Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good practice amp/monitor?

I'm going to be moving out of state here in a month, and I already have gigs lined up on the other side. For the past 6 years I've been using a small Gallien-Krueger Bass Amp loaned to me by my band leader, but that stays here. I wouldn't mind having a wedge that points up, I also don't want it to be too big. I used to have a Roland KC-550, and it was glorious, but man was it a beast. Just need something small for rehearsals. Thinking about a QSC K10, but could go smaller/cheaper.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QSC K8.2 or for lighter/cheaper, EV ZXa1 is also very good.

You may need to add a small mixer, not just depending on how many things you're plugging in, but also to boost the gain going into these cabs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I"ll use a Boss Katana 100 combo because I own it. It"s light. It"s loud enough. But it"s not great. Nice for pedal steel though. I own a pair of ZXa1s They need an additional gain stage.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I leave an Ashdown Perfect 10 bass amp where we rehearse. With the three channel EQ I can get a decent sound for piano, EPS and organ.

The second line QSCs are a good value. I just got the CP12 but I think the CP8 would be ideal for rehearsing. It can be angled as a floor monitor.

$399

https://www.guitarcenter.com/QSC/CP8-8-Powered-Speaker.gc

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I've had some great success with my twin Mackie Thump 12As, and the reviews from listeners have been great too -- as is the price.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Here for the gear.

There"s notalotta love here for Behringer, but for $169, this one might work: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/F1220D--behringer-eurolive-f1220d-250w-12-inch-powered-speaker

That's cool, but I don't see a quarter-inch in (what do Canadians call those anyway?). The could be a deal-killer.

OP, how loud would the monitor need to be?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Yeah, the connectivity on that Behringer looks really weird. Honestly, I wouldn't mind having two line inputs and a mic input. Not a deal breaker, but it would be nice. For $169, I could do whatever with it, include just have a TRS->XLR adaptor. (very strange)

I'm very out-of-date on QSCs offerings these days. I LOVED the K10/12 back in the day, didn't realize they had a new generation with the CP. They look quite a bit cheaper, but honestly that wouldn't be bad for a monitor.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

There"s notalotta love here for Behringer, but for $169, this one might work: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/F1220D--behringer-eurolive-f1220d-250w-12-inch-powered-speaker

That's cool, but I don't see a quarter-inch in (what do Canadians call those anyway?). The could be a deal-killer.

I can"t believe Behringer didn"t just put in an XLR/1/4' combo input either. Otherwise, enough watts, wide freq range for keys, wedge design & relatively portable.

Oh yeah, we still call 'em quarter-inch ins. Some things survived metric, thank gawd.

Here for the gear.

Why would this be a deal killer? Just add one of these adapters. adapter

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I can"t believe Behringer didn"t just put in an XLR/1/4' combo input either. Otherwise, enough watts, wide freq range for keys, wedge design & relatively portable.

Oh yeah, we still call 'em quarter-inch ins. Some things survived metric, thank gawd.

One could just use a DI box and call it good. No converter cable needed.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Both completely reasonable and easy, and weird enough there is a TS-XLR sitting next to me right now. It's just the idea that one thing needs an additional thing to use. I am a little (by which I mean massively) obsessed with economy and efficiency in my rig, and for some reason that OCD'd me.

I was curious about power because I am just about to pull the trigger on a tiny Phil Jones two-five all-in-one, which I've been coveting and trigger-happy for for a couple of years. But it's very much only a personal monitor; if there's a full band in a rehearsal space, you'd still need to feed the PA to be heard.

www.joshweinstein.com

Both completely reasonable and easy, and weird enough there is a TS-XLR sitting next to me right now. It's just the idea that one thing needs an additional thing to use. I am a little (by which I mean massively) obsessed with economy and efficiency in my rig, and for some reason that OCD'd me.

I get that, I'm that way too. The less pieces to go wrong the better. I just figured that it's probably more likely that he has a DI box sitting around than a TS-XLR cable.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I was curious about power because I am just about to pull the trigger on a tiny Phil Jones two-five all-in-one, which I've been coveting and trigger-happy for for a couple of years. But it's very much only a personal monitor; if there's a full band in a rehearsal space, you'd still need to feed the PA to be heard.

Is that the Bass Cub?

Here for the gear.

I get that, I'm that way too. The less pieces to go wrong the better. I just figured that it's probably more likely that he has a DI box sitting around than a TS-XLR cable.

Sure. Total deal-killer for me, to be "forced" to bring a DI to a practice situation, unless it was going to have to be part of my set-up anyway. But I completely acknowledge that it might be a big shrug for others.

There's also different kinds of practice situations. I'm picturing the "Let's just make sure we're all clear on chords and form before the gig," since otherwise I would think of using a "real" amp and not a practice amp. For those, I most often just have my keyboard, with cables in the same case, and maybe an amp or maybe not. That's it. In the car is an X stand, a throne, and a cable bag, but none of them hardly ever get used.

For the "Let's play these songs the way they are going to sound live" rehearsal...all bets are off. Plus I like the chance to make sure I have the right set-up, the right way. But those are pretty rare.

Who am I kidding? They are all rare right now!

www.joshweinstein.com

Is that the Bass Cub?

Yessir, or even the Double Four, which is cheaper. I tried one at a rehearsal in the just-before-times and found it ideal as a small-practice monitor or stage monitor-only box. There are lots of gigs you could use it for as live sound too--jazz combos or acoustic settings. And it's t-i-n-y.

The sound was crystal clear and warm without being boxy, and it was incredibly loud for its size. Mono, of course. But I don't think you could use it for a "real" rehearsal with a rock band, except maybe right next to you.

www.joshweinstein.com

I am a little (by which I mean massively) obsessed with economy and efficiency in my rig, and for some reason that OCD'd me.

^ This

I think gear economy is VASTLY underrated, and sometimes even aggressively criticized. "If you don't have every perfect tool for the job every time, you're not 'PRO'", I can't count how many times I've heard things like this. Having to bring an adaptor or DI is just one more piece that can fail, or make troubleshooting more complicated for unrelated problems. I'm all about doing the most with the least amount of equipment. My rig is getting big and complicated, but I try to keep everything as simple as it can possibly be. I also know my own faults. I'm notorious for leaving small pieces of gear at rehearsals or venues, or at home. I carry backups for almost everything in the trunk of my car. If I can cut one piece from my chain, I'll do it!

You might want to look into the TS308, TS310, and 312 by Alto. There is a lot of love out there for these inexpensive but great sounding speakers.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/alto_ts_308.htm

This looks fantastic, good suggestion! Only thing is, it's probably a little heavier than I want for a practice amp. the CP8s at 10lbs seem mighty attractive.

I should back up, as soon as I hit the ground, I'm going to be playing with some folk groups and a klezmer group, nothing seriously loud. I have no idea what's in store for me down the road. I just wrapped up playing for 6-years in one of the loudest rock bands I've ever heard, but who knows what's around the corner. In Alaska, I suspect I'll be playing a lot of low-key roots gigs, so it would be nice to start off with something small, portable, and less likely to accidentally blow people away. I'll be moving to a bigger place, so I can start to assemble different gear for different jobs, instead of one-size-fits all. A CP8 or K8.2 might be great if I start rocking out again, but maybe it would be nice to have something small to start off with.

My first gigs lined up are festivals, so I don't need to worry about providing my own sound from stage.

The Altos sound good. It"s a lot of bang for the buck.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I use an original QSC K8. Unlike it's bigger brethren in the K series it doesn't do wedge, so I use a short speaker stand (something like this Gator product) ...

https://www.gatorframeworks.com/products/mini-speaker-stand-gfwspk0250/

Thank you to whoever recommended this stand! It's been great! It allows you to go from shooting directly into my ear to spraying the room, depending on the need. As you know, there is good connectivity with the K8 so it can accept a mic, be a limited 2 channel mixer, or provide an audio out if you need to be heard in a PA.

The downside? When pushed hard, it can sound harsh.

I have a KC-550 and it's currently what I play my rig though. It's a serious amp and like you said it's truly a beast at around 65 lbs without nearly enough handles or grips. It's absolute hell to transport anywhere and if you barely bump your car with it while trying to maneuver that unwieldy shape, it leaves a dent because of the weight.

I'm strongly considering a Fender Rumble 100. It's 20 lbs, 100 watts, fits anywhere, and is really highly regarded for tone and flexibility.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

The Yamaha DBR10 is pretty good for the money. It's similar to the DXR10, but with less power, lighter (~23 lbs.), and about half the price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DBR10--yamaha-dbr10-700w-10-inch-powered-speaker

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

This is probably a stupid notion (my apologies) but I've learned over the years the different players want different things out of a rehearsal.

These days, I'm just there to make sure the band knows their parts and we work out any items we need to all be together in the room for. All my regular peeps are responsible and professional enough to practice their sh*t on their own time - rehearsal isn't for practice, it's for the band to work out the things you can't by yourself.

So for those kinds of rehearsals, I just need something that I can hear, that doesn't sound awful, and is light enough to schlep in and out of the rehearsal. If we're rehearsing somewhere without monitoring / PA, they then gotta hear me too. But it's never stage volume or even close. I bring one of my 2 Yamaha DXR8s, with one shorty pole, and point it in the appropriate direction depending on who needs to hear it. I keep it at just loud enough so the drummer can hear me, and not any louder.

Other folks I've played with want something else from rehearsal. They want it to sound just like the stage, at the same volume as the stage, and there's emotional / visceral connection to that. They don't enjoy rehearsal without that experience. Ok, cool - that ain't me anymore, but you do you. For that usage, of course, you're looking for something a little different than what I would choose.

so I guess that's really the question - what do you want from rehearsal, and then what options would suit that set of needs?

Timwat: I'm pretty much right with you. I don't want rehearsal to be stage volume, because that would be EXCRUCIATING in a small practice space. But I also gotta mix to the drummer (if the band has one). As long as I can hear myself and the others can too, I'm gold. But I pray for rehearsals that are 1/2 the volume of a stage show!

Interesting tidbit, just before COVID, one of my bands lost our drummer, but we had just finished recording them for our album. We didn't bother getting a new one, especially since there are no live gigs. We started doing livestream gigs and rehearsals to our album drum mix, and it's been FANTASTIC! Our last drummer wasn't even a heavy hitter, but it's been so nice to sit around and play at living room listening level. Our bass player just recently had a baby, and we can rock out without even waking the kid!

To answer your question, I seem to have been recruited by a few roots music groups, specifically a Klezmer group, and a folk singer-songwriter that I've played with for years. Maybe a cocktail kit for the singer-songwriter group, but nothing heavy.

BTW: this whole post may be moot for a bit. My friend, the singer-songwriter, who's a bass player absolutely INSISTS on lending me one of his bass amps. I kinda want my own kit, but maybe this won't be too bad while I'm getting my feet on the ground in a new city. I have some money saved, and plan on moving to a bigger house where I can have a legitimate music room (which I haven't ever had before, living in tiny urban apartments), so I figured I'd get myself something good. But borrowing for a few months might be helpful while I'm getting things sorted. Who knows, maybe I'll build myself a QSC PA, and then take one of the mains to rehearsal, like you do with your DXR8.

BTW: this whole post may be moot for a bit. My friend, the singer-songwriter, who's a bass player absolutely INSISTS on lending me one of his bass amps.

My advice was gonna be to find any way possible to delay your purchasing decision until you know what your needs are.

At my age I don't want to carry more than I have to. I have 2 of the little 50W Vox keyboard amps, an SS3, and a 12" Alto Kick. This gives me a range of options. The SS3+Alto combination is loud enough for any practice room, and it allows me to carry two 30 lb units which I personally find easier than carrying one big heavy one. Sometimes the SS3 alone is enough. For quiet practices (eg drummer on brushes), one Vox amp will do. The 2 Vox amps together is still less than 20 lbs and can handle some louder band situations.

Sure it would be nice to be "one and done" for amplification. But on the time/money/back pain continuum, this is what works for me.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Here's what I do: we practice at our bass players house; I leave a keyboard stand there, the only thing I bring is one keyboard and pedals; no amplification. I plug into the vocal board with the vocals. we turn the volume DOWN on other instruments; we can actually talk when we play. works out great. no hauling nor investing in anything. When we practice at my house I have mostly everything; PA, multiple keyboards, drums, guitar amps, bass rig, the only thing people have to bring are their instruments. Makes things quicker to setup and less hauling by everybody. Just sayin... We're talking about practice ....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Here's what I do: we practice at our bass players house; I leave a keyboard stand there, the only thing I bring is one keyboard and pedals; no amplification. I plug into the vocal board with the vocals. we turn the volume DOWN on other instruments; we can actually talk when we play. works out great. no hauling nor investing in anything. When we practice at my house I have mostly everything; PA, multiple keyboards, drums, guitar amps, bass rig, the only thing people have to bring are their instruments. Makes things quicker to setup and less hauling by everybody. Just sayin... We're talking about practice ....

The most productive practices my band has had were the ones where the drummer couldn't make it, we almost cancelled but decided to do acoustic practices (he knew all the new songs on the list). It was great to be able to talk while we were playing and nobody had to yell for everyone to stop because we missed a change in the bridge. After that, even with the drummer, we started shooting for as low a volume as possible. Talking mainly about learning songs, and ones that everyone has heard before so there really wasn't a real need to go at "gig volume". That's what the fourth set is for when everyone has left the bar!

Ironically, and unfortunately, at loud practices I hear myself worse than at gigs, because we usually don't set up the main mixer with auxes (if we do, I'll use in-ears). Ideally our drummer would get an electric kit but he doesn't like them and doesn't have money anyway!

BTW: this whole post may be moot for a bit. My friend, the singer-songwriter, who's a bass player absolutely INSISTS on lending me one of his bass amps. I kinda want my own kit, but maybe this won't be too bad while I'm getting my feet on the ground in a new city. I have some money saved, and plan on moving to a bigger house where I can have a legitimate music room (which I haven't ever had before, living in tiny urban apartments), so I figured I'd get myself something good. But borrowing for a few months might be helpful while I'm getting things sorted. Who knows, maybe I'll build myself a QSC PA, and then take one of the mains to rehearsal, like you do with your DXR8.

Sounds like a great plan. It's helpful to be able to use a PA speaker. Reduces the number of items you have to store.

I distinctly prefer lower levels at rehearsal. Generally, the more professional the player, the lower the rehearsal levels but I once had the pleasurable experience of playing in a skilled zappa/dead tribute for which I needed ear plugs at rehearsal. The drummer had a house in the middle of nowhere and he would hit hard, a Haake/Donati acolyte with the required double kick pedals. They did a crazy fast version of Jaco's Donna Lee with everybody in unison in the head. The bassist would lead with some fancy footwork, the guitar player would go cray and jump around behind him. So I had to move too. I think the idea was to rehearse the choreography and group energy of the actual show. We were expected to have our music down already. The rehearsal was a way of practicing the stage act which was a "jazz for rockers" concept. It was pretty nuts!

Sounds like you've done your share of the loud stuff and are looking forward to something different. :thu: