Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iOS app for using multiple sounds on iPhone

I"m hoping to have a dedicated iPhone just for cheap and easy gigs. I have VB3m, pure piano and will get a decent wurly/Rhodes.

Is there as yet , an app that holds them all and possibly able to add FX like amp sim, and allows for easy , seamless patch change on the fly?

Still use mainstage for the high profile gigs , also have gig performer on a mini pc but would love the simplicity of iPhone+battery powered controller.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good question. I think Audiobus 3 and AUM are the ones that work on the iPhone. Camelot Pro is iPad only. I use Sequencism, which is free, but that is iPad only. Does your iPhone have headphone out? If not what interface or keyboard (Yamaha?) are you planning on using for Audio/Midi?

iMidiPatchbay works on iPhone, it definitely lets you run multiple iOS MIDI apps, I'm not sure whether it will do everything listed in the OP

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

iMidiPatchbay works on iPhone, it definitely lets you run multiple iOS MIDI apps, I'm not sure whether it will do everything listed in the OP

That will do basic Midi Routing and patch changes but doesn't support FX or act as a container like AUM. Useful if you are not using a controller keyboard. I'm not sure there is much to be gained in a live setting from using the apps in AUv3 mode if they already have decent effects. Audiobus 3 seems to be more popular for making your own tracks. AUM on the other hand does have some midi processing options that might be useful - that depends on your controller as you might be able to do splits etc from there. That would be my preferred option - control patch changes, splits etc from the controller and send that to the apps. Minimises what the iPhone is processing.

[EDIT] I have just tested iMidiPatchbay with VB3m and it doesn't work because VB3m is not appearing as an available device. Some apps like MidiFlow can get around this by creating Virtual ports. There are other work arounds too but I think I'll contact Guido and see if he can add this to the next update.

Look into AUM. It's a great solution for many, many iOS users, myself included.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I'm in same boat wanting to be able to mix a few sounds on my old Iphone 6s. I already have VB3m and Ravenscroft running flawlessly and, like you, am looking for decent cheap Rhodes / Wurlies.

In addition to basic sound mixing on the Iphone, I also want to be able to convert between mono / stereo and do basic zoning/ splitting with volume control (e.g. organ pad on left hand and AP on right). After reviewing some YouTube videos it looks like AUM can do these things so this is probably what I'm going with.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I"m using AUM and MidiFlow on my iPhone 12 Pro with Pure Piano, VB3m, and Korg Module. It all works quite well.

Since the controller I"m using (Korg MicroKey Air 61) has very few controls (i.e., just Mod Wheel, Pitch Bend Wheel, and Octave Up/Down) I had to get creative with patch selection. I don"t want to see or look at the iPhone screen when I"m playing so in order to select patches I use Octave Up and then the top octave keys to select patches. The top octave keys are silenced when the keyboard is shifted to the higher octave. The keyboard in effect becomes a 49-key keyboard when in this patch select state and can easily be switched back down an octave (or two) to make all 61-keys playable. The Mod Wheel is used for organ volume, the iPhone side volume buttons are used for overall volume, and Pitch Bend Wheel up is used to toggle the Leslie speed. A sustain pedal can be plugged into the keyboard which makes the rig more playable. Also, I"ve used an iRig BlueBoard to connect an expression pedal and volume pedal wirelessly to the iPhone.

All in all, I"m pleased with the various version of this rig. I"ll add more patches over time as needed but had to have the bread and butter sounds in place first or I"m nowhere. I run three instance of Korg Module (Scarbee Rhodes, Wurly, and Rhodes Auto Wha) and five instances of VB3m (for a few of my favorite registrations). All patches (i.e., instances) are key selectable.

Camelot is just for controlling your VST rig ala MainStage if I'm not mistaken. I'm curious with the new iPad Pro with the M1 chip if that will allow Apple to put Logic/MainStage out on the iPad or iPhone (when/if it eventually gets the M14).

Even if they can't currently do MainStage on an iPhone, it would seem to me that the technology should be able to handle a MainStage variation that handled synth and keyboard apps on the phone.

I've got a M-Audio KeyStation 49 and a MiniLab that would/could work really well as a controller for that.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Camelot does everything AUM does and much more! You can link and read charts, setup markers in backing tracks extensive MIDI filtering and assignment, a much easier hierarchy of nomenclature, extensive Remote MIDI mapping and control, far easier selection of sets and songs and setlists...you really need to check it out!

But, no iPhone version - as AUM is so close to Camelot in operation, and it does have an iPhone version, in the case of the OP I agree with comments above AUM is an excellent app, totally fit for purpose.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Another AUM enthusiast here.

I've tried Camelot through every update, but just can't get with the interface. AUM, like MainStage, has a "channel strip" approach and it just makes more sense to me. The MIDI capabilites of AUM are massive, and there are a few very good plug-in fx available.

Here for the gear.

I tested running multiple apps on my ipad, but in a much more primitive fashion and lacking most of the functionality desired :D

I simply kept them all running and set to respond to different midi channels. Then on my MODX I had different zones transmitting on channels (or not at all for internal sounds). One thing I didn't try was seeing whether the IOS sound (which comes into the MODX) could use the MODX effects. Happily I did notice that transposing (we tune down one 1/2 step) affected the IOS apps just like the internal sounds, so it apparently just changes the transmitted midi values.

Now as it turns out I'm only using one app at gigs--B-3X--and it has good fx that I'd need. If I was using the Ipad in more of a central role, it would be nice to have one global set of fx that could be adjusted per-show....I tend to reduce or get rid of reverb at some venues for example if they are very "live"

I don't need more than one or maybe two presets since I've mapped organ settings important to me to keyboard knobs and sliders, but again if I was using many patches I'd definitely want to be able to have it switch, rather than digging into the ipad before every song.

Thanks for the amazing tips and real world advice. Have bought AUM, and will get it all set up hopefully to my liking.

Any thoughts on a good amp sim for iOS that"s not a resource hog?

Been messing with this lately too. Read about & watched many videos on Keystage & Camelot Pro and decided to stick with AUM for now. Only problem I've had so far is ForScore freezes once in awhile with other stuff going on. .