Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strymon Big Sky or Night Sky for keyboardists

I did a search and couldn't find anything specifically on this topic; if it's there, just kindly steer me in the direction.

I'm trying to decide between Strymon's Big Sky and Night Sky for reverb. I know Big Sky has been a mainstay for keyboardists for years, but the Night Sky almost seems it was made to target keyboardists (I might be embellishing a little there :) ). I've watched several videos on both, even head-to-head, but I'd like to hear from keyboardists who have experience with both. I know the units are a little pricey, and there may not be a lot of people who have had both, but I thought I'd post to see if there was... Please note, I'm not in a position to try them out,so I need to hear the opinion of those who have.

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've debating getting one of these or another like them. It would only be for live--they'd sound great in a studio of course, but I'm totally software so it would be a pain and I have some nice verb plugins anyway. Problem is that many venues I turn off reverb completely due to the fact that they already have too much built in, so I wouldn't get as much use as I'd like.

What's an example of how a reverb pedal like that would be used in context for a keyboardist who doesn't do tape loops or heavy atmospherics? I'm ignorant but interested.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

I reckon they could do "regular" short reverbs (of high quality), or at least that is what I was thinking when I considered them. I obviously didn't look into it that much because I'm not positive of that.

Some day I hope to get a Big Sky pedal the media composers I follow online seem to use the Big Sky. They have access to all the software versions of everything, but still use a Big Sky pedal that says a lot to me about how it sounds.

Big Sky I could see being useful for keyboardists in general. It's premium priced, but it's got a nice selection of reverb types for just about any musical situation.

Night Sky has less choices of reverb types, in exchange for a sequencer for various rhythmic effects.

In that price range, the Line 6 HX Stomp or Stomp XL multi-effects might be worth considering. The factory presets include keyboard-specific ones.

Idle comment... having had chances to make use of everything from early no-name crap guitar pedals to beauties like Roland's immortal RSP-550, I wonder about the "fussiness" quotient people exhibit. I can hear the shadings, same way with synths, but I'm agog at my Valhalla plugs, for example. Modern reverbs are more than perfect for these road-worn ears. Push them and they all seem to hit that Yamaha "White Room" spot.

Where else is there to go without moving up to Atmos? I understand the variables like vintage compressors with that special sauce or your listening environment, but at this point, how could I know if the quality got objectively better? Happily, I can still hear both punchy basses and crotales, but I'm pretty sure 20 KHz is in my ear's rear-view mirror now. Does that mean I wouldn't love to get a Big Sky in my stocking? Get real! :laugh:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I get great Reverbs from my Timeline.

NightSky would be even more Robust.

I use the A16U converter with dip switches so the Strymons become AUXs on my Audio interfaces automated mixer.

Keep in mind Strymons are already to use with Nords, Korgs or an audio interface by switching the settings on the I/O panel.

These were meant for keyboards..

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I found the pedal of my dreams with Poly Effects Digit. Phenomenal reverbs, delays, chorus, phaser, flange, pitch, synth, drums, and so much more. Four ins, four outs, and midi in/out. I"ve had it six months and have barely scratched the surface. It can even load your own impulse responses.

While the touchscreen provides a completely blank canvas to mix and match modules to the wildest configurations imaginable, it can be a challenge to my poor visionâ¦I REALLY need to get some new glasses. Also, I miss a simple knobby interface, however the near infinite sounds this thing can doâ¦mind boggling. Once programming begins, the hours can fly by. Comes with tons of presets too, so it"s easy to find something close and tweak 'em too one liking.

Not what the OP asked for, but everybody wants to share their favorite pedal. :hider:

2197.thumb.jpg.34c4faef6916f9c60b8f1ed11b65f5f8.jpg

The way I see it (and I might be wrong) the Nightsky can give you almost everything the BigSky can, but the BigSky certainly can't give you everything the NightSky can. I've been lusting after a BigSky for a while, but after going down the NightSky rabbit hole my opinion is that the NightSky would be better suited for a keyboard player.

Saying that, as has been said - you can't really go wrong with either one.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

The way I see it (and I might be wrong) the Nightsky can give you almost everything the BigSky can, but the BigSky certainly can't give you everything the NightSky can.

BigSky has 12 reverb types - hall, plate, room, spring, etc. It's also got Chorale and Magneto.

NightSky does not appear to have spring reverb or the tape head emulation(s) like in Magneto.

Thanks for the responses everyone. It's clearly a tough choice; I think they're both top-notch and the question is simply which one would edge the other one out! I've got a couple more weeks before committing (2 more gigs worth!) I'm still keeping an open mind on both!

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!