Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bill Whitlock - Streaming Talk July 26 Noon EDT

Y'all must think I'm Bill Whitlock's agent since this is about the third presentation he's given that I though might be of interest. Bill took over Jensen Transformers from Dean Jensen, and, while he knows a lot about a lot of stuff that goes into our gear, his specialties are in making thing work in the best way when you connect them together. He's put together a talk for the Audio Engineering Society Standards Committee Analog Interconnections Working Group that you can sit in on. It will start (as accurately as these things start anyway) from Noon to 1 PM, Eastern time, on Monday, July 26.

I don't have anything specific about his talk, but I always find that when he talks, it's worth while listening. He's great at explaining why things work and why they don't. Since the broad scope is to establish standards that equipment manufacturers can use to assure that their gear talks to the next piece of gear in line. And I can assure you that digital audio didn't make analog interconnections go away. It'll be worth an hour if you have the time.

The Zoom version of the event (and ability to submit questions) is open to AES members only - you have to register and to do so you must be an AES member, but you already know that if you are one. They will simultaneously broadcast to AES's YouTube page for any nonmembers who would like to watch the event.

AES's YouTube channel can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/user/AESorg. You'll probably be able to find it there if you connect to that YouTube page just a couple of minutes before noon (or maybe a couple of minutes after).

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone make it to this show? I remembered that it was at noon today, I just forgot to make sure I knew when noon was. By the time I remembered it was nearly 2 0'clock. Don't get old if you can avoid it,

I looked for the YouTube version and of course it wasn't up yet. I guess someone has to get around do doing something with something in order to get link to the video set up. Maybe in a couple of weeks, . . . .

OK, since everyone missed it, the video of the talk is now up on You Tube. You can get to it directly here: [video:youtube]

The official reason for this seminar was to convince the AES and manufacturers to get together on standards for interconnecting analog equipment, adhere to them, and that manufacturers specify the input and output configurations for a piece of gear so the user will know how to connect to it. The talk was well balanced, well explained, and well illustrated by Bill (as usual) and it's a worthwhile primer on what balanced and unbalanced really means, why we have ground loops and how to avoid them, and best practices for cable wiring when connecting a balanced and unbalanced device.

Stuff you should know about, and think about next time you have an XLR connector in one hand and an RCA jack in the other and know that if you buy a ready-made cable or adapter, it won't be the best way of connecting them for minimum hum and noise - and how you can do it correctly with some parts and a soldering iron.