Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

I still say, if it's already in production, why aren't we seeing, and hearing, a real demo video?

Admittedly, I'm not the target market for this pedal, especially not at nearly $400, but I'm always curious about what's going on with the latest in DSP's, so I'd at least like to hear it.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I still say, if it's already in production, why aren't we seeing, and hearing, a real demo video?

Admittedly, I'm not the target market for this pedal, especially not at nearly $400, but I'm always curious about what's going on with the latest in DSP's, so I'd at least like to hear it.

Agreed!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

And . . . .

[YouTube Gamechanger Bigsby video]

Seems to sound good, seems cool. I'd really like to personally compare this Gamechanger Audio Bigsby pedal to a real-live Bigsby, though...

Thanks Scott! Very cool demo! One advantage I could see going on with the foot controller operation, is that it allows for continued uninterrupted playing while using the Bigsby as opposed to working it by hand. The foot controller model sounds very good and I think it goes beyond what the hand operated Bigsby can do (i.e. complete octave up and down) which I was looking forward to hearing. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

One thing we don't get to hear in the demo is vibrato. Like, does the pedal allow for a smooth oscillation around the null point. I slightly had the sense that the shape of the curve when first going into the pitch bend was not quite as subtle as what you get by hand on the real thing. Like it's a linear curve, but needs to be logarithmic. But we also don't know anything about the settings in use in this vid.
Scott Fraser

Couldn't watch it all the way through . . .

The whole vibe (no pun intended) was just too contrived for my taste; it's not a product demo, it's a commercial disguised as a Music video!

The guy playing the Organ is either mugging for the the camera, or someone dosed him with MMDA, while the rest of the band has this "take us seriously" look, that makes it impossible for me to take them seriously.

It seems that I was mistaken about the mechanism going Up-&-Down or Back-&-Forth, as the one player only taps the pedal briefly, to trigger it? I don't know anyone who uses a Bigsby that way, at least not exclusively. No dive-bombing, no Vibrato, nothing but those little taps? WTH?

Hand this thing over the Andy at Reverb, and let's see how it really shapes up.

FWIW, this thing sent me looking at used Guitar w/Bigsby's, just for price comparison. I saw a handful of used Epiphone Wildkats, selling for around $320US apiece, with real Bigsby's attached. I'd be more inclined to buy one of those, if I wanted that sound.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Scott, +1 at future demos I would like to see how to use the settings. Perhaps it can get what you are looking for around the null point. I can tell from the demo that it would fulfill my Bigsby needs. For tremolo I just kick in my tremolo setting on my amp foot switch...

Winston, I think he does the tapping for subtle bends through most of the song much the same way as many Bigsby players use the bar. He doesn't get wiggy with it until the end. +1 I can't wait till Andy at Reverb gets ahold of it! My buddy had an Epi Wildcat and sold it as it would not stay in tune and he got mad every time he tried to play it LoL! I tried to convince him to put a roller bridge on it but he also hated the color as well. He kept it far longer than he could stand it as it was a Christmas gift from the wife. She finally figured out he wanted to get rid of it! The beauty of having a Bigsby on the floor would be that I could use it on any and all of my guitars and not have to pack that Wildcat around. I'm wondering how it would sound on my acoustic and on my nylons? I think it would work on all of my electrics. +1 a bit pricy at $379...

:2thu:

Take care, Larryz

Couldn't watch it all the way through . . .

The whole vibe (no pun intended) was just too contrived for my taste; it's not a product demo, it's a commercial disguised as a Music video!

The guy playing the Organ is either mugging for the the camera, or someone dosed him with MMDA, while the rest of the band has this "take us seriously" look, that makes it impossible for me to take them seriously.

Tough going, I too, found it nearly impossible to watch. Supremely annoying. It's basically an overly long trailer for the product rollout, & can't be seen at all as a meaningful product demo.

It seems that I was mistaken about the mechanism going Up-&-Down or Back-&-Forth, as the one player only taps the pedal briefly, to trigger it? I don't know anyone who uses a Bigsby that way, at least not exclusively. No dive-bombing, no Vibrato, nothing but those little taps? WTH?

Yeah, that's part of the problem with the video being such a wankfest. He does push the pedal forward toward the end, & the pitch does go up.

I'm beginning to wonder why this pedal is at such pains to associate itself with the Bigsby brand, as opposed to just being a possibly much higher quality take on the Digitech Whammy pedal. The rockabilly & surf dudes over on the Gretsch forum love their Bigsby trems. I'm inclined to think of it as a very primitive piece of mechanical engineering which produces a very limited range of effects. The Fender/Wilkinson/Floyd Rose approach to the trem bridge is much more robust, mechanically elegant & vastly more far ranging in what can be done musically with it. Who knows, perhaps Gamechanger approached Floyd Rose with their circuit idea & got turned down. FWIW, I'd be much more inclined to consider this pedal as a playable device if it had a normal traditional treadle style foot pad.

Hand this thing over the Andy at Reverb, and let's see how it really shapes up.

I had exactly the same thought.

FWIW, this thing sent me looking at used Guitar w/Bigsby's, just for price comparison. I saw a handful of used Epiphone Wildkats, selling for around $320US apiece, with real Bigsby's attached. I'd be more inclined to buy one of those, if I wanted that sound.

I have wanted to like Wildkats, but every one I've picked up has been just awful. I can't recall in what way they didn't work for me, but everything that is likable about my hollow body Gretsches & more upscale hollow Epiphones was missing on the Wildkats. A better bet, IMO, would be the entry level Gretsch Streamliner 2xxx series, at about the same price point.

Scott Fraser

@Scott - I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way . . .

I have to wonder when there's so much hype surrounding a product, and so little real attention to presentation. It had to be more expensive and time-consuming to put together that video shoot, than to have one serious player sit down and turn the dials. What that tells me is someone high up decided NOT to make a serous product demo, but just throw more promotional BS at us!

FWIW, I'm looking for a good, compact Pitch-Shift pedal, which is part of why I was curious about the Bigsby pedal, and the DSP behind it. For now, I'll keep looking . . .

I' m glad Scott posted the demo so we got a chance to hear the pedal. If you close your eyes when listening to it, it's not a half bad version of a Bigsby. Can't wait for more demos by the many critics that will come on YouTube when the pedal hits the market... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

• 1 month later...
I'm too far behind on internet catch-up after eight days, to watch or listen right now, but at first I thought this was a joke. It will be interesting to hear the results, as I would think the foot is less sensitive from a fine-grained "touch" perspective than the hand, but organ players have to use their feet for a lot of delicate work also.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm too far behind on internet catch-up after eight days, to watch or listen right now, but at first I thought this was a joke. It will be interesting to hear the results, as I would think the foot is less sensitive from a fine-grained "touch" perspective than the hand, but organ players have to use their feet for a lot of delicate work also.

+1 on talented organ players using their feet for bass pedals in a keyboard format. I think we call them "stomp boxes" as we stomp on our guitar pedals with our feet and do a similar on/off foot dance LoL! The Bigsby pedal foot controller reminds me of a Cry Baby, Wah, Expression, Volume, etc., concept pedal. I'm still anxiously waiting to see/hear Andy from Reverbs' demo. He does YouTube demos on Gamechanger pedals and I wish he already had one out there on this pedal. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

• 4 weeks later...

You beat me to the post, hurricane hugo! I had JUST come here to post about that new Strymon Stereo Phaser! :crazy::D:thu:

Previously, before having Strymon's El Capistan, Flint, and Iridium pedals, I wouldn't have bothered reading about, let alone listening to any clips or videos of, a digital phaser. However, those Strymon pedals that I bought and love changed my mind about the potential of digital stompboxes. This one sure seems to be a winner and, when possible- might be a long while- I'd be very interested in getting one! A Zelzah and a Deco would be so fine to have on board...

EDIT: Coming back after checking out further promo videos for the Strymon Zelzah- WOW, not only does this SOUND amazingly great, it's fantastically versatile! As has become usual for Strymon, this is loaded with thoughtful, useful features and options. Seriously, if for some God-only-knows-WHAT reason, I really could use only ONE modulation pedal, this might be an excellent choice. And I have a variety of very good, classic modulation pedals.

Strymon basically tries to make desert island pedals*- if you can only have one _________, theirs is the one you want.

* ignore the lack of power supply, sand in your gear, etc.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I'm off to my work day shortly, so I'll have to look for some other demos later, but damn, I found that faux-Funk tune annoying. It didn't really help the various settings stand out from one another as much as they should, because the Rhythm riff was just too busy.

On first listen, however, it has a distinctly Digital tone that I first encountered in the original Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeler. (Don't some of the folks from Line 6 now work for Strymon, or vice versa?) I have to wonder if it isn't built around a similar DSP.

And now for something completely different, a metal harp pedal demo!

Nice! I'd seen that- and other videos from her, I believe. I particularly liked when she used multiple Tentacle octave-fuzzes...

[font:Verdana]I want one for my keyboard[/font] ð

I want you to have one for your keyboard! ð¤

I want one for my guitar. ð

I think it would go fabulously either before or after my Iridium, or before my amps or in the effects-loop... :cool:

After listening to a myriad of examples between Strymon's three videos for the Zelzah, I had to break out my VFE Enterprise Phaser (my one and only phaser!); along with my El Capistan echo and Flint reverb, I enjoyed somewhat approximating some of the more unusual, complex examples in the Zelzah's videos.

I'm off to my work day shortly, so I'll have to look for some other demos later, but damn, I found that faux-Funk tune annoying. It didn't really help the various settings stand out from one another as much as they should, because the Rhythm riff was just too busy.

On first listen, however, it has a distinctly Digital tone that I first encountered in the original Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeler. (Don't some of the folks from Line 6 now work for Strymon, or vice versa?) I have to wonder if it isn't built around a similar DSP.

Try

, and
. Try to ignore any annoying tunes used- some are kinda alright, though. :D:thu:

Through my AKG K-92 headphones- not studio 'Reference Grade', but pretty decent, and then some- I find the examples to sound very pleasing; now, you (Winston) are very attuned to and fond of all manner of analog filtering effects, from classic to Vlasic ;) , the way I am with octave-fuzzes; so you may have a finer appreciation and more discriminating, critical ear for this than I.

I really like the stereo phasing/panning effects.

I also really like the way that the Zelzah's 'Phase - Time' Voice control and the way it blurs and blends filtering phase stage and time-based flange and echo effect characteristics in these demo-videos!

The Overtone Series from Hell . . .

I got to the point where she dimed out the Reverb, turning the sound into cosmic sludge. As an experiment, it's pretty much something we've all heard or done before, that washed-out, Guitar-on-a-mountaintop Reverb with overwhelming Distortion. Come on, admit, unless you're a Jazz purist, or a Classical Guitarist, you've tried it, or something like it.

It's kind of fun, and slightly perverse to see a Harp treated this way, but that's all I got from it.

. . . On first listen, however, it has a distinctly Digital tone that I first encountered in the original Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeler. (Don't some of the folks from Line 6 now work for Strymon, or vice versa?) I have to wonder if it isn't built around a similar DSP.

Try

, and
. Try to ignore any annoying tunes used- some are kinda alright, though. :D:thu:

Through my AKG K-92 headphones- not studio 'Reference Grade', but pretty decent, and then some- I find the examples to sound very pleasing; now, you (Winston) are very attuned to and fond of all manner of analog filtering effects, from classic to Vlasic ;) , the way I am with octave-fuzzes; so you may have a finer appreciation and more discriminating, critical ear for this than I.

Thanks, Caevan, I'll give those a listen a little later on.

I'm not an Analog purist, by any means. In that particular video, what I heard more than anything was a familiar tone, which I immediately associated with the Line 6 MM4. I spent a lot of time with the MM4, and over time, all the Phaser/Flanger/Chorus Models sounded very much alike to my ears. There was also an underlying tone to all of those models that I just couldn't edit out, to the extent that I finally gave up on the MM4. I wouldn't be surprised to find a very similar DSP chip, or a later version thereof, driving the Zelzah. (FWIW, all the Modulation Models from the MM4 can also be found in the M5, M9, and M13 MFX, if anyone wants to compare the sounds.)

+1 Scott, I much rather hear her play a clean Harp. I like a clean guitar too LoL! I guess she could use her distorted harp sound for a movie sound effects part... :cool:

ps.To all that are still interested, here's some Game Changer Bigsby Pedal sounds I found on YT:

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

• 1 month later...

SHAZAMMM! What will they think of next??? Very cool!!! Loved the Sleep Walk! (My favorite tune). One thing not mentioned is whether or not the stick-on mounting will affect the finish? But very cool demo and piece of gear! Price was another issue not covered... :cool:

Ps. great bass concept along with a baritone guitar sound along with using it on an acoustic!

Take care, Larryz

probably not...

I've been using the Variax out of convenience when getting a set together with some folks, here... and it's been awesome to press the button and be able to use open tunings for slide, or use the baritone tuning for the solo in "Witchita Lineman" while playing the rest of it in standard tuning... I haven't delved into hooking that guitar up to my plaptop and using the workbench software to create my own models and tunings (I could probably have the baritone tuning on the bottom 3 strings and standard on the top three) but since the engine is run by individual piezos in each bridge saddle (which allows for 12 string models to function like a 12 string would) I started thinking that there should be someway to take the piezo for the B string and run it to an expression pedal and simulate a B bender...