Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why I I Got Kicked Out of Guitar Center

I am not going to take this lying down...

How it happened...

About a month ago Guitar Center in Salem Oregon had a used gear trade in day. I brought in a Yamama YTP 300 portable type keyboard and honestly wasn't expecting all that much for it.

I took it to a guy at the counter and he made me what was actually a pretty good trade offer. While this was in process another salesman came up.

The first thing he did was find a cow mooing sound on the keyboard which he kept playing over and over during my transaction. He then stated to the person who had given me the trade in quote that the keyboard was in "poor condition" and to cancel the transaction already in progress.

After suffering through this guy for about 5 minutes I left the room and told the first person I had dealt with that I was not happy with the other salesman's judgemental nature and that I would wait in another room till he finished the transaction.

Cut to yesterday. I was in the same GC and wouldn't you know it...the Cow Man himself actually approached me.

I did NOT want to talk to him. I told him that it would be best if we not communicate and went into another room.

First he followed me into the keyboard room...which I left and then into the acoustic guitar room.

In the guitar room he made reference to the "poor condition" incident and then started waving his finger in my face as I tried to leave and avoid him. I got out into the lobby and he shouted very loudly that I needed to get out of the store! I asked for a manager but none appeared so I left.

What I did was contact management in the Clackamas Oregon store which I found out has jurisdiction over the Salem store. I am going to have to wait to find out what they say but in the mean time....how could this happen?

It's just another incident of what has become to be known as the " Calling Out Culture". I am curious to see how this plays out... I have been a steady customer and am known to the manager and a few other employees as perhaps a friendly person in general.

Support on this appreciated...if you want play devil's advocate... I already know who might chime in that way.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today"s culture⦠many feel emboldened to say whatever they want and act out with impunity. I was raised in a generation where you said nothing if you didn"t have anything nice to say, and would be embarrassed to cause a scene in public.

Sounds like you handled yourself well⦠I think I would have been far more rude and dressed him down accordingly once he persisted.

The ONLY thing I said to him was...its best that we don't communicate. Then he basically started chasing me around the store trying to provoke something.

I should realize if you even say anything to a person like that you risk road rage level behavior.

I'm 53 and have no idea what "calling out culture" means. I've had bad service when I was young and bad service recently, but not often. I guess I don't see some trend or change. There are assholes and weirdos working in stores, sounds like you ran into one based on the facts of the story above.

It's pretty simple, if you get bad service let the store know and if they are backing up their guy then go up the chain and let them know what happened and why you feel you got bad service. Or if you don't see the point, just don't give that store your business. I avoid a few stores for various reasons, I don't make it a big deal but I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

I hate to think it. But your moo moo man is probably the manager, or in charge of that shop. Otherwise why would he have the authority to overrule the other guy"s trade in offer. Screw them and their shop. Take your business elsewhere.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Nope...not the manager . He assumed authority he may not have had.

There are policies in many businesses that reserve the right to refuse service...but I am not sure that is the same thing as demanding that someone leave.

Look at GC precarious bankruptcy situation. And right now...this forum is world wide. I am trying to decide what to do.

I think this is one not to just let go...

An unfortunate side effect of the lack of customer service training and other issues with today's society. As mentioned above, some people feel emboldened to do and say whatever they want and/or feel.

I definitely wouldn't "let it go". Contact as many folks as possible within GC to make them aware of your customer experience.

Both management and potential customers need to know what's going on in these stores and businesses before they spend their time and money there.

If we do or say nothing, poor customer service will continue to thrive. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've been on both sides of the counter, I've made mistakes and had mistakes made. I learned how to treat customers a LONG time ago and am very good at it.

Where possible in these situations, I've gone straight to the top or as high up as possible. I will request the manager, if that doesn't work I will repeat my request "Can you please bring a manager in to solve this problem, this should not be happening." loudly, clearly and with a calm, firm voice. I want other customers to hear it, that is kryptonite for sales staff.

On occasion I've written a calm, factual account of the event (similar to the OP), let them know of my stature as a customer and made it very clear that I had other options that were more satisfactory. If needed (in this case it would be) I name names.

I do mention that they will lose customers if they cannot maintain a standard of customer service.

Sadly, quite a few companies are going the way of Century Link, where calling their toll free number will cost you 45 minutes of menu surfing if you are prepared and good luck finding A: an actual human to talk to or B: an actual human who has any idea what to do with you other than refer you to the morass of pre-recorded options and waiting while the excruciating background music robs you of your soul.

Honestly, I would have requested the store manager immediately when Big Mouth started in and I would have begun speaking very loudly so that any other customers in the proximity could hear exactly what was going on. I can be tedious and loud as long as I need to. If Big Mouth doesn't back down, I escalate. It's happened, once. Usually speaking loudly (but calmly and clearly), staying on topic and making it sound just as bad as it truly is right in front of other customers will turn things around.

I hate doing it, things like this should never happen. Even when I've won (almost every time), I rarely go back to the same store again unless management changes.

They do have quite a bit of turnover at GC.

Best of luck to you! Cheers, Kuru.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I respectfully suggest that we only know your side of the story. Still, following you around the store and telling you to get out does not seem warranted as you did not commit any kind of transgression that we're aware of. Did you say anything insulting to him, especially when he said to cancel the trade transaction? If you had to state it from his perspective, is there anything you did or said that would justify his behavior? If you really don't think so, then don't let it go. He needs to experience consequences for his behavior, up to and including getting fired if he's really out of line. A good friend and pro musician worked at GC a long time ago. Most ex-employees recognize that it's a shitty job, and that some of the people that work there are crappy human beings. Not all. Some are good people just trying to make a living. But for some assholes, it's the only job they can get. They deserve to have their assholiness called out.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I respectfully suggest that we only know your side of the story. Still, following you around the store and telling you to get out does not seem warranted as you did not commit any kind of transgression that we're aware of. Did you say anything insulting to him, especially when he said to cancel the trade transaction? If you had to state it from his perspective, is there anything you did or said that would justify his behavior? If you really don't think so, then don't let it go. He needs to experience consequences for his behavior, up to and including getting fired if he's really out of line. A good friend and pro musician worked at GC a long time ago. Most ex-employees recognize that it's a shitty job, and that some of the people that work there are crappy human beings. Not all. Some are good people just trying to make a living. But for some assholes, it's the only job they can get. They deserve to have their assholiness called out.

As El Lobo points out we're only hearing one side of the story and my experiences in working retail and phone and online tech support for a sales person or customer rep' to remember a customer to point they hurrash them on a return visit something else had to happen or been said. Cause I remember with dealing with bad customers in my work the best thing to do even if it means "eating some crow" do what you have to to make the go away. And that works as a customer too and I should win an Oscar for some of my acts I've put on with a jerk salesperson that in the end I got what I wanted.

Also when you have a really good experience with a salesperson or customer service person let the company they work at know. First it really helps them when they get a "Atta boy" from a customer, but they remember it and next time I deal with them they are real nice.

The way some countries have mandatory couple years of military service I think we should have mandatory couple years of working in retail or customer service. Once you work with dealing with the public for awhile how you treat sales people and customer service people changes.

Bottom line fighting fire with fire just burns everything down. Sometime you need to bite your lip and just throw a bucket of water on the fire so it's over.

Another example of cow out culture. I agree this guy's behavior was udderly ridiculous. How dairy act superior to you? You are probably tens times the musican he is, yet he has to milk his lowly position for all it's worth. Just because he was in a bad mooood. If it were me, I would grab the bull by the horns, go back and talk to the manager. Better to take action than to ruminant over what you might have done.

More seriously, I think one just has to rise above these situations.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Another example of moo out culture. I agree this guy's behavior was udderly ridiculous. How dairy act superior to you? You are probably tens times the musican he is, yet he has to milk his lowly position for all it's worth. And why? Just because he was in a bad mooood. If it were me, I would grab the bull by it's horns, go back and talk to the manger. Better to take action than to ruminant over what you might have done.

More seriously, I think one just has to rise above these situations.

giphy.gif

I agree, walk away. Simply deal with a better place.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

... Once you work with dealing with the public for awhile how you treat sales people and customer service people changes. ...
This is so true. Talk to any person who has ever waited tables or tended bar. They have lots of "customer from hell" stories. And when they eat at a restaurant or buy drinks at a bar, they are some of the nicest people and the biggest tippers, even when they don't have a lot of money themselves. They've been there and they know what it's like on the other side.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I would simply say to the guy that he is jeopardising a sale and future sales and that he should walk away and never approach you again.

I took great delight in visiting a Music Store two years after receiving bad service from them, I tried some kit then thanked them and said I was leaving.

When asked why I was not buying from them I recounted the prior incident and said that the action I received in the Store had cost them £10,000 in lost business.

Col

In response to El Lobo question

The only thing I said to the guy was...its best that we don't communicate

When I did the moo moo deal...yes I told the salesperson that I did not appreciate that guy telling me that anything was in poor condition

I thought later that I should have thrown the board on the floor..stomped the hell out of it and said...OK.This is what poor condition looks like!

BTW..thanks to all for your support.

I think I know what happened. You had the transpose button activated from some prior gig where you were trying to make it easier to play the moo sound, and that's probably what set him off. If you go back and talk to him, let him know you'll give up the transpose button, I think he'll come around.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

You did the best thing because had you stuck around it would only have ended worse for you. Let us assume that everything was exactly as you described. Going forward handle it outlining the facts and avoid uncontrolled emotion. Emotion is called for, valid and even useful but you want to direct it where you have every right to be furious with how this situation developed. But if you lose control and just get mad you will lose ground. If you keep it focused you have a strong case and the best chance of gaining support from a corporate level. No one at the top who has a business acumen will tolerate petty behavior from those interfacing with the public. Now if it was just between employees there would be a good chance they would not care to get involved unless they saw a clear cut opportunity to expel someone to clean house.