Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Have you ever skipped a decade musically?

Early 1980"s I was making good money working for a coal company, taking night classes in college, and playing in a band 3 nights a week. I acquired a savings, a nice keyboard rig and an ulcer. Quit the day job, dropped out of school and moved to the city to be a full time musician. It was nice and I am glad I did it but by the end of the 80"s I was ready for a steady job with good benefits. Went back to school, got a degree in computer science and spent the 90"s going through three jobs before settling in as a MIS Director at the place from which I would retire.

At some point around 2010 I realized something. I totally missed out on 90"s music. I was so busy with school and new jobs I didn"t even own a musical instrument. I did eventually buy a Roland ROMpler, Seer Systems Reality, Techno Toys and a cool digital drum machine by some new company called Propellerhead. But I still did not listen to any new music until the 1990"s was long over. I missed the entire decade and am just now going back to see what I missed. Anyone else have any gaps like this?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

90's and 2000's for me.

I was too busy gigging to want to listen to anything on my time off.

Well, there was one band for 9 months in the late 90's that played current Top 40 Country, I had to learn some of those tunes.

But the other bands were either a wide span of classic older material with a very occasional contemporary song that I faked since I'd never heard it and didn't want to and a Motown cover band.

Almost all those decades just passed me by. I don't care, I'll listen to anything but mostly I don't listen to anything. Currently on the playlist (which means maybe once a month or so) is a tribute to Curtis Mayfield by various artists. Great songwriter, his work stands the test of time.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I've been gigging all my life. Since I turned 40 I've been playing mostly for senior citizens, so I constantly miss the present decade and the previous one. But as time goes on and new decades arrive, I finally learn the constantly evolving 20-year-old (and older) songs.

There are always crossover hits that appeal to the mature audience, so we do play some 21st century music, but I still miss most of it. Judging from the little bit I'm exposed to, I'm not looking forward to learning WAP in 20 years :D :D

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

I get out of touch on a regular basis because my musical interests keep expanding into new genres and new past eras. There's just no way to keep up with it all.

First college I attended was in a very small town with no music scene at all. No record store that I knew of - except the college bookstore had a bargain bin of classical LPs so that's what I bought. And I had my high school LPs - the usual suspects from '65 to '72.

Then I moved to Austin which was something entirely other, but by '78 or so rock was fading and disco was gaining, so I started listening to jazz. By the end of the 80s, I found electronic music to be the most vibrant and creative genre among popular genres, so I dove into that pool.

I got back into the indie/alt scene in the later 90s and Naughts, following the musical interests of my kids - and there was a lot of great stuff - Sufjan Stevens, Mogwai, Grandaddy, Bon Iver, The National, Elbow, Wilco, The Magnetic Fields, and many more - all those sorts that made the festival rounds in those days. The bands from that era and genre are still some of my ongoing favorites. Can't tell you the last time I listened to Supertramp, but I keep up with Sufjan Stevens.

Nowadays - there's just an impossible supply of infinite stuff. One day I'm making a playlist of female soul singers, the next day a Faure list, then a 90s ambient list, on to a James Taylor list, a Frank Sinatra list, a Medieval Motet list, a Ligeti list, a Ryan Adams list - I have no direction but wherever the mood leads me. The current hits on Spotify I'll check out maybe twice a year.....there's just too much other good stuff in the past than the leading edge of current commercial racket.

nat

• 2 weeks later...

There is little popular music in the last two decades I find interesting and enjoyable.

So two decade, not just one!

It's not a matter of complexity or me not performing (much) , or life's issues, since the music close to died in the 80s, the "new" sh*t doesn't appeal to me. I suppose some people like the technical nerdiness in some styles that received attention, and some pop tunes might appeal to people with little musical taste development needs, but I don't find much which I find attractive or even acceptable, and will not change my mind. There are a few exceptions, and some long existing artists bringing out new music.

T