Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you performing with a face mask?

My band is booked May-September at an outdoor amusement park, and we are required to wear facemasks even when singing. The sax player may slip his mask down when playing but has to put it on when not playing his horn. The stage is very large, about six feet above the open air dance floor. These rules seems a bit a bit over the top, but I understand, we have to be a good example to the guests, and I do believe mask wearing is an important element in slowing down COVID.

On the other hand I am also playing at a church on Sunday mornings, and absolutely nobody is wearing a mask. This is indoors. I am the only one in the whole church with a mask. I am vaccinated, but it does concern me. The things I do to keep on working!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My next big public music event isn't until September, and I'll STILL be wearing a mask, even though I'm already 2shots+2weeks and all my family will be too by the end of this month. But that's just me, and I should note that I don't have to sing on stage.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Required to wear masks at an outdoor amusement park? Unless you are jammed right up against people, that simply doesn't make any sense, and even if that were the case, outdoor air currents make a massive difference. It's security theater (much like the TSA is for airline safety).

I'm about as anti-anti-mask as you get but I think a better example would be set by adhering to science and logic over theater. We are supposed to wear masks because they work, and should be worn in a way where they make a difference. And I get it isn't you making these rules.

I see people walking all alone on outdoor sidewalks without another human in sight for a mile and wearing a mask...wtf...that's as extreme as the anti-maskers strutting into stores refusing to wear one.

Just speculating, but maybe the purpose of a rule like that is because the park wants to set a visible example. It's an amusement park, so people are necessarily getting close to each other waiting in line and on the rides themselves. If they see people on stage wearing masks, it may remind them to do so themselves. You're in a very public position so you're being asked (and paid) to set an example and so it goes beyond strict compliance with rules or even common sense. I don't think sort of thing is unusual at this point in time.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

+1 Adan.

Respectfully, it seems like we are dealing with both science and social engineering at this point in time.

Difficult to know the full reasoning for the mandate montunoman is working under without the rule makers spelling out their logic, but my guess would be similar to Adan's speculation.

Tim

It's security theater (much like the TSA is for airline safety).

I'm about as anti-anti-mask as you get but I think a better example would be set by adhering to science and logic over theater. We are supposed to wear masks because they work, and should be worn in a way where they make a difference. And I get it isn't you making these rules.

I see people walking all alone on outdoor sidewalks without another human in sight for a mile and wearing a mask...wtf...that's as extreme as the anti-maskers strutting into stores refusing to wear one.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm taking COVID very seriously, my parents are high risk, I follow the numbers day-by-day, and the science of the disease and the vaccine. I consider myself, first-and-foremost "Pro Science", and the science of outdoor mask wearing is just not there. I'm very critical of PERFORMATIVE activism, of any style, and that's what this is. At best, it's a nuisance, at worst it just feeds the fires of anti-mask propaganda and gives them legitimate cause to say "these mask wearers are being ridiculous". Masks are incredibly effective indoors, and we should be promoting them in a very logical way, so as to get people thinking about the best strategies. But outdoors, they do almost nothing. It's just there to make a statement. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Plus, if you wanna get really technical, making the Sax player take his mask on and off repeatedly does more harm than good. Virologists say that touching your mask repeatedly is far worse than leaving it in one state for a period of time. If they REALLY cared about cutting transmission, he should just keep it off the entire set.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Plus, if you wanna get really technical, making the Sax player take his mask on and off repeatedly does more harm than good.

Right. Being a proponent of KB players, I think the sax player should keep his mask on while playing. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah it does sound more like a "set an example" sort of thing rather than anything that makes sense. And when you're on the clock, you just do what your employer tells you to do. Think of it as a kind of dress code for the face.

Of all the Covid restrictions I'm dealing with, nothing is more onerous than the 11 o'clock close. It's taking the normal ebb and flow of the night, and compressing it into such a tight timespace that it's doing the exact opposite of making things safer. In reality, it's making things a lot more dangerous.

We're normally peaking at 11pm. So now here's everybody crammed up in the bar area trying to get one last drink in, then shortly after that they cram up at the bar again to pay their tabs. Then on the way out they pack the restrooms.

It's just crazy.

Just speculating, but maybe the purpose of a rule like that is because the park wants to set a visible example. It's an amusement park, so people are necessarily getting close to each other waiting in line and on the rides themselves. If they see people on stage wearing masks, it may remind them to do so themselves. You're in a very public position so you're being asked (and paid) to set an example and so it goes beyond strict compliance with rules or even common sense. I don't think sort of thing is unusual at this point in time.

Yes, I am pretty sure this is the case and I understand and support the use of the mask in this instance even though we (the band) really don't need to wear one..... The park is getting crowed, long lines to get on rides. Even though it outdoors, it makes seems logical to keep a mask on.

But my indoor church gig where literally nobody is wearing a mask expect me is concerning. Maybe they think Jesus will protect us from COVD?

On a big outdoor stage I personally would probably still wear a mask, but think it's crazy to tell singers and horn players too. Indoors is another thing especially a church were you know people are going to ignore social distancing. If I was to play in that situation I might think twice about the gig and definately where a mask if I did it. The vaccine protects the person, but they are still capable of spreading the virus if it's in the ai, that's what people don't understand.

Yeah it does sound more like a "set an example" sort of thing rather than anything that makes sense. And when you're on the clock, you just do what your employer tells you to do. Think of it as a kind of dress code for the face.

Of all the Covid restrictions I'm dealing with, nothing is more onerous than the 11 o'clock close. It's taking the normal ebb and flow of the night, and compressing it into such a tight timespace that it's doing the exact opposite of making things safer. In reality, it's making things a lot more dangerous.

We're normally peaking at 11pm. So now here's everybody crammed up in the bar area trying to get one last drink in, then shortly after that they cram up at the bar again to pay their tabs. Then on the way out they pack the restrooms.

It's just crazy.

I've been thinking that for the past year. We should have extended hours instead of condensing them (though in the case of bars, I'd just as soon not extend them! The last set is usually a dead zone.) There was an over-focus on sanitizing surfaces vs keeping people away from each other with an airborne disease, but you learn as you go I guess.

Plus, if you wanna get really technical, making the Sax player take his mask on and off repeatedly does more harm than good.

Right. Being a proponent of KB players, I think the sax player should keep his mask on while playing. :laugh::cool:

LOL.

I'm not wearing a mask when I play, period. If I have to wear a mask I'll stay home. I don't need the money and I don't play for the money, I play for the enjoyment. Wearing a mask ruins the enjoyment so if that's the rule then I would just stay home. I have my vaccine, don't have covid and if I get it somehow I'm guaranteed not to die accordingly to the vaccine statistics. So facemask off or I don't play.

P.S. I have an outdoor gig this Sunday so I guess I'll see what the rules are then. I played an indoor show at a theater to 300 people about 6 weeks ago, no mask required while playing. Audience had them.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

But my indoor church gig where literally nobody is wearing a mask expect me is concerning. Maybe they think Jesus will protect us from COVD?

It's certainly an interesting topic, but that's verboten territory for discussion.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Regarding the amusement park, I would guess that it is 4% health and safety, and 96% wanting to project the image and reassurance of health and safety to the slowly returning guests. The 4% may actually be too high. And I completely agree that anyone's individual opinion about masks isn't relevant to the gig; that's the requirement, so you do it.

Regarding the church...I will offer a self-betraying "no comment."

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I've only done a few gigs, but can give my experience.

I did some rooftop concerts back at the beginning of the thing. We were outside and well-spaced--maybe 10 feet apart. We were masked until we played, and also equally paranoid about transmission. I can't remember if we kept masks on to play, but I don't think so (but again, were very far apart).

I threw a "COVID-safe" music festival back in November, and required that everyone be masked AND distanced, with the sole exception of singers, who could sing without masks on, but still had to be distanced. Since part of the goal was to show that musicians could still perform in safe ways, we foregrounded and fetishized safety. This was outdoors.

I did two livestreams from inside empty bars. In *theory* we were all masked except the singer, but in fact the drummer kept letting his neck gaiter fall off. At any rate, I set up far and wide and kept my KN95 on the whole time.

I did an outdoor hit after my second shot, but before the two weeks were up. The only other musician on that half of the "stage" (really a parking lot) was fully vaxxed, and we were far from humans and each other. I performed without a mask but had one on for set-up and tear-down. That felt pretty good to do, I'm not going to lie.

I did a radio show a couple of weeks ago where the host and I were both fully vaxxed. Masks were required for the lobby and when the engineer was in the room, otherwise we did the whole thing maskless. That was good.

And finally, I played a "real" gig a week or two ago--still outside, but that's where the stage is at that venue. Meaning, nothing would have been different had there not been COVID. All band members are fully vaxxed. We rehearsed outdoors and wore masks for set-up/tear-down and any time the soundguy was on stage; other than that it was a completely maskless gig, with lots of spacing, and all together felt like the first "normal" gig I'd played since a year ago March.

I also turned down a lot of work that either ignored or outright flouted mask-wearing regulations. I would do the same now, just as, if a gig required mask-use, I'd do it without a question.

www.joshweinstein.com

Being a proponent of KB players, I think the sax player should keep his mask on while playing. :laugh::cool:

Are you secretly hip to a good sax patch for keys? :laugh:;)

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

My upcoming gigs are outdoors. I'm fully vaccinated. They'll be space between me and my bandmates. So I don't plan on wearing a mask.

I got caught off guard last year when someone sat in with the band and was singing almost right on top of me; fortunately, I already had my mask on. I'll have my mask handy and would certainly wear it if the venue asked me to or if I felt vulnerable for whatever reason. I'm on the fence on taking indoor gigs. I passed on them last year but this year I'm not sure what I'll do. I think it will become clearer as we progress through the nice weather season here on Long Island. It will also depend on the gig: I would have a hard time passing up a really good gig if it came up.

Nope and hell no!!!

I do not and have not worn a mask on stage, indoors or out, while playing a show. That goes for all in my band. No venue has asked us to wear masks while performing.

We are respectful of the indoor establishments that require patrons to wear their masks when not seated. So we do the same during load in. Other than that...no way.

All of us are vaccinated, and none of has or had COVID. We've all been tested regularly.

An outdoors festival type show on a big stage. It effing ridiculous at this time to require a band to wear masks while performing. I guarantee this is all about that amusement park wanting say "hey look at us, we're safe...whatever safe means.

We have not turned down any gigs, and things are seriously ramping up...for quite a while now.

Those that want to stay home is also perfectly okay. That's your decision.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Different locations in various countries, states, regions, etc. are going to have different protocols in place based on what's going on. Whatever those guidelines are, just follow them in consideration of the people you are playing with and, depending on venue, how close the audience gets to you.

That said, only you can determine what you are comfortable with because everyone's circumstances are different. If you or someone you live with is a high risk for hospitalization should you bring home the novel virus, then, yeah... if you're doing indoor gigs, I would mask up, and wash my hands proper too. At this stage, literally tens of millions of people have been vaccinated. But nobody knows who has and who hasn't but for the honor system. And that's where we are at. We live our lives and play our gigs and see how it goes.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

At my college? Yes, always, every convocation performance. Even for woodwind players most of the time.

If I"m going to be playing outside, which has great airflow, then no (provided I don"t have tons of people up next to me lol). Indoor, I haven"t fully decided yet - I"ll have a week-long gig in summer with full distancing but it will be indoors and I"m not really sure yet. My general rule has been that if I"m not singing I don"t have an excuse not to wear one. Of course, that"s pretty much what our state guidelines have said anyways for months, so I've stuck with that as it's pretty reasonable all things considered. If someone else in the band would like me to, I will as well because I respect that.

That said the summer gig will be in a non-air conditioned metal pole building (gym) with 95-98 degree weather expected, so that might be "fun".

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

On the other hand I am also playing at a church on Sunday mornings, and absolutely nobody is wearing a mask. This is indoors. I am the only one in the whole church with a mask. I am vaccinated, but it does concern me. The things I do to keep on working!

I am fully vaccinated, albeit one week away from full efficacy, but I will wear a mask until we shouldn't wear masks anymore.

I also play music in church and have only come in as a substitute 4 times during the Pandemic, and not only is EVERYONE in the church required to wear masks, but so are the singers and musicians.

In a couple weeks I will return to playing music at church regularly, and I sing as well as play piano, so I've actually bought a "singer's mask" (designed with additional space in front of mouth). There's a few of these out on the market, but I picked the one that makes me look less duck-like.

In a couple weeks I will return to playing music at church regularly, and I sing as well as play piano, so I've actually bought a "singer's mask" (designed with additional space in front of mouth). There's a few of these out on the market, but I picked the one that makes me look less duck-like.

I'm going to have to try one of those singers masks. The gyms here have reopened, but require masks at all times, so doing cardio with a mask can get tough because the masks are so close to my face. I use the blue disposable masks working out since they are thinner that helps but that singers mask could be perfect little pocket of air. I used to think is was odd seeing guys in the gym working out with real military gas masks on. At first it was guys actually in the military, but later it became a trend supposedly to build lung strength. Now everyone has a mask on.

I'm going to have to try one of those singers masks. The gyms here have reopened, but require masks at all times, so doing cardio with a mask can get tough because the masks are so close to my face. I use the blue disposable masks working out since they are thinner that helps but that singers mask could be perfect little pocket of air. I used to think is was odd seeing guys in the gym working out with real military gas masks on. At first it was guys actually in the military, but later it became a trend supposedly to build lung strength. Now everyone has a mask on.

I noticed the trainers in my gym wear (useless) face shields instead of masks, so I asked the owner if I could wear a face shield on the cardio machines. I had intended to explain that I was fully vaxxed, but before I even got the sentence out he said, "Yeah, sure, no problem at all." So the good news is, I can breathe on the cardio machines now. The bad news is IT'S DEFINITELY A PROBLEM. :wacko:

www.joshweinstein.com

I'm still not going into gyms these days. Heavy panting in an enclosed space is too high risk for me - and as mentioned above, masks restrict cardio activity.

So I'm sticking to running outdoors.

And the gig diary is no longer empty! I have an outdoor festival in July, which is a great way to return to live music.

Cheers, Mike.

I'm not playing keys in clubs anymore, but when working I don't wear a mask at my station because I'm on the mic a lot and am not required to. Walking around the club - yeah because we're all supposed to.

This Thurs, Fri, and Sat I'm in an outdoor venue, and because I'm fully vaccinated I can legally go maskless the entire time - and I'm absolutely planning on it! :laugh:

I'm on the trails in the Gorge two and three times a week. Mask use has really declined - to where you practically never see them anymore. I wear my "Vaccinated AF" T-shirt so everyone knows I'm legally good. I know there's a lot who aren't.

That shirt on an old man like myself gets a lot of giggles and comments from younger hikers :D

.....I see people walking all alone on outdoor sidewalks without another human in sight for a mile and wearing a mask...wtf...that's as extreme as the anti-maskers strutting into stores refusing to wear one.

When my wife and I go for a walk outdoors, with no one else anywhere near us, she wears a mask because otherwise her allergies get to her. So some people might be wearing a mask for reasons unrelated to COVID.