Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Cars; discrepancy between prefered and actual

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A great friend gave me a 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale after my 96 Toyota Camry was totaled.

He teaches auto mechanics at our technical college, bought the car for $100 and turned it into a lesson car. Taught his students how to rebuild and engine, transmission, redo the suspension and the brakes.

It is not pretty but it does run and drive well.

The ugly can be an advantage sometimes, people with nice cars stay clear of it!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I drive a Dodge Minivan. It's my 4th one (the first was actually a Plymouth).

Why? I don't have children (no kids, no pool, no pets, no debts, no regrets).

It's what I need to schlep around a PA set, saxophone, wind synth, 2 guitars, keyboard synth and a ton of cables, pedals, and connectors.

Gigging is what I do.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Everything in our garage (as well as the garage and the house it's attached too) is paid off and as we're headed for a somewhat fixed income soon we'll be hanging on to the vehicles we have; my 2018 RAM 1500, wife's 2017 Subaru Crosstrek and my 2017 HD FLHTK.

My preferred car would be a Gordon Murray Automotive T.50 Nikki Lauda. Former Formula 1 engineer, who designed the McLaren super car, designs the ultimate driver-centric sports car. Bespoke Cosworth non-aspirated V12 powered, active aerodynamics, every millimeter designed with intent and performance ala a Formula 1 car:

1000054.jpg

But I'm not a 1%er, I don't live in Monaco. Instead I have a 2014 Subaru BRZ.

Ultra low center of gravity with a boxer engine, perfect weight distribution tested by Formula 1 drivers, rear wheel drive, Torsion differential, ultra smooth manual gearbox, lots of well thought out engineering details. Gets 30 mpg, and handling is routinely compared to the best handlig trans-$100,000 cars. Mine cost $12,000...

YwnK8rr.jpg

The thing about my car is that for the hour I'm in it.... was, in it everyday before COVID19, it made getting to and from work a pleasant experience. The nimbleness in traffic makes me feel completely unsafe when driving other sluggish-reacting cars. Paid cash after saving for a long time. There is only one other purchase I've made that I felt so sure about and was as easy to decide/make, and I fully expect to get another one - I can't imagine a more suitable car. It would be like getting a pair of ATC monitors for the cost of some JBL 305s. Easy, cost effective and satisfying. The most cost effective and fun sports car of all time.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

In the midst of so many mega-cars, I fondly recall my Dodge Dart station wagon with the slant six engine. It was like a tractor. You could put butter in the crankcase and it would still go. I drove a friend's Corvette from city A to city B as the transporter. The first time I hit the gas too heedlessly, I had to downshift and wait for my internal organs to snap back into place. Pretty heady stuff, but the Dodge even went through semi-high water like a duck a couple of times, when everything else stalled out. I wouldn't mind having it back, because the insurance for it was the price of a six-pack. It wasn't stylish, but at least I wasn't on foot.

Legend has it that Willie Nelson once stopped his limo to pick up Kinky Freidman, saying "Get in, Kink, walkin's bad for your image." :duck:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

In the midst of so many mega-cars, I fondly recall my Dodge Dart station wagon with the slant six engine. It was like a tractor. You could put butter in the crankcase and it would still go. I drove a friend's Corvette from city A to city B as the transporter. The first time I hit the gas too heedlessly, I had to downshift and wait for my internal organs to snap back into place. Pretty heady stuff, but the Dodge even went through semi-high water like a duck a couple of times, when everything else stalled out. I wouldn't mind having it back, because the insurance for it was the price of a six-pack. It wasn't stylish, but at least I wasn't on foot.

Legend has it that Willie Nelson once stopped his limo to pick up Kinky Freidman, saying "Get in, Kink, walkin's bad for your image." :duck:

I had a 63 Plymouth Valiant many years ago with a slant six. I called it the "Catfish Car" because it was too dumb to die. I paid $100 for it, got third gear to work by substituting half a roll of black electrical tape for a bushing in the shift linkage and drove it for 2 years. Then I sold it for $225. It always started, always ran and other drivers feared it for it's awesome ugliness. That was the best I ever did with a car until the one before the Oldsmobile - I bought a 96 Toyota Camry for $1,000 - it ran and drove well, was not pretty. Somebody ran their Datsun pickup truck into the right front fender and their insurance pronounced it totaled. They offered me $2,200 for it. I got a year's worth of driving and a chunk of money out of that one. I wish I could do that with every car!!!!! I admire good looking cars but I like owning ugly ones, it really makes life easier in the long run.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

In the midst of so many mega-cars, I fondly recall my Dodge Dart

Learned to drive in a '72 Dodge Dart coupe with a 318, fun car to have when driving a paper route. It was in mint condition, literally a little old lady owned it that ever drove it. Torque was often confused for power back then....

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

The A3 is 1.6l, 100HP at 4750 rpm, but weighs only a little over 1000kG, and it has a overall tuning that makes well controlled and interesting.

The etron GT has over 500 or 600 HP, solid enough range and drives like an Audi, which if money was no issue would be completely the decisive factor, apart from other objective data, including looks! I don't think any other electric of now really drives like a proper car.

T