Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eric Clapton Refuses to Play Venues Requiring Vaccination

The only medical experts we are allowed to listen to are the ones who agree with the government. I'm skeptical when other experts are denied a voice.

PG ⦠your analytical skills need a touch up. It seems you consistently only consider 'evidence' that supports your thoughts and reject any that do not. Classic confirmation bias.

Who has been denied a voice and where? That simply is not true. They can get on a soapbox and stand and say anything they want on any street corner. The fact that some people won"t give them a soapbox does not deny them the ability to say something. What is true is that some of these other experts opinions in peer review are overwhelmingly rejected. There will always be 'experts' with opinions that get tossed out. But they are outliers and on the far end of the bell curve by definition by their peers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I constantly have to listen to people whining about how they"re getting silenced.

The irony always seems to escape them.

FWIW, calling Clapton an 'idiot' and refusing to acknowledge supposed 'merits' of his argument isn"t denying him a voice or silencing his opinion, it"s just walking away.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

If Clapton was to only come out and say he does not want to be vaccinated, fine. When he uses his celebrity status to lead others into life threatening situations, not fine. And that IS what he is doing. Encouraging masses of non-vaccinated people to get together and spread the disease is dangerous and irresponsible. If you were watching a movie and a main character was encouraging 5000 people to get together in an enclosed space during a pandemic and arguing against vaccinations, you would be looking at the screen saying "what an idiot. No one is this stupid."

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

If Clapton was to only come out and say he does not want to be vaccinated, fine. When he uses his celebrity status to lead others into life threatening situations, not fine. And that IS what he is doing. Encouraging masses of non-vaccinated people to get together and spread the disease is dangerous and irresponsible. If you were watching a movie and a main character was encouraging 5000 people to get together in an enclosed space during a pandemic and arguing against vaccinations, you would be looking at the screen saying "what an idiot. No one is this stupid."

Thank you for staying on the Clapton topic more than the Coronavirus one. Obviously Clapton isn't being "silenced," this story is all over the media, and we're talking about it here. I think it's more like some people are invoking Frank Zappa - "shut up and play your guitar."

What will be interesting is to see whether people stay away because they don't want to be around unvaccinated people. As vaccine efficacy wanes over time and variants appear, even those who have been vaccinated will think twice about hanging out with people who could be carriers of something for which they have limited immunity.

I sometimes wonder who is starting these rumors and false facts. Some radical group that wants people to avoid vaccinations so the death tole will be higher?

One take:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/russia-troll-2020-election-interference-twitter-916482/

There is also a hard campaign from predominantly right-wing media to undermine trust in existing democratic mechanisms and systems, in the knowledge that people who lose trust in complex but balanced systems will tend to look towards strong figures with simple answers â demagogues.

This is *explicitly* the approach Steve Bannon exploited with his alt-right disinformation campaigns that resulted directly in DJT.

This is what we are seeing A LOT in Germany, and it results in rather strange alliances between outright Neo-Nazis and unwitting New-Age alternative-medicine hippies. Due to the expert social-media tactics, you have people with an ostensibly left-wing system-critical bent suddenly sharing content from right-wing extremists (just saw this again yesterday from an acquaintance on FB).

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

I sometimes wonder who is starting these rumors and false facts. Some radical group that wants people to avoid vaccinations so the death tole will be higher?

One take:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/russia-troll-2020-election-interference-twitter-916482/

There is also a hard campaign from predominantly right-wing media to undermine trust in existing democratic mechanisms and systems, in the knowledge that people who lose trust in complex but balanced systems will tend to look towards strong figures with simple answers â demagogues.

This is *explicitly* the approach Steve Bannon exploited with his alt-right disinformation campaigns that resulted directly in DJT.

This is what we are seeing A LOT in Germany, and it results in rather strange alliances between outright Neo-Nazis and unwitting New-Age alternative-medicine hippies. Due to the expert social-media tactics, you have people with an ostensibly left-wing system-critical bent suddenly sharing content from right-wing extremists (just saw this again yesterday from an acquaintance on FB).

Rolling Stone? The magazine that published a rape hoax that ruined the lives of innocent people and was successfully sued?

Those who like to cry about right wing conspiracies are often blind to what their side does. You only had to look at the 2020 election to see it in full force. Except that it wasn't one person, it was 90% of the media suppressing news and refusing to report the plainly obvious medical issues that if known would have hurt their preferred candidate's chances.

What surprises me the most is not that your media is dishonest and corrupt, it's that so many people still believe them.

Rolling Stone? The magazine that published a rape hoax that ruined the lives of innocent people and was successfully sued?

To be fair, it's owned by different people now, and uses different writers. Perhaps the above is one reason why. The politics remains left of center, but plays a diminished role in the editorial mix.

90% of the media suppressing news and refusing to report the plainly obvious medical issues that if known would have hurt their preferred candidate's chances.

Only the right-wing media was suppressing the information about the unscheduled emergency trip to Walter Reed hospital toward the end of 2019, the faltering walk down the ramp, the "report" from the White House physician that said Trump was the "healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency (which later turned out to be dictated), and the fact that Trump was the oldest person ever elected to the white house. The left-wing media jumped on it, just as the reverse happened with questions about Biden's mental acuity. The reality, of course, is that neither man is at the peak of physical health, by a long shot...but I never heard any report that dealt with the total picture, only one side of the story.

What surprises me the most is not that your media is dishonest and corrupt, it's that so many people still believe them.

What surprises me is that many of the horrible things the left says about the right are true, and many of the horrible things the right says about the left is true, yet people have a blind eye regarding their "tribe." One of the worst aspects of today's discourse is if an interviewer points out something that makes the interviewee squirm, and the response is "Well, the other side does it too." That's not an answer. A better answer would be "you're right, and neither side should be doing it."

To bring this back to Clapton, it's entirely predictable how different media handles it. Either he's a moron foolishly exposing people to a health hazard, or a valiant freedom fighter standing up for our rights. I think the explanation is much simpler. He hasn't had a hit in a long time, and he needs the money :)

Only the right-wing media was suppressing the information about the unscheduled emergency trip to Walter Reed hospital toward the end of 2019, the faltering walk down the ramp, the "report" from the White House physician that said Trump was the "healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency (which later turned out to be dictated), and the fact that Trump was the oldest person ever elected to the white house. The left-wing media jumped on it, just as the reverse happened with questions about Biden's mental acuity. The reality, of course, is that neither man is at the peak of physical health, by a long shot...but I never heard any report that dealt with the total picture, only one side of the story.

...A better answer would be "you're right, and neither side should be doing it."

So, one incident is under reported as compared to a full year or more of obvious and serious decline that is completely ignored.

You're right, neither side should do it. But it's a level today that's never been seen before. Pre-selected reporters ask pre-approved scripted questions and are given gibberish as answers and they toss all their journalistic ethics out the window and pretend that everything is fine.

One take:

Those who like to cry about right wing conspiracies are often blind to what their side does. You only had to look at the 2020 election to see it in full force. Except that it wasn't one person, it was 90% of the media suppressing news and refusing to report the plainly obvious medical issues that if known would have hurt their preferred candidate's chances.

Cool, so you"ve discounted the first line of my comment â the link â based on a dislike of the source, unread.

You quoted the entire rest of it though, which is about a different tack than the RS article.

No response? I take it you agree then?

I no longer watch CNN or Fox news because I am tired of news with a slant. I just want facts. And I can tell you if a media source favors the right or the left by the headlines. That is when they start trying to sway opinions. I'm on dish so I don't get it, but my sister has cable and the cable company has a news channel that everyone seems to love. It is just straight up facts. No opinions. No slant. Just news. I remember when Dan Rather rose to fame as anchor of CBS. When Republicans were in office he seemed to be Democrat. When Democrats went in he seemed to change to Republican. I eventually decided that he just wanted to stir controversy. We used to call the CBS nightly news "The World According to Dan Rather." Now everyone wants to affect the news rather than just report it.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

So, one incident is under reported as compared to a full year or more of obvious and serious decline that is completely ignored.

I'm not being facetious when I say I'm still not sure if you're referring to Biden or Trump but I'll assume Biden and leave the politics at that.

You're right, neither side should do it. But it's a level today that's never been seen before. Pre-selected reporters ask pre-approved scripted questions and are given gibberish as answers and they toss all their journalistic ethics out the window and pretend that everything is fine.

Both sides do it, but one side complains about the other. I think both sides should be complaining about both sides...but what do I know?