Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Cool music

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's groovy, semi hot, rockin' music. I love that tune, but I would not label it cool (e.g. chill) style music. It makes me want to dance. They used it recently in Queens Gambit when Beth gets loaded and dances around in her underwear. Hot... until she barfs.

||: E- A :|| Bsus

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I am in constant awe of that track.

The song structure is incredibly good. A hook, one of the most catchy yet universal vamps in the history of pop, a verse that's a hook, a run, a chorus that's a lift, a guitar solo that is actually another hook, but you don't realise it until they repeat the exact same guitar solo, and the whole thing just scorching.

I mean, just wow

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Agreed, pop genius, embracing simplicity, balance, and the always elusive undiscovered "hook."

Wurlitzer or rhodes? I think the latter, but I'm not sure. Too bad the keys player couldn't make the lip sync gig, he's a key part of the sound.

Additional thoughts:

Always interesting to see a stage full of women dancing in that hippy style. It's a dance style that belongs to the ages, no one does those moves anymore.

I'd still rather listen to the Meters!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Wurlitzer or rhodes? I think the latter, but I'm not sure. Too bad the keys player couldn't make the lip sync gig, he's a key part of the sound.

Hohner Electra, I believe.

Yes, I thought it must be something else, didn't quite sound rhodes or wurly. Sounds great though.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The Hohner Piano on "Venus" is credited to Cees Schrama. Singer Mariska Veres could play Piano but only sang with the band.

"Venus" was inspired by "The Banjo Song" by The Big 3 with Mama Cass Elliot. The opening suspended guitar chord was taken from The Who's "Pinball Wizard" and other elements of the song are said to have been inspired by The Beatles' "Get Back".

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I had heard this song countless times. Even though I liked it I managed to miss all opportunities to observe the band performing it. Until I read this thread I would have sworn this was sung by a male vocalist, not that there is anything about the vocals to confuse like say Niel Sedaka's voice. If someone had asked me whether the vocalist was male or female while the song was playing I am sure I would have said female. I just have never focused on it enough to consciously think about it. I suspect it may have something to do with it being similar (in my mind at least) to several pop songs of the era, each of which I believe were sung by men.

Ya gotta love "live" performances where the guitar and bass aren't even plugged in...

That said, I haven't heard that song in years. Loved it. It was on the juke box at the pool I went to and we'd all sing along when someone put in a dime.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

The song has a Doors vibe... never had that impression before and just hit me
The Doors had Light my Fire, so there you go! It's definitely from the same era. She sounds like Grace Slick at certain moments. I dig the vocal, rich, dark, husky

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

My current band has been doing Venus for a while with awesome results. We have a female vocalist that nails the range, inflection etc. My keys are mostly compressed/chorused wurli and a bit of Vox organ. The real fun is at the end where I use a massively layered Vox-heavy organ sound to do a jamming outro with a big finale. Smokin' hot. Easily one of our top three songs.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The Hohner Piano on "Venus" is credited to Cees Schrama. Singer Mariska Veres could play Piano but only sang with the band.

"Venus" was inspired by "The Banjo Song" by The Big 3 with Mama Cass Elliot. The opening suspended guitar chord was taken from The Who's "Pinball Wizard" and other elements of the song are said to have been inspired by The Beatles' "Get Back".

That's just crazy!!! It's practically a one on one copy - I had no idea.

I hadn't heard the original in ages, so just played it. The big surprise is how in the background the Hohner EP is. It would prominently stick out on AM radio at the time - just the right frequency range for that technology.

For better or worse, if I'm doing an oldies night as a DJ I use the Bananarama version - simply because it's the one most people remember. The original is now over 50 years old, and they had a big hit with the song too. The EP part we all love is replaced by a more generic muted polysynth riff - so I can understand why you guys would all rather cover the original.

This revived it

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."