Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whose Music Have You Re-Discovered Lately?

I have a ton of music on my phone, and sometimes I just swipe until the screen stops updating to see what shows up. Some of the music has lost its lustre, but two albums really stood out: Simple Minds' Real Life, and Paul Van Dyk's Global. I see they're still active and doing music...I think I'll check out what they're up to these days.

Have you re-discovered anything that's really grabbed you lately?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other day I heard Happy Jack by The Who on a retail sound system, generic 8" ceiling speakers.

The arrangement struck me, like I'd never really listened to it.

Which is not true, I've always been a fan of the Who and I've listened to Happy Jack many times but this was the first time I really heard it.

So that.

And, after decades of not listening to much at all when I wasn't playing, I went back the The Band by The Band and some early Pretenders. Plus the Cars.

All of it holds up pretty well in my book.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Recently built a playlist in Qobuz of old, Peter Gabriel era Genesis. Queued up the entire discography, let it spin in the background over 3-4 days while at my desk working. Oh yes, many of the besetting sins of prog were in embarrassing evidence, but after placing all the tracks I liked into the playlist (about two tracks per album side on average) I've ended up with a playlist full of truly excellent music (IMHO.) I'd forgotten a bunch of them - and some of the old tracks I remember hearing eons ago on "progressive radio" and liking but never knowing who the band was. I also forgot just how far back the band goes in time.

And it's just very refreshing to hear lots of outright serious playing, complex compositions, multiple things going on at once, and no one-note melodies, by rockers. .

nat

Laura Nyro. She was a teenager when she was writing her biggest hits for for Superstar artists. Anyone who can influence Todd Rundgren, well, that's good enough for me. Her record "Eli and the Thirteenth Confession" just arrive on my doorstep 30 minutes ago. :cool:
:nopity:

Laura Nyro. She was a teenager when she was writing her biggest hits for for Superstar artists. Anyone who can influence Todd Rundgren, well, that's good enough for me. Her record "Eli and the Thirteenth Confession" just arrive on my doorstep 30 minutes ago. :cool:

Laura Nyro - great songwriter singer!

My sister brought Gonna Take a Miracle home and it got a lot of play. She had LaBelle on back up vocals, just magic stuff.

And, Eli's Coming is one of Three Dog Nights best singles, written by Laura Ny\ro.

I'm sure there are many more.

She wrote "Stoney End" when she was 15 years old. Barbara Streisand decided to sing it and liked it so much that it became the title for her (Barbara's) 12th studio album.

That album was certified Platinum.

She wrote "And When I Die" when she was 17 years old. Blood, Sweat, and Tears had the biggest success with that song. Certified Gold. Got to #2 on the charts in the USA. Some band called The Beatles was always at #1. ;)

Still many, many, more.

:nopity:

She wrote "Stoney End" when she was 15 years old. Barbara Streisand decided to sing it and liked it so much that it became the title for her (Barbara's) 12th studio album.

That album was certified Platinum.

She wrote "And When I Die" when she was 17 years old. Blood, Sweat, and Tears had the biggest success with that song. Certified Gold. Got to #2 on the charts in the USA. Some band called The Beatles was always at #1. ;)

Still many, many, more.

Wonderful, thanks. I was a big fan many years ago and somehow she slipped through the cracks. Something fun to catch up on, the point of this thread. Cheers, Kuru

One thing I really appreciate about Laura Nyro's compositions is that they seem to have parachuted in from outer space, meaning that they seem so fresh and original. The lyrics for "Stoney End" are a great example of this. And it's interesting to see a composition like "Wedding Bell Blues" juxtaposed with "Stoney End" on the same album.

One thing I really appreciate about Laura Nyro's compositions is that they seem to have parachuted in from outer space, meaning that they seem so fresh and original. The lyrics for "Stoney End" are a great example of this. And it's interesting to see a composition like "Wedding Bell Blues" juxtaposed with "Stoney End" on the same album.

One of my tests for "music that actually matters" is that if it had never existed, and appeared today, would people think it's fresh and amazing? I think you seem to have a similar outlook.

I've been thinking back to the 1980's when I went full time for a while. For a while I joined a black band from the west side of Louisville. For a young man from rural SE Kentucky this was an amazing, enlightening and educational experience. They introduced me to music that I never got to hear on small town radio. I also learned that dance mix versions of songs could be better than the original release, i.e. Soul to Soul. Anyway, I discovered one of my favorite groups of the time, a gospel crossover group, and still listen to them.

Sounds of Blackness - "Africa to America" and "The Evolution of Gospel"

These are great listens and I never would have known about them if I had not joined that band.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The other day I heard Happy Jack by The Who on a retail sound system, generic 8" ceiling speakers.

The arrangement struck me, like I'd never really listened to it.

Which is not true, I've always been a fan of the Who and I've listened to Happy Jack many times but this was the first time I really heard it.

So that.

And, after decades of not listening to much at all when I wasn't playing, I went back the The Band by The Band and some early Pretenders. Plus the Cars.

All of it holds up pretty well in my book.

Another one here for The Cars

Great band. They had a unique sound

The Cars - The Cars is one of my favorite all time albums. Moving in Stereo is one of my favorite all time songs. I even like Panaroma. :)

That is a great album, one of my favorites too. Moving in Stereo is awesome. I love Just What I Needed, Bye Bye Love and Best Friend's Girl too.

• 2 weeks later...
Re-discovered? I'm currently going through the Wax Trax roster and some "adjacent" groups: My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult, Nitzer Ebb, Die Warzau, Front 242, Ministry. I'm trying to figure out if I was just into the scene in general or whether the music stands up to time. The jury is still out.

"For instance" is not proof.