Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Soundcraft E series vs M series vs Allen & Heath ZED

Hi guys

just wondered if there was any difference sonically between a Soundcraft E series or the M series?

My current Soundcraft ES desk is on its way out, had it since 2008, never let me down on over 1500 shows

a local guy is selling a mint condition boxed M series, I know it has 4 x Aux sends instead of 2, but wondered if it was a better sounding desk anyway? also another guy selling an Allen & Heath ZED14 in as new condition for around the same price

I"m only gonna be putting my 3 keyboards into my new desk in stereo and sending left and right XLR to FOH from itâ¦

then from the desk running into my Fischer Amps in ear amp 2 for wired in ears on stage

PS - I don"t want a digital deskð I like my current config

Cheers ð

2210.thumb.jpg.49aecb33c74280b307d3e5b455306a32.jpg

2211.thumb.jpg.5a6c6ee2debddaefbd47dca359289263.jpg

Korg Kronos 2 88 Gold Edition

Yamaha Montage 8 White Edition

Crumar Mojo Suitcase

2 x Roland Fantom X8

Roland Fantom X7

2 x Roland Fantom XR’s

Yamaha Motif ES7

Kawai MP11SE

Korg TR Rack

Korg SG Rack

Quiklok, Gibraltar & K&M Stands

Kali Audio LP-8 Monitors

Soundcraft EFX12 Mixer

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take a look at both of them and if they can both do the job I'd pick the less expensive one.

I haven't used either but am familiar with both brands. I don't think either of them will fail to deliver sonically.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

just wondered if there was any difference sonically between a Soundcraft E series or the M series?

Well, of course there's a difference sonically between Soundcraft's mixers. There can be a sonic different between two cables. But you're using the mixer primarily if not exclusively for live sound, and you don't don't have a lab to run tests that you can agonize over. And with live sound, you have a lot of distractions from the small subtle differences between op-amp circuits or transformers-or-none. So, for all practical purposes there's nothing to worry about there.

Make your choices based on functionality. Does one have a built-in effect processor that you think you'll never use? Do they use the same connector types (and mix of balanced outputs and inputs) as your present mixer so you won't need new cables? At least the same number of outputs and inputs as you presently have? Input and output levels?

I haven't done a comparison search of those mixers or other similar ones, but do that. See what you can get and don't get with each one.

PS - I don"t want a digital deskð I like my current config

Cheers ð

Not to worry, even people making digital mixers these days are making a point of them being "Analog" in the biggest font they can manage. Pay no attention to that USB.

"Onyx Series Premium Analog Mixers with Multitrack USB"

https://mackie.com/products/onyx-series-premium-analog-mixers-multitrack-usb

or

"Hybrid Analog/Digital Mixer"

https://www.korg.com/us/products/drs/mw_2408_1608/

(okay, I will admit that I was curious about these.)