Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amazing singing and playing

She's off the charts good, and though I usually don't enjoy him, in this case, he doesn't let his TV personality get out in front of his playing. Remarkable note choices! She's the star tough inho.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like dB, I've seen Lake Street Dive a bunch of times in the NYC area over the last decade or so. A real creative bunch and always a great show but she is definitely the star of the show. Not only does she have the voice but she also has a captivating presence in her delivery on the stage. She really should be a much bigger star than she is now.
Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

Rachael is the real deal for sure. I"ve been fortunate enough to see Lake Street Dive 7 or 8 times, some predating their 'overnight success' when Kevin Bacon tweeted that Boston sidewalk cover of the Jackson Five. The bass player/songwriter Bridget Kearney grew up in our little college town and spent time at the youth arts program my brother ran. It was great to see 4 young people who were serious about their craft and spent 10 years in a van before it all paid off. I don"t love everything they do but a lot of it is greatâ¦it"s not easy to write smart but accessible pop music.

Anywayâ¦back to Rachaelâ¦this one slays me:

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Real nice! This is the first time I've heard either of them. I love to hear a GASB standard played/sung right.

I like those slightly 'out' fills Chris does between sections. I've heard that approach before, can't remember where right now, but it definitely works here.

Not in the video at the top of this thread, but in some of Price's performances I hear a strong Amy Winehouse influence in her vocal stylings. Don't know anything about her or if she acknowledges that, but to my ear it's definitely there.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Not in the video at the top of this thread, but in some of Price's performances I hear a strong Amy Winehouse influence in her vocal stylings. Don't know anything about her or if she acknowledges that, but to my ear it's definitely there.
I had never heard Amy Winehouse before hearing Lake Street Dive and Rachel Price. I used to accompany a very good female vocalist and I turned her onto this years ago, she brought up the Amy Winehouse influence, so you're definitely not alone.
Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

I was going to post the same thing. I suspect it's more like "Amy and Rachael have the same influences...", Amy's love of jazz was a common theme in her interviews.

Cheers, Mike.

I suspect it's more like "Amy and Rachael have the same influences...",

That may be closer to the truth. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that Amy Winehouse invented jazz, or even that she was a good jazz singer. I was only saying that I hear Winehouse in some of Price's ways of turning a phrase. And that's only in passing and only in some performances.

Having read on her a bit, Price's story is quite interesting and there's a lot to it. She wasn't some undiscovered talent who popped up on a Boston sidewalk. It seems like her artistry has been a main focus of her life since an early age, and she was a dedicated student of jazz. I saw no mention of Winehouse in any of her stated influences.

Price would have been 18 when Winehouse's first and relatively unknown album," Frank," came out. Even if we assume that Price heard that album at that time, that's still a little late to be a formative influence.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Price would have been 18 when Winehouse's first and relatively unknown album," Frank," came out. Even if we assume that Price heard that album at that time, that's still a little late to be a formative influence.

I bet she would love it though...

Cheers, Mike.

Wonderful! My daughter has been a big fan for years and, as a result, I"ve been exposed to a lot of Lake Street Drive. Rachael is awesome!

As PianoMan51 pointed out the Bill Evans influence is very apparent. After the first two chords of the intro I was thinking of Peace Piece and soon after that Some Other Time.