Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Full collection of Keyboard mag back issues value?

AWG

I have a full collection of every issue of Keyboard mag in print - roughly 500 issues. All in good to decent condition (one even autographed by Tony Banks). I want to sell the whole set, but need guidance on pricing. Any thoughts?
Main rig: Korg SV-1, Roland XP-60, Moog Sub-37

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck :)

Right. :D

At this point in time, I would put the whole lot on eBay with a starting bid at $50 or make an offer.

The main thing would be figuring out the shipping cost. That's not going to be cheap. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

At this point in time, I would put the whole lot on eBay with a starting bid at $50 or make an offer.

The main thing would be figuring out the shipping cost. That's not going to be cheap. :cool:

Years ago my Dad had a pile of model railroading magazines he wanted to get rid of. Some kid answered the ad and came over to look at them. He asked how much they were; Dad answered they're a dollar apiece, if you take them all they're FREE.

The kid took them all.

At this point in time, I would put the whole lot on eBay with a starting bid at $5000 or make an offer.

Corrected. The guy/gal who spends 25K or more on the vintage synth of his dreams will want a healthy supply of KB magazines to show off as well.

Theyre such a nostalgia trip with all the ads etc. that -I- would hold on to them.

Honestly, if you look at eBay, there are people selling SINGLE issues anywhere from $5 to $20! Selling the whole bunch is really hard, unless you really just want someone to take them off your hands. Even if a single magazine costs only $2, thatd be a sweet $1000 right there :D

Theyre such a nostalgia trip with all the ads etc. that -I- would hold on to them.

Honestly, if you look at eBay, there are people selling SINGLE issues anywhere from $5 to $20! Selling the whole bunch is really hard, unless you really just want someone to take them off your hands. Even if a single magazine costs only $2, thatd be a sweet $1000 right there :D

It's one thing to LIST single issues for $5 to $20. It's a whole 'other thing how much people BUY them.

I also have an almost complete set, back to the first issue of "Contemporary Keyboard (Chick Corea on cover, IIRC).

I would sell these for cheap if somebody came and picked them up. I live in Northeastern Ohio. PM me if interested.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

• 2 years later...

[align:left][/align]

I also have an almost complete set, back to the first issue of "Contemporary Keyboard (Chick Corea on cover, IIRC).

I would sell these for cheap if somebody came and picked them up. I live in Northeastern Ohio. PM me if interested.

If you're still trying to relocate these to a good home, please let me know. I need to travel to Ohio at some point, and this would be an excellant reason to go sooner than later.

I would just donate them to a music school or a local music program for young musicians. When I moved out of my house to an apartment I donated a lot of gear and books to a local Jazz program for young musicians. They came and picked up everything so it made it easy for me.

It's me again, three years later. Still have all of the old Keyboard magazines, still live in Northeast Ohio. Please PM me if you are interested.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I have about a decade's worth of KB Magazines, basically they just take up space so that my bookshelves don't appear empty. I might go thru them and keep a dozen issues, but at some point I will discard them and consolidate. One of my bookshelves' function is simply to elevate my WIFI router...

It took me a year to get rid of mine. A local buyer fell on hard times and couldn't complete the sale (and pickup from my house), and my wife wouldn't let me haul them up and down the basement stairs again, so I rearranged them in the middle of the living room floor and turned them into a makeshift coffee table, where they sat for over 12 months.

I ended up shipping them to the UK, where a fellow MPN member (hi Mike!) is currently scanning them to add to a huge music magazine archive. He paid for shipping, and insisted on paying me back by building (!) me a little synthesizer... which is currently still in its box where it is languishing waiting for me to finish one monumental task that is hanging over my head before I do ANYTHING in my studio. That said, I would happily have given them to him for free, and had planned to before he made the offer.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Many of my issues went bye-bye due to thumbprint overload. They often languished between issues of Heavy Metal, Popular Science and National Lampoon in the bong pile. Well-read is a mild term here.

I also ceased to get the same rush from ads for the Mu-Tron Bi-Phase. Now my dream synths are all in software for $25-200. :crazy:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

It took me a year to get rid of mine. A local buyer fell on hard times and couldn't complete the sale (and pickup from my house), and my wife wouldn't let me haul them up and down the basement stairs again, so I rearranged them in the middle of the living room floor and turned them into a makeshift coffee table, where they sat for over 12 months.

I ended up shipping them to the UK, where a fellow MPN member (hi Mike!) is currently scanning them to add to a huge music magazine archive. He paid for shipping, and insisted on paying me back by building (!) me a little synthesizer... which is currently still in its box where it is languishing waiting for me to finish one monumental task that is hanging over my head before I do ANYTHING in my studio. That said, I would happily have given them to him for free, and had planned to before he made the offer.

That's great news re the digitising project, am really keen to hear its outcome :thu:

Me too. I"d love to have digital copies of all of the issues. Even better if somehow they could be indexed. But it is hard to justify the older we get keeping print versions of all of that kind of thing. I"m at a stage where I am trying to downsize.

I always thought it was wonderful how Sound on Sound does it. Buy a subscription and you have access to digital copies of everything. Used to pull them up on my iPad and read articles for hours (I did get them for the articles - lol)

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I have every issue of Keyboard and I'M KEEPING THEM!!! Love the ads (the Mellotron giveaway in the first issue was fun!) and the articles and interviews. They only take up about 4-5 shelves in my studio so why not. I enjoy perusing them now and again.

But I agree it would be nice to have digital versions online available. Archive.org has lots of PC Magazine, monster magazines and stuff. The Comic Book Archive has tons of (non-Marvel, non-DC) comics available for free (I am enjoying the Fawcett Captain Marvel issues).

So the scanning for an online music archive that Dr. Metlay noted is interesting.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

^ Archive.org has proved to be a fantastic resource. Not only magazines of all kinds, but also old sample CDs and retro games in image format.

Is it 'mu:zines' who is doing the scans?

I still wish someone somewhere would scan Roland"s User Group mag and Korg"s ProView. Great stuff in those too.