvin Jones.

Buddy Rich. See the comments for Clyde.

In the "Oh my Gawd this guy is amazing" but maybe didn't necessarily completely turn rock drumming on its axis:

Steve Gadd

Bernard Purdie

Carlton Barrett

Ian Paice

Jim Keltner

I would agree that it's a short list. Previously, I named Stewart Copeland, as he is one of my favorite drummers, and one could argue that he might belong on the list.

I'll name a few others.

Neil Peart. He's hardly my favorite drummer, but he is meticulous and showy and flamboyant in his approach to rock drumming.

Mitch Mitchell. I know you said mentioned him already. Dayam, this guy's great.....he's like a rock version of Elvin Jones.

But the problem is that all of them are dead. As I said in my first post, "who are the superstar rock drummers of today?" And in the quote above, I'm looking for drummers who are "playing these days." Player on peoples' CD players isn't good enough :)

There's gotta be some, but I just don't know about them because drums aren't my primary instrument.

The post office received a letter whose only address was "To the greatest drummer in the world". After trying to figure out where to deliver it, one of the postal workers said he knew where Max Roach lived.

So when the postman delivered the letter to Max Roach, he declined to accept it as he did not believe he deserved that title. But Max knew where Elvin Jones lived and directed the postman there.

Elvin Jones also declined to accept the letter, but directed the postman to Buddy Rich.

Buddy Rich was notorious for his inflated ego, and he gladly accepted the letter. He giggled with glee as he tore open the envelope and began to read "Dear Ringo..."

I'll name a few others.

But the problem is that all of them are dead. As I said in my first post, "who are the superstar rock drummers of today?" And in the quote above, I'm looking for drummers who are "playing these days." Player on peoples' CD players isn't good enough :)

There's gotta be some, but I just don't know about them because drums aren't my primary instrument.

I was just trying to add on to your very short list. And the only one that I mentioned initially that is still living is of course Stewart Copeland (to everyone else, yeah, I know Steve Gadd and others still are alive, but I don't know that they fit into that list of superstar drummers in the sense that we are discussing).

Anyway, obviously, there are really talented drummers around. But I think it's probably a combination of that modern recordings don't really feature the personality of a drummer any more, so how would a great, transcendent drummer make his or her mark? That's rather challenging when most recordings never feature them.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'll add two more recent drummers that are superstar status based on talent, flamboyancy and massive sales/popularity:

Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters)

Tommy Lee (Motley Crue)

Glenn

Casiotone CT-S1 Red

Ohana TK-14E Tenor Ukulele

Retired I.T. nerd - Expat - vegan - genealogist -- hobbyist musician

Formerly https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/users/72474/donblanco

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'll add two more recent drummers that are superstar status based on talent, flamboyancy and massive sales/popularity:

Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters)

Tommy Lee (Motley Crue)

Good choices!

Anyway, obviously, there are really talented drummers around. But I think it's probably a combination of that modern recordings don't really feature the personality of a drummer any more, so how would a great, transcendent drummer make his or her mark? That's rather challenging when most recordings never feature them.

Well, apparently there's a famous drummer who goes by the stage name "TR-808," and he's been playing for decades. But he must be publicity-shy, like Charlie Watts was. I've never seen any interviews with him or her.

Stewart Copeland is at the top of the list, I suppose he's active because theoretically Oysterhead is/was touring. Neil is gone. Ringo precedes them both, of course. Dave Grohl.

Vinnie Colaiuta would be one to worry about, I'm afraid.

There are so many killer gospel-style drummers now, maybe Aaron Spears should be on the list for "present active drummers". It's strange how influential the gospel style has become without non-drummers really knowing about it. Jojo Mayer didn't invent the concept, but was super influential for awhile there.

Grohl and Vinnie of "active" drummers.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Well, apparently there's a famous drummer who goes by the stage name "TR-808," and he's been playing for decades. But he must be publicity-shy, like Charlie Watts was. I've never seen any interviews with him or her.

When not playing, TR-808 seems to be the strong, silent type.

A couple more that are in the conversation and still active:

Lars Ulrich - rather influential in approach and sound

Larry Mullen Jr. - often extremely distinctive, has several very signature song openings