Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The newest member of my family

86e10eee71bfbb421672178650314d86b87f8adc.jpg

This is my new 1959 Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Standard. Epiphone worked with the Gibson Custom Shop to create their "most historically-accurate '59 Les Paul Standard tribute ever." This guitar features Gibson Burstbucker pickups, CTS pots, a Switchcraft toggle switch, and more, in order to be as close to a real Gibson 1959 Les Paul as possible. It comes with a satin finish, instead of a high gloss finish like I would prefer. But, it's a minor detail that I can easily overlook. For years now I have wanted a Les Paul with a cherry sunburst finish, and now I finally have one. And best of all, I don't have to pay well over $100,000 for a genuine 1959 Gibson Les Paul. For my ears and hands, this is just as good for only $799 from Musicians Friend.

I rock; therefore, I am.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Good choice from the description. A "real" one without the "real" price!!!

I've owned 9 Les Pauls, all of them Gibson. 2 were white Customs and 7 were Studio models (which I preferered because no binding so easy to refret with my preferred wire) AND ebony fretboards.

The only one I (sort of) miss is a 2008 White Studio with chambered body and ebony board. I guess it's just not the right guitar for me, although it certainly seems to be for many.

I love my 335 and I'm looking forward to completing my boogered single cut Melody Maker from the late 50's early 60's. I've got a rewound by TV Jones Gretsch Supertron on it's way for that project.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

My Carvin has an ebony fretboard, which is my hands down favorite fretboard wood. This Epiphone comes with a fretboard made of Indian Laurelwood, which is very similar to rosewood. Although it's not as dark as I would like, it has a really nice woodgrain, as well as a smooth feel. One of the things I don't like about the satin finish is that it hides the AAA flamed maple veneer top. You can barely see the woodgrain in this picture I posted, although I can see it when I hold the guitar. Next up is a set of Schaller straplocks, to make sure that my leather strap doesn't pop loose. I have the Schallers on my Epiphone double neck, and I am sold on those babies.

I'm up to nine guitars now, and I'm thinking probably four more should do it. Maybe a 335 or similar style guitar, a bass of some kind, a Martin six string acoustic, and some kind of really good quality twelve string acoustic should pretty much take care of everything I'm going to want or need in the forseeable future. And I should get a Marshall stack because, well, it's a Marshall stack. Or maybe just a half stack. We'll see.

I rock; therefore, I am.

Having been a guitar tech for decades, I am with you on the Schaller strap locks, they are excellent. You've reminded me that I need to tighten one of mine.

Also being a practical sort, my other option that I do use often is a pair of large washers with small center holes. Just screw the strap on and leave it. My 86 Gibson ES-335 Studio has had the same strap on it since about 1988 and I'll just leave it.

Ebony is a favorite but I like my Fenders to be maple fretboards. Just a quirk maybe but it looks cool and sounds good.

A semi-hollow is a great change and a bass is essential.

If all goes well in just a few weeks I will be in possession of a very nice and pristine Martin acoustic guitar that I will be selling for a friend. If you will be interested in it, send me a PM and I'll keep you posted.

I had a well played and boogered Martin D-35 for many years but I got a Rainsong OM1000 and somehow never played the Martin again. Somebody else loves it, I am certain. I also have a Rainsong 12 string after a long search for the best 12 string and I've never played a better one.

Had a Mesa half stack years ago that ate Marshalls for lunch. Way too heavy and almost nowhere you can really play it, just too loud. I like small amps that I can turn up!!!! Cheers, enjoy the Epi!!!!

...my new 1959 Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Standard. Epiphone worked with the Gibson Custom Shop to create their "most historically-accurate '59 Les Paul Standard tribute ever." This guitar features Gibson Burstbucker pickups, CTS pots, a Switchcraft toggle switch, and more, in order to be as close to a real Gibson 1959 Les Paul as possible. It comes with a satin finish, instead of a high gloss finish like I would prefer. But, it's a minor detail that I can easily overlook. For years now I have wanted a Les Paul with a cherry sunburst finish, and now I finally have one. And best of all, I don't have to pay well over $100,000 for a genuine 1959 Gibson Les Paul. For my ears and hands, this is just as good for only $799 from Musicians Friend.

Congratulations! Enjoy!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I own several LPclones, none from Gibson or subsidiary. It"s hard to say which is closest to the original classic design.

I"m glad you found one to make your own!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

For $799, that's a steal! Very nice, very tempting at that price!

If you're seriously thinking about a 335-style Guitar, look for an Epiphone DOT or an Epi 335, and save yourself around $2500+/- off of one with "Gibson" on the headstock. My DOT is still one of my favorite Guitars, and it's more than held its value: I bought it in 2006 for $300US, new at GC, and I see used ones for $349-$399.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Congrats Sharkman She's a beauty! I have a Gibson LP Cherry Sunburst just like it. It has a static electricity problem due to the Nitro finish, but I liked the guitar so much I kept it. I tried everything to get rid of the static which goes away when your fingers are on the strings (i.e. most of the time LoL!). I think I paid $1,500 for mine and I still love it. Mine has the uncovered 57 Humbuckers in black and cream. Epi's are very hard to beat for the price and are great guitars IMHO. :thu:
Take care, Larryz

I VERY HIGHLY recommend that you put a set of DR Pure Blues strings on that- 11's, or 10's. I use the PB 11's, they're the ONLY strings I'll put on my Les Paul. They really bring out the best of a Les Paul, 335, or other such Gibson-y guitars.

Pure/solid-nickel compression-wound on round core-wire, as opposed to hex. Fuller, stronger midrange all-around, 'attitude' and punch; warmer, while still bright and present. The usual nickel-plated strings, especially those with hex-cores, sound noticeably "scooped" by comparison- these really are different! They FEEL great, too! Flexy and bendy. The .011" through .050" set is MARVELOUS on a Les Paul's short-ish scale-length. I'm going with their 10's on my Tele, but I might change to the 11's there, as well- and I used to play a 'Super-Strat" with 11's on it. Derek Trucks and Warren haynes seem to sound good with 'em...

Personally, I also prefer the "top-wrap" method of stringing a Les Paul- screwing the tail-piece studs all the way down tight to the threaded-inserts in the body, feeding the strings through the tail-piece from the bridge side toward the tail, wrapped over the top of the tail-piece, and to the bridge-saddles, nut and tuners. Duane Allman, Billy Gibbons, Michael Bloomfield, many, many others...

string_top-wrap.jpg

Photo credit: Photo Source: Gibson.com, by way of Sweetwater.com

Oh, another thing- get an Asterope Pro Stage (or Pro Studio; I prefer the thicker protective jacketing of the Pro Stage) instrument cable with the right-angle instrument-end plug. These are made to clearly handle full-range frequencies for amplified acoustic instruments from the lowest bass to highest treble registers, from double-bass to guitar and banjo to piccolo-mandolin and piccolo-violin; it'll deliver the output of our Les Pauls clearly and beautifully. Using some decent AKG headphones, I compared these to several other cables from a wide range of price-points and quality and there really is a difference! Sometimes subtle but clearly audible, sometimes drastic- and in the case of one horrible cable I compared it to, absolutely alarming! Besides the expected increase in highs, the mids were richer and more detailed and lows were deeper, stronger and tighter. For real!

Have fun with the new axe, it is a beauty. I hope it gives you many years of playing pleasure.

I just sold a similar Les Paul but it was a Gibson Les Paul Custom. It was a 70's or so model. I got 1200 bucks for it. I only paid $300 back in the middle 80's for it at my buddy's music store, the now defunct Sunset Music in Cherry Hill N.J. There are some reasons I got it so cheap. I then had it re fretted and had some other work done on it for another couple of hundred. Then after a decade or so I gave it to my oldest kiddo as he is a musician also, mostly bass player but he plays some pretty good guitar as well. A half dozen years back I got it back from him (As he has about 10 or 20 guitars acoustic and electrics and as many bass guitars both acoustic and electric) I messed with it for several more years then I sold it.

2198.jpg.ecaaf27ea5c253184ac2d7b6f9dec3af.jpg

I too just had a NGD and bought this puppy from MF:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-junior-electric-guitar/l54579

I've been wanting one of these since I was 13 years old and that's a long wait til I reached 71...The price is high at $1,500 for such a plain Jane. I've only had it two days and I'm deciding to keep it. The price is a bit higher as it does have Gibson on the headstock, made in USA on the back of the headstock, Plek'ed frets, 500k tone and volume pots (unusual for a single coil), audio taper pots, orange drop cap, US made Gibson P90, no 60cycle hum, wrap around bridge, rosewood fret board, mahogany body and neck, graph tech nut, came loaded with 10-46 strings, intonation good, 3rd string plain sounds as good as a wound string with the stock setup, easy bending, stays in tune even with new strings, very nice body, great sound for a single P90 at the bridge, vintage neck feels great and not chunky IMHO. String spacing narrow, so not for guys with fat fingers. Feels like an acoustic, plenty of room for hybrid finger picking, really cranks up the volume if you want it to. Great country rock sound. Nice and light weight, great Gibson case.

Downside, has the static electricity Gibson problem due to the Nitro finish but I can live with it. Jack is a little tight. Had to raise the pole piece one turn on the 1st string. I'm thinking I may have to keep running the same string gauge as there are no adjustments on saddles (same as an acoustic) and the 46 on the low E at the nut feel about as big as I would go to keep it low in the slot. So that's my review. You could get an Epi Jr. for about $350.

The older Jr's run $1,500 to $3,500 or more. Quite the collectors...This is my 1st P90 guitar and it looks, sounds and plays sweet. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

@Larryz Good luck with the new purchase, I hope it gives you many years of fun playing it.

I once had chance to buy a hardly used Gibson Les Paul Jr back in the middle 1960's for $150. I did not get it because it did not have Hum-bucking pups. That was my reason. (You can see I was not too well acquainted with a good value back then.) I always regretted not buying it, it sold right away as you would assume, I tried calling the lady back for it several days later, but it was gone. She sold it because her late husband died and she had no use for it. I was especially sorry that I did not get it when I was at a jam several years later and saw this guy playing one just like it through a little 15 watt 1-12" Ampeg combo turned all the way up and it sang just like that sweet Santana sound (what a bummer, I would probably still have it today).

I too just had a NGD...

I've been wanting one of these since I was 13 years old and that's a long wait til I reached 71... Plecked frets... ...graph tech nut, intonation good, 3rd string plain sound as good as a wound string with the stock setup, easy bending, stays in tune even with new strings, very nice body, great sound for a single P90 at the bridge, vintage neck feels great and not chunky IMHO. String spacing narrow, so not for guys with fat fingers. Feels like an acoustic, plenty of room for hybrid finger picking, really cranks up the volume if you want it to. Great country rock sound. Nice and light weight...

Niiiiiice... ! :cool: I bet I'd get along just-fine with that guitar.

500k tone and volume pots (unusual for a single coil)

That's actually pretty common with P-90's. I think that's what came stock in my P-90 equipped Gibson. You can go either way- 500k is fine and pretty standard, or, if you feel it's a little too bright, go to a 250k; I'm sure that there are even 300k or similar 'in-between' values out there.

Oh- another alternative to brightness and that pesky plain 3rd/G (you prefer wound 3rds, right?) would be a set of Thomastik-Infeld BeBop "Jazz Round-Wound" strings; and they make a pure/solid-nickel wound string on a round-core as light as a .021". You could go with a set of those, or a set of DR Pure Blues and separately get single T-I BeBop wound .021" for your 3rd (they're very similar to the DR PB's), if you wanted to.

The T-I BeBops are VERY smooth and warm and full, very similar to the DR Pure Blues, but even smoother and warmer, not quite as bright in the highs and upper-mids.

If intonation turns out to be difficult, there are lots of alternative stop-bar bridges out there these days, ranging from "lightning bolt" contours to individually adjustable saddles and everything in-between. Depends on just how deep into it all you want to go.

Downside, has the static electricity Gibson problem due to the Nitro finish but I can live with it.

THAT IS pretty common, too! And can be annoying. Good news- it'll eventually go away, that was my experience with two Gibsons. If you rub around on the guitar with a dryer sheet like 'Bounce', that can help- but (A) temporarily and (B) it'll probably leave a bit of residue that I would not care for the feel or scent of, "Your Mileage May Vary"! :D

If it's a real problem, word is, spraying shielding paint in the control and selector-switch cavities and being sure the painted surface is connected to ground will remedy this. I read that an individual took his Les Paul (under warranty) to an authorized service tech, who matter-of-factly did just that, and the problem ceased immediately. I haven't tried that myself; and again, in my case, the static zippering, crackling and popping noises coming through the amp and speakers from running my hands over the surface of the guitar eventually went away. I don't get that at all with my Les Paul anymore.

Now, I've read that some just stuck a dryer sheet inside the control cavity and/or underneath the pickguard, but that's effectively hearsay, and again I'm just not too crazy about the residue and scent of that stuff...

And if anyone tells you to spray Febreze on your guitar's finish, NO. Just NO. NO.

Thanks DBM, after reading your post I ran the amp on 1watt with the volume knob way up and both the volume and tone on the guitar full up. I got carried away while the wife was gone LoL! It was too loud for the room so I only did it for a little while. Next time she leaves, I'll run the amp on a 1/2 watt and try for that Santana sound again...This is the 1st P90 equipped guitar I have ever owned. Back in the day my dad let me play his 330 Gibson with 2 P90's. I played strictly rhythm guitar in those days and never cranked it up. Anyway, the Junior is a lot of fun and I'm getting more used to it each day... :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Thanks for the info Caevan! Yeah I've always been a wound 3rd guy on all my guitars acoustic and electric. On the Junior I must have lucked out as the plain 3rd sounds just fine (i.e., not tinny when played open), so I'm thinking of leaving it the way it's set up for 10-46 strings with a plain 17 3rd. I normally run 10-50's with a wound 18 3rd. My GHS "Rollerwounds" come in 10 13 17 26 36 46 which is the same as the strings on the Jr. so I'll give those a try when I make a change as they squeak less than round wounds...the light 10-46's bend very easy on the short scale Junior. I've never played on a wraparound bridge before and I can say the location really suits me...

I didn't know they ran 500k pots on single coils and thought they ran 250's until reading your post. I run 500's on my HB's. I like the way this Jr. sounds with a P90 running with a 500k.

On the Static noise I highly recommend nobody uses those dryer sheets. It only took me one time to learn they put a film on the guitar that ain't easy to get back off LoL! And, they didn't do any good as far as I could tell. There is a guy on YT that got rid of the static all together by using copper tape on the back of the cavity cover pot and switch plates without having to use the cavity spray. He also ran grounds to both the switch and the pots covers. I taped mine for the shield concept but didn't run a ground wire. So I ordered a soldering iron as I haven't done any soldering in ages. When it comes in, I'm going to ground the covers on my LP. If it works, I'll do the same with the Junior. The Junior will be easier as there is no selector switch or cover and it has less of a static issue to deal with.

Anyway, I know I must like the guitar if I'm willing to put up with a little static electricity. I wish I could say it's cuz I'm such a hot player, but that would be dreaming LoL! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

On the Static noise... There is a guy on YT that got rid of the static all together by using copper tape on the back of the cavity cover pot and switch plates without having to use the cavity spray. He also ran grounds to both the switch and the pots covers.

Basically the same thing, just adhesive copper foil shielding instead of conductive shielding paint.

I taped mine for the shield concept but didn't run a ground wire. So I ordered a soldering iron as I haven't done any soldering in ages. When it comes in, I'm going to ground the covers on my LP.

If you can, have the new ground connection(s) go to wherever there's already a ground connection- the fewer ground connections, the better, and ideally, just one single ground connection, sometimes called a "Star Ground" (just why, I don't know! :laugh::D ). This prevents ground-loops that can make hum and noise issues WORSE; I did that many years ago, getting carried away and it was like turning my guitar into an antennae and the copper foil-backed pickguard would act like a big weird pickup making rustling noises whenever I used the whammy-bar... !! :crazy::D So, don't do what I did!

If it works, I'll do the same with the Junior. The Junior will be easier as there is no selector switch or cover and it has less of a static issue to deal with.

That does simplify things, doesn't it? And guitars like that are just Rock 'n Roll MACHINES. Juniors and Esquires and such guitars with one pickup at the bridge make you play a little more aggressively, a little more expressively, partly because you have to get various tones with your fingers and a volume knob (and maybe a tone knob, too), and there's a directness about them. Not having the magnetic force of another pickup pulling on the strings makes 'em a little more vibrant and bold, too. I really need one or two, myself! :laugh::rawk: After all these years, I never had a Tele of my own, and now I'm correcting that; a little further down the road, I'll hafta get a single-pickup Les Paul stylee, too, and probably one with a P-90...

Anyway, I know I must like the guitar if I'm willing to put up with a little static electricity. I wish I could say it's cuz I'm such a hot player, but that would be dreaming LoL! :thu:

I bet you should give yourself a little more credit as being a good player, you must be pretty good; and I'm glad that you like the new guitar!

@Larryz, Now that I have been thinking about it, it was not a hundred fifty for the Gibson Les Paul Jr back in the mid 60's, it was fifty bucks. How bad is that? Passing up a decent guitar for almost not much money. And now that I think about it I could sell if for 20x that amount now, and have played it for all these years.

Oh well, I was a complete novice at that time. Water under the bridge. :idk:

@Larryz, Now that I have been thinking about it, it was not a hundred fifty for the Gibson Les Paul Jr back in the mid 60's, it was fifty bucks. How bad is that? Passing up a decent guitar for almost not much money. And now that I think about it I could sell if for 20x that amount now, and have played it for all these years.

Oh well, I was a complete novice at that time. Water under the bridge. :idk:

Well, fifty bucks was a LOT more money back then than it is now... Wouldn't that have been upwards of the buying power value of $400.00 in today's dollars... ?

Cut yourself some slack- about fifty bucks worth!

DBM, I have a lot of those woulda shoulda coulda memories LoL! I lucked into a deal hear and there but mostly have remorse over selling my Les Paul Deluxe for more than I paid for it LoL! I feel your pain Amigo! :cheers:

Caevan, re: LP Static Fix, I should do this on a special thread but since we are talking about it here, I'll post the remedy vid for the static electricity fix to include where and how to ground the cover plates. I think it's mostly coming from the nitro cellulose lacquer finish that Gibson started using. If they would just stick to the original finish, I think the problem would go away just like on Epi LP's and other guitars. The cheap plastic plates does have something to do with it but the grounding of them has more to do with creating a better shielding IMHO. When you rub the finish up and down the neck without touching the strings and then touch the string, you'll have a little static pop. Much like walking across a carpet and touch a friend....anyway I'll post what I've seen as the best fix for all those LP owners out there with the nitro finishes. This is this guys second video with some new advances that looks like it will work: Thanks for the kudos on my playing. I'm not a beginner nor advanced. Somewhere in the middle maybe leaning more advanced in my chord work for backing vocals than for leads. I can do a little of both....here's the vid: :thu:

Sorry the vid link is blacked out but you can call it up on YouTube at: "Gibson Les Paul Static Crackle Problem Solved" :cool:

He shows grounding with a small patch wire to the big plain wire running from the cavity to the bridge and again at the end of the switch ground body a small wire to the copper shielded plates. He puts a small strip of copper along both cavity edges to solder to. Then screws the plates down making grounding contact all around. He checks each screw head once the plates are back in place with a sign wave ohm meter to see they are all grounded. You can then access the cavities if needed at any time with no wire holding it back like a leash...(you can skip the guitar set up and string change portion and fast forward to the ending checks/problem solved) :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I don't even want to talk about the amazing guitars that I used to own. Gah!!!!!

To say nothing of the amps and pedals. I'd sell one to buy another, that's how I rolled. I always made a few bucks but who knew?

This afternoon I went outside to get the mail. My mailbox is in front of the street, at the end of my driveway. So, I walked out the front door with my Les Paul, just goofing around, doing some two hand tapping while walking like a rock star up on a stage. I only got two envelopes in the mail, so I put them in my mouth and strolled back up my driveway, playing the guitar. When I got to my front door, I happened to turn around, and saw that the neighbors across the street were out at the edge of the street, maybe thirty feet away from the mailbox. I didn't realize they were there, but I'm pretty sure they saw me. They're probably wondering if I'm some old rock star, or just a nutcase. Ehhh, I was having fun, and I promise to do it again until winter weather gets here.
I rock; therefore, I am.

This afternoon I went outside to get the mail. My mailbox is in front of the street, at the end of my driveway. So, I walked out the front door with my Les Paul, just goofing around, doing some two hand tapping while walking like a rock star up on a stage. I only got two envelopes in the mail, so I put them in my mouth and strolled back up my driveway, playing the guitar. When I got to my front door, I happened to turn around, and saw that the neighbors across the street were out at the edge of the street, maybe thirty feet away from the mailbox. I didn't realize they were there, but I'm pretty sure they saw me. They're probably wondering if I'm some old rock star, or just a nutcase. Ehhh, I was having fun, and I promise to do it again until winter weather gets here.

:laugh::D:thu:

Now, as I read that, each step of the way and increasingly so as I read along, I was on the verge of cringing as I was expecting some horrible guitar-damaging incident taking place in your story... !

I was relieved when that wasn't the case, happy endings and wondering neighbors!