Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Better Piano for Mojo! Yay! Tip

I've found a tip to improve the built-in Piano sound for the Mojo61, at least for rock, pop, and jazz. After feeling discouraged by the rabbit hole of trying to Frankenstein an external piano sound to the Mojo61, I played around with the settings themselves, and tripped on something that makes the built-in Mojo piano much more usable. For all the E-Pianos, I leave the amp modeling on, and set to Fender Twin... which I feel is probably their best amp model, as well as the most iconic. However, I've always left it OFF for the Acoustic Piano, as you would expect. This time, I turned it ON with the Drive nob all the way down, and suddenly the Piano really pops, in a good way. Somehow that amp model boosts a lot of the missing frequencies and smooths it out a lot. It also adds a bit of warmth that reminds me of good jazz recordings from the 70s. I probably wouldn't choose to use it for solo classical stuff, but it's a good rock/jazz piano, and probably fine for other ensembles. It doesn't even sound "Amp'ed", just better. With a touch of reverb, it's very usable. Before I would rate it a D+, and this moves it into solid B territory. It certainly doesn't compare to the best soft synths out there, particularly for versatility, but in most situations it should be far more than passable.

I almost wonder whether they created the piano patch with the amp model in mind.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, thanks.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I feel that the base piano is a bit mid-heavy ('cold'), but certainly after adding the amp sim it"s fairly bright, so yes, turning back up the kids makes sense.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?