Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Y'all Healthy?

Ladies and Gentlemen;

So I got on the VAX train early thanks to being in the health care industry. I played a couple shows this past weekend on bass. You should'a heard me; I tore it up. Fearless Leader was moaning about how a couple of his workers tested positive. Later in the Sat. night he mentioned not really feeling well. I got the note on Monday night that he tested positive himself (so he must have had the test Friday). Monday afternoon I was also feeling kinda bad, so skipped my work trip scheduled for Tues-Fri and got tested. Positive, so I'm on the shelf for ten days. I didn't mask up at the gigs, but didn't think much of it at the time as I was far away from the crowd, vax'd, and only close to my three band mates. So...my bad. And boy howdy is the Mrs. K pissed at me. I'm on the mend and it didn't hit me hard, thankfully.

So in the words of the old guy at the beginning of "Hill Street Blues", uh...."Be Careful Out There." Take it seriously and mask up even when you think you don't have to anymore.

Cheers,

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Paul for the reminder. I got vaccinated - second Moderna shot was March 3rd.

And I've been careful. Everybody in the band has been vaccinated and is careful too. But tomorrow night there is a birthday celebration at a club that is generally pretty quiet on Thursdays.

4 good friends having birthdays. I plan on wearing a mask for the duration, the bass player is giving me a ride and plans on a reasonably short visit - that works for me. Neither of us really wants to go at all but these are our friends and everybody in our group has been vaccinated. We'll hit and run.

Which does not eliminate the possibility, as you've discovered. Delta is here, it is infecting people. I don't want anything!!!!!

I wish you all the best on your journey back to health, be grateful that you did get the vaccine. One of my doctors told me "You won't die, you won't need to be hospitalized, but you still need to be careful." and both of my doctors told me that the only people who are in the hospital with Covid are unvaccinated in our location. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

We just started back at the end of July, our first gig with a new drummer (our original was taken by Covid in March of last year). In a bar, about half masked but I'm pretty sure all vaxed, suspecting the political bent of our families, friends and fans. No reported cases stemming from that gig but it was interesting - here's the scene:

2nd floor of an old Irish bar where we've been playing for 3+ decades. Since many were concerned about social distancing within the bar, a buddy brought speakers from his band's set-up, patched them into the PA and ran them outside to the patio in the parking lot where others who were uncomfortable (or unvaxed for whatever reason) could still listen to the show. It was packed both outside and in but we really appreciated his efforts to open the gig up to as many people as possible. Looks like we're back to our end-of-month gigs at this tavern and there are a few other gigs on the horizon but we're much more aware of distancing and masking now, having broken the ice at this first gig back.

Of course, it all depends on Delta and if we're facing additional lockdowns. Our first concerns are friends, family, fans and Society as a whole. If lockdowns help, bring 'em on.

Paulie-waulie - take care, feel better and kick back until you're on your feet again.

Play. Just play.

Vaccinated. Have only played 2 gigs since this started, thankfully both totally outdoors.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I keep reading that if you are vaccinated and catch it you don"t get hit as hard. Been a lot of confusion in my area. Hospitals have announced that half of the people that test positive are vaccinated but when they show their admission numbers it is more like 5 percent. I don"t know if the vaccinated patients have mild symptoms and are not hospitalized or if the vaccine is causing positive tests.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I don"t know .....(snip)......... if the vaccine is causing positive tests.

Vaccinated and healthy: you'll test positive for the antibodies but not the virus. The test they give you to see if you have it tests for the virus. It's not 100% accurate; there are some false positives and false negatives. So I could be down with a regular cold but falsely tested positive for COVID. But I doubt it.

And word is that yes, if you get sick anyway post-vaccination, the cootie will tend to be less severe. Mine is more severe than I anticipated. Not near needing a ride to the hospital, but have officially run out of Nyquil at my house.

• 2 weeks later...

I chatted with the fella who I think I got the viral cootie from. He's in the hospital on oxygen. Not intubated. Everything else like clotting factors and yada yada's are good.

But....you know.

So glad I was vax'd.

Well, after eating the custard filled donuts from the local bakery I was sick for 24 hours. This has happened the last two times I ate them and am thinking it is something they use in the custard. Sadly, my sister will not get around me now. She has been avoiding me for two weeks. Has a stack of Amazon packages here because she likes to have them delivered to my house, thinking they will be more secure. Sometimes I get aggravated thinking she is overly cautious. Sometimes I remind myself that she has a very low white blood count and is more vulnerable then most people. But as cautious as she is about getting around me or my cousins, she goes to the hair dresser once a week.

• 2 months later...

Fully vaxxed and boostered. I snuck into a CVS and admitted I was not old enough to qualify for a booster, and the 20 year old nurse said 'you look like you qualify'. Thanks for that self-esteem boost, Rainbow.

My company (a giant US healthcare company) has quietly started cutting people who are anti vaxxers. There is an exemption process that I was actually surprised was quite popular, but for anyone that may need to be in the office in the next year, it"s vax or leave.

"For instance" is not proof.

Fully vaxxed and boostered. I snuck into a CVS and admitted I was not old enough to qualify for a booster, and the 20 year old nurse said 'you look like you qualify'. Thanks for that self-esteem boost, Rainbow.

My company (a giant US healthcare company) has quietly started cutting people who are anti vaxxers. There is an exemption process that I was actually surprised was quite popular, but for anyone that may need to be in the office in the next year, it"s vax or leave.

My company requires a vaccine even if you work from home, no substitute for testing, etc. Vax or leave., deadline in less than a month.

My company is mandating vax for in office employees, but not for wfh.

Related to the health question, I recently went through a brain tumor scare. When given the all clear, I bought two new guitars. No regrets. ;)

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I bought two new guitars. No regrets. ;)

I believe the rules are: "Pics or it didn't happen". I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.

Very glad you've gotten the "all clear."

Related to the health question, I recently went through a brain tumor scare. When given the all clear, I bought two new guitars. No regrets. ;)

Me too! That was a scary month or so...

As for the new ones?

The two on the right in this pic- Both good, but the one in the middle is very, very good. :)

IMG-0071.jpg

That blue pick guard may be giving me a brain tumor.

I got my 3rd (booster) Moderna shot yesterday to protect myself from covid AND blue pickguards, don't worry about me.

The bad news for me, cholesterol is up. Dr wants me to take medicine but I refuse.

The good news, I've lost 25 pounds since I retired. Mostly due to cutting back on Pepsi. I was drinking 5 a day to stay alert at work. Now I just take a nap.

The Covid news, got my booster. Bothered me a little the next day. The local pharmacies are having a hard time keeping employees. Every time I go in it is someone new giving shots. I never realized that they don't have to be a nurse to give shots. They get a little training and then they are qualified.

As for the new ones?

The two on the right in this pic- Both good, but the one in the middle is very, very good. :)

IMG-0071.jpg

Oh No! Someone got a case of the skinny strings!

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

As for the new ones?

IMG-0071.jpg

Oh No! Someone got a case of the skinny strings!

It's okay, I got a drum set, too. ;)

Local nurse is dead. She was a staunch anti vaxxer working in intensive care. Caught COVID. Did not recover. Her high school kid is NOT an anti vaxxer, but she is punished just the same because of her mom.

In my town of 30,000, there are six big hospitals due to the aging population here. There are zero beds available. Pretty imperative surgeries are being rescheduled due to lack of resources.

"For instance" is not proof.

• 1 month later...
Daughter had it last week. The rest of us are fine. Everyone vaccinated. Just bad luck I guess. Kids are elligable for their booster next week so we'll get that done at that time. We're staying masked - even though my school is lifting mask mandates as we have kids out and hospital full - as we hope to travel soon and don't want covid messing up our plans.

Omi took out our Christmas. Wife, daughter, her husband, son, his wife and kid. All recovered, the 2 unvaxed had a much worse ride but no one serious enough to get medical.

I officially know 40+ people who tested positive since New Year's, 5x of them in my close family, none of it serious just sniffles and a slight fever for a day or two. The majority didn't even bother with cough/cold medicine - it was that mild. No one has come anywhere close to needing to go to the hospital. In fact, most of them are chaffing at the bit to get out of quarantine. In the meantime, I have lots of partners for online gaming.