Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The affordable SMALL studio thread

I was looking for an affordable multi effects unit that I could hopefully use to eliminate some of the use of plugins.

This is largely to reduce latency since I am running an older computer (2014 MacBook Pro with 16 gigs of RAM) and plugins keep getting more resource hungry, slowing things down.

I found a Lexicon MPX550 listed on eBay as an M550 (photo shows otherwise) and when the seller sent me an offer the price went down to $197, quite a bit less than these usually go for. Yes, it is an older unit, the photos show it is in very well kept condition and good sound is good sound. The connections are professional as well.

Worst case, I can easily sell it for what I paid or a good bit more.

I'm kind of on a tear to get the sounds I want going in and not have to use many if any plugins. I guess we'll see if I can succeed at this. Sometimes spending a little money is cheaper than staying where you are.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have another kit from Microphone Parts.com. I have no affiliation with that company but have found them to offer outstanding products at very reasonable prices for the quality of the sound, the kit and building process and compared to other mics that are much more expensive.

I won a contest and built the MXL 990XL kit with the RK47 capsule and it sounds fantastic. I took my time and the mic worked on the first test, the build manual is flawless. All you have to do is follow it.

That mic has a transformer that generates second order harmonics and the capsule has a smooth but subdued high frequency response, it sounds fantastic for vocals.

My new kit is for a Groove Tubes GT-55 mic. I got the RK12 capsule and the T84-55 circuit board with the T65xf transformer. This will generate the highest level of second order harmonics of any Mic Parts kit.

That and the MXL kit I already built should cover my "vintage mic tone" needs.

Eventually I will build another kit with their RK87 and transformerless circuit board, that will be my clean sounding mic.

I am prone to using two mics at once for vocals. Align the fronts of the capsules as well as possible and record on separate tracks. One vintage and one modern will provide options when mix time comes. I'd probably do the same when tracking various instruments. Not inexpensive but not really high prices either, figure you'll be out under $400 per mic if you already have "donor" mics. They make a LOT of different kits for upgrading crappy, cheap Chinese mics into something really good.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to rearrange the space.

Yesterday at Value Village thrift store I found a complete, fully functional Roland HD-! V-Drum Lite digital drum kit. It was $152 including tax. I bought it.

Has MIDI out so plugins can be played and also all the drum sounds on my Roland Handsonic, the original model.

Most important, the sound in the room from it being played is extremely low level. With neighbors above and to the side that is really nice. Doesn't need microphones so it won't pick up any external noise either.

I highly recommend keeping an eye on your local thrift shops and pawn shops, you will find useful items for your studio there at stupid prices.

And today, Goodwill offered up a pair of short mic stands. I've been wanting those to mic guitar amps and other fun stuffs.

They were in the tools, I have no idea why. I've found a microphone there before as well. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

This may not last long but it's a perfect example of why one should keep an eye on eBay, Reverb and your local craigslist.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403349776393?epid=1945434922&hash=item5de9852809%3Ag%3AWwAAAOSwebNhtNdg&LH_ItemCondition=3000

A Neat Worker Bee and a Focusrite 6i6 USB interface for $100 + tax and $5 shipping. If you have a reasonably fast computer, there is your studio or at least the beginning of it. Great deal for some good gear. I've got 2 Worker Bees and love them. I've used the Focusrite, it's a nice interface and will deliver excellent results. Stupid cheap for the two items.

Yesterday I found 3 Audio-Technica AT841UG Omni-Directional Condenser Boundary Mics on eBay and I won the auction. Total was $51 including tax and shipping. Those mics were originally priced by Audio Technica at $299 each and show a frequency response graph from 40hz - 20khz. B&H has them for $219 each.

That's a decent set up for recording drums for one thing. Put one inside the kick and put the other two on either side of a 2'x2' board for the room and that should get some nice sounding drum tracks. Just do a high pass filter on the room mics and tweak the eq on the kick, done. You could use them for many things. One should make a great desktop mic with no stand needed. Looking forward to trying them and will report back.

Keep on circling, buzzards!!!! :)