Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's a Voiceover Over, Anyway?

(borrowed from Dr. Mike on his recording forum)

I continue to randomly swap out my voiceover mics to see if there's any one that I truly like better than all the others.

I never thought much about the term "voiceover" until home-brew podcasting became so popular. "Voiceover" implies that the voice rides over something, usually music, though I'd accept ambient sound such as street traffic if one is telling a story about a busy street or jaywalking. But I think we need a hip sounding (or not) word for just plain spoken voice without (intentional) background sound or music.

When I was writing reviews and wanted to describe the performance for voice, I usually used "spoken word," but that sounds so stuffy.

Any thoughts? Any good words about a new, or old resurrectable word that we could use?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Blatherspew"? Most of it is, not casting aspersions on those who have great things to share.

"Wisdom of the Ages" won't qualify, due to the high percentage of horrendous podcasts.

"Some O' That Fancy Talking" might appeal in some areas and not so much in others.

"A Barrage of Shit" is not very nice, although it covers a significant percentage of the output.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I often use the staid, but descriptive, "narration" when doing a voiceover for video that requires a story to go along with it. But it's not a suitable replacement for voiceover...it's a more specific description.

Maybe instead of "voiceover" mic, "spoken word" mic does make sense, stuffy or not...

I often use the staid, but descriptive, "narration" when doing a voiceover for video that requires a story to go along with it. But it's not a suitable replacement for voiceover...it's a more specific description.

Maybe instead of "voiceover" mic, "spoken word" mic does make sense, stuffy or not...

"Narration" is good for a video, though I suppose that the video could be what the voice is over if you wanted to use "voiceover."

I suppose there's nothing wrong with "vocal mic" when talking about a microphone, but when talking about the activity that vocal mic is used for, it's not necessarily "over."

"Narration" is good for a video, though I suppose that the video could be what the voice is over if you wanted to use "voiceover."

I suppose there's nothing wrong with "vocal mic" when talking about a microphone, but when talking about the activity that vocal mic is used for, it's not necessarily "over."

Semantics, it are goofinesses when misproperly delegated. :)

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.