Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB - MIDI Host

Many of the P series range of Yamaha stage pianos - and it seems an increasing number of other recent keyboards - don't have standard 5 pin DIN MIDI in/output ports.

Which has meant buying something like a Kenton MIDI USB Host interface if you want to connect to other MIDI units, without using a computer.

Nothing wrong with that unit - it works fine -- but it is expensive (around £90 here in the UK).

Has anyone tried out one of these as an alternative?: http://www.doremidi.cn/h-pd-2.html

Looks very similar, but is only around half the price of the Kenton device.....

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you just want your p series Yamaha to play the keyboard on your ipad based b3x, you just need the apple camera kit or generic version. If you want your yam to controll a 5 pin midi device you need a host box. If the doremi is like the midiplus and I bet it is, then it will likely work for that.

FunMachine.

This isn"t going to meet budgetary considerations. But it"s one hell of a MIDI solutions box.

https://www.lab4music.it/sipario.php?lang=EN

I've been using the (original) Saprio for about 4 years now and it's an awesome amazing Midi setlist solution. I have both the Yamaha P125 and a Yamaha CP4. But when try to connect either P125 or CP4 to the Sapiro via USB, the Saprio does not recognize either keyboard :(. I think think the original Sapiros were not concerned HOST. But, I think the more recent, newer Sapiros now act as HOST. Somebody check me on this, please.

thanks,

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

I've been using the (original) Saprio for about 4 years now and it's an awesome amazing Midi setlist solution. I have both the Yamaha P125 and a Yamaha CP4. But when try to connect either P125 or CP4 to the Sapiro via USB, the Saprio does not recognize either keyboard :(. I think think the original Sapiros were not concerned HOST. But, I think the more recent, newer Sapiros now act as HOST. Somebody check me on this, please.

thanks,

That's weird - ever since I heard about the Sipario I was interested and impressed in its ability to act as USB MIDI Host. P125 is class-compliant so should work (I don't know if the CP4 needs a special driver for PC/Mac). Maybe shoot Lab4Music a mail and ask? Potentially you need a firmware upgrade, I don't know.

Cheers, Mike.

I decided to try out one of these: http://www.doremidi.cn/h-pd-2.html

Works well with my Yamaha P105 and YC61 .... It costs less than half the price of the Kenton unit, and seems to be better made.

The front and rear panels are 2mm aluminium, and the main enclosure is more substantial then the Kenton.

Both units are pretty much the same size. The unit is held together with 8 torx bolts.

I haven't taken it apart yet because the warrant stickers cover the panel and enclosure edges (obviously!)

The power connector is a USB type B - which is much more substantial than the Kenton mini type A (My Kenton power connector is now very 'iffy')

It comes with a type B power cable, but not with a 5V USB power supply..... Still, those are only around a £5 from Ebay...

As with the Kenton, it's just plug and play..... The MIDI I/O data LEDs flash with data present, and the 'USB in' LED is on constantly with data present.

All in all I'm quite pleased. .... And it's nice to have found a way of connecting USB only keyboards to MIDI DIN I/Os at a more reasonable price!

Sadly, the MIDIPLUS is not easy to find here in the UK, and when you add shipping costs from the US, it gets to be more expensive than the Doremidi box...

Does the Doremidi box support a usb hub so that you can connect multiple USB midi devices? The Keton and MIDI PLus do not support usb hubs. I use this https://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/usb-host-midi-router-uhmr-p-8.html?language=en

I see that Kenton now say that their unit can work with a hub.

You may need to install a free firmware update for earlier models if necessary (See here: Link )

The DOREMidi manual doesn't refer to a hub connection at all.

As it's a newer device, it seems possible it will support a hub connection..... Unfortunately, I don't have a hub, so I can't actually confirm that myself.... sorry.