Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond VST Recommendations

Hello. I am seeking recommendations for a Hammond VST.

My requirements 1) won't crash; 2) works under Windows; 3) great organ tone; 4) great Leslie sim; 5) responds reliably in real time to CC messages for volume, drawbar movements; Leslie off/slow/fast.

Organ tones I hope to recreate: pretty much any Hammond on TOP recordings.

(I know the smug chuckleheads are eager to make jokes about "won't crash" and "works under Windows", but I am hoping we can forego the partisan platform wars, and just go forward with the sharing of what is liked and disliked about Hammond VSTs. Thx.)

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used GSI VB3 1.4, Acousticsamples B-5 v2.0 and 3.0, and IK Multimedia Hammond B-3X - all on a nearly 10 year old Windows 10 64-bit laptop. IMHO, B-3X is the one to beat of these three. It is a bit of a resource hog (especially on my aging system), but I have never had it crash, even during tons of live gigs. Its Leslie sim is truly next-level good!

If you have an iPhone or iPad VB3m works well and it"s $13

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I have used GSI VB3 1.4, Acousticsamples B-5 v2.0 and 3.0, and IK Multimedia Hammond B-3X - all on a nearly 10 year old Windows 10 64-bit laptop. IMHO, B-3X is the one to beat of these three. It is a bit of a resource hog (especially on my aging system), but I have never had it crash, even during tons of live gigs. Its Leslie sim is truly next-level good!

Those along with Blue3 from GG are the main popular choices.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've got VB3, Blue3, IKs Hammond B-3x, and I agree with davin's post. IK Multimedia went to bed with Hammond and this is the most realistic Hammond VST out there (imho).

Waiting for Jim to show up to this party. I respect his opinion more than mine him being able to play a real Hammond much better than most (especially me).

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I can only talk about the sounds of these as I use them on Mac instead of Windows, so I can't comment on performance/stability:

Of the current crop, I have GSI VB3-II, Acoustic Samples B5, and recently added IK Multimedia B3X. They all sound good, but definitely different from each other. I'd give the edge to B3X for a couple of reasons. I think it's got the best sound overall, and the best sounding Leslie sim in particular. I'm also liking the B3X UI the most as well. But when it comes down to it, it's just got something about the sound that I can't put my finger on that I don't hear in the others. I wish I could describe it better. There's just something in the sound that adds a layer of realism that's missing from VB3-II and B5.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I didn't like VB3 at first, but once I dove into the settings on my Mojo61 (which I assume are the same), it really came alive. I've always wanted to like B5, and for jazz and softer stuff it always sounds super smooth. But there's something about the Leslie that is just wimpy. If I ever want thick distortion, I can't get that good barking and grinding that I can get from other sims. They improve the realism with every version of B5 (v1 is awful and not their own sim) but they haven't made it sound any heavier. I think I'm going to buy VB3-2, just so I can match my sound on my Mojo61. I'd really love to try B3X, but I don't really see the point since I have the Crumar. However, having a software version of VB3-2 could come in handy when I don't want to lug the second board.

Tried Blue3 briefly. Probably not enough to REALLY put it through its paces. But it didn't really grab me.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I don't have any Hammond plugins. I do have the IK TrackS Leslie and I really like it, great sound.

One thing that may give IK an edge is their experience modeling tube amplifiers, Amplitube is in version 5 and keeps improving.

Tube amps are a huge part of the Hammond sound, if you get those correct you are well on the way.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

All mentioned have demos so it's worth your time to try them all.

Love and constantly use the IK, though it's pricey compared to others. It does go on sale.

I recently demoed VB3 to check out the sound before I bought a Mojo. I liked it very much, not as pretty GUI as IK, but really nice. Well priced, very stable and great sound. It confirmed my decision on the Mojo.

BTW I know OP is Windows, but for any OSX users, there's a great soundset for Mainstage/Logic organ by Christian Cullen. He did a superb job with presets and setups. https://loopcommunity.com/en-us/patch-bundles/vintage-organ-pack-by-christian-cullen-14

I've got no skin in the game - love to support our fellow brethren and it'll be $20.00 well spent to make the logic organ useful.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.