Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

e-Instruments - Pure Piano

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just seen a new piano app released for iOS called Pure Piano :-

https://e-instruments.com/instruments/pianos/pure-piano/

Look's like a potential rival to the Ravenscroft 275?

Sounds good (try cutting through the over-produced audio demos to hear the actual piano) but I hear it more like a potential rival to the potential Pianoteq for iOS.

Here for the gear.

Just took a look 'n" listen to e-instruments" library. There are some really good sounding instruments there! Might buy the electric bundle as I do very much like what I"ve heard of the Rhodes, Stage and Wurlitzer. I wonder now if Pure Piano represents a new foray into iOS for that company...

Here for the gear.

I've just seen a new piano app released for iOS called Pure Piano :-

https://e-instruments.com/instruments/pianos/pure-piano/

Look's like a potential rival to the Ravenscroft 275?

Sounds good (try cutting through the over-produced audio demos to hear the actual piano) but I hear it more like a potential rival to the potential Pianoteq for iOS.

Pianoteq for iOS? Is this wild speculation or is there something behind that statement?

Nope Pianoteq is coming to iOS. Can't recall where I saw/read it, but it's in my memory that it's happening.

found it - https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44674/pianoteq-ios-is-on-the-way

Oh thank God it leaked somewhere else first. I"m friends with the guys at Modartt, and I"ve known this was coming for something like four months and haven"t been able to say anything about it.

I"m glad they"re being cautious about getting it to market, per their comments in that audiobus forum linked above, but I really am going bananas waiting. It isn"t just a fantastic modeling system, but you can actually do a fair bit with the timbres. I can"t wait to be able to insert it into signal chains in AUM.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Nope Pianoteq is coming to iOS. Can't recall where I saw/read it, but it's in my memory that it's happening.

found it - https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44674/pianoteq-ios-is-on-the-way

Oh thank God it leaked somewhere else first. I"m friends with the guys at Modartt, and I"ve known this was coming for something like four months and haven"t been able to say anything about it.

Well, THAT's exciting... exciting enough for me to hold off on buying a CP88 and go with a weighted controller/iPad combo instead? We shall see...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I'm just thinking about what seems to be a fairly breathtaking rush by VI traditional companies to iOS recently â VB3m, B-3X, VTines, Pure Piano, PianoTeq.

Good times!

Here for the gear.

Is anyone else immediately put off by a virtual piano "trailer" that starts off with drum machine and synth pads? People, I know what this is for. I don't need to see some cheesy minute-long vignette of somebody sending someone else a track to put piano on and her making her tea at home before I finally get to hear a few tentative notes over top of some stupid looped bullshit. My internal monologue quickly went to "Am I currently happy enough with my current iOS piano options that I'd rather continue using them than sit through the rest of this annoyance, no matter how workable the product may turn out to be?" And the answer was a swift and definitive yes.

This video left me with so many questions.....Does the blond woman find love? Spiritual fulfillment? What about the dude in the beginning? Does he find his true life's purpose?

...and why does the woman have a P-125 (?) in the kitchen, and (what appears to be...) another one in the backroom?

In all seriousness though, this looks like a pretty decent app.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Okay, the trailer is a bit cheesy. The app sounds amazing, though. I"m still in the honeymoon stage, but think it just might be the best iOS acoustic piano yet.

I have all of the others and they all have compromises and quirks that annoy me. Module Ivory sounds okay with the band, but it quickly sounds flat and synthetic by itself. Dynamics are a bit limited, too. I"ve spent many, many hours tweaking Ravenscroft and still have not got it perfect to my liking. Some days it sounds better than others, but Colossus has still been my go-to. It has the most interesting dynamics and natural decay of full-length, non-looping samples that appeal to my picky and quirky tastes.

Now I"ve had less than an hour with Pure Piano, but it has a sweet, evolving sound on the decay that captures the way sound folds upon itself as it bounces around inside of a real piano. I definitely need a few more days to experiment with all of the parameters, but right out of the box it makes very pleasing noises. An absolute steal at the introductory price. And by far the best AC Piano that works on my iPhone.

Pianoteq has a rather high bar to match. Looks like it may have many more parameters to tweak, but also may be much more complicated and quite a chore to get it to one"s optimum setting. I"m still excited for this one too...yes, I"m addicted to music apps.

I bought it this morning and played with it for maybe 30 minutes over headphones. It's a solid piano instrument. Not a toy. Being able to shift timbres while playing is sort of cool. The raw piano voice sounds like a Yammie grand to me. Very useful as part of a mix, not sure if it will stand up as a solo voice, but I'm going to try that as well.

I've rented bad movies that cost more than this, so there wasn't much to think about one way or another.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Brenner13,

Thanks for commenting on this. I was thinking I might pick this up as long as it is an improvement on Module's Ivory. Are you saying it sounds BETTER than Ivory to you? The decay and that natural string phasing type effect is really what makes a good piano app/VST/sample stand out to me. From the promo videos I didn't get a good idea of what the pure piano (regular setting) sounds like, all alone and the decay. I guess at $14 you can't go wrong, eh?

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Looking forward to playing a reasonably priced Pianotek thru my iPad! Hopefully Pure Piano will be a decent substitute.

Listening to some of their ep libraries from e-instruments, was very impressed. But whether strings or various pianos, all of it seems to be for a laptop, except for Pure Piano.

Just bought the Pure Piano, $13.99, intro price. With the iPad volume topped out, still only got about 1/3d full volume, so hard to evaluate

Also bought the iOS GSI VB3M (I have Galileo as well). Huge difference in options offered, G is a 6 page Denny's menu, V is a 1/2 page In and Out Burger menu. VB3m sounds good so far, having fewer options can work out well, esp when what is on offer is quality. We'll see.

Have to say, it's nice to have a way back in. I bought a Kawai ES920 a few months ago, and have been missing some of the things a Stage Piano can bring, like the Kawai MP7SE. Like 256 voices instead of 38, like multi-use knobs and faders for real time editing, editing of 4 voices, not 2, etc. I wish for the ES920 version (decent speakers and lightweight) of the MP7SE! I wonder how many others want this as well.

I've asked in this forum for an ideal keyboard, and with all the great ideas thrown at me, and the limits of my budget, I understood how hard it is to get everything you want from a keyboard from a single board.

Which is to say, having access to quality sounds on the iPad I can create all manner of satisfying layers and get some of what I'm missing not having a MP7SE or the like.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Sounds pretty nice. I would like to know how customizable the velocity curve is. That's a big part of getting things to feel right. I got vTines a while ago and their velocity remapper was a little too basic for me.

Hey, please say more. Other than soft to hard velocity sensitivity settings on my keyboards, I've never seen a 'remapper' in my iOS apps, perhaps I didn't notice it as an option. I've got R275, Korg module Pro, Pure Piano, Galileo 2, Neo soul keys cafe, syntronik, Fretless bass, synth one, etc.

Hey, please say more. Other than soft to hard velocity sensitivity settings on my keyboards, I've never seen a 'remapper' in my iOS apps, perhaps I didn't notice it as an option. I've got R275, Korg module Pro, Pure Piano, Galileo 2, Neo soul keys cafe, syntronik, Fretless bass, synth one, etc.

I'm an iOS vi app newb and don't use my iPad much at all; never on a gig. Here are two apps I have on mine that do let you remap velocity. My Korg module was the free one, so I can't imagine your "pro" version lacking this feature.

Korg-v-curve.jpg

VTines-velocity-remapper.jpg

I"ve had a line mixer failure in my studio and have everything disconnected so it has been few-and-far-between intervals of being able to test things out at home. Gigs have just started to get booked again so even more time dedicated to organizing things on the calendar and brushing up on those tunes and patch changes. I am also fortunate with a day job out of my home, but it is 12 -14 hour days at the computer...leaves very little time to work things out in the studio. Might be a few days more before more time can be utilized to run this new app through the gauntlet.

As for Module, some folks have great success with the app for their needs. However, it has often fallen short of my expectations; sometimes sounding dull and lacking dynamic extremes that I desire....but this is completely my personal conjecture. Module Ivory really blends quite well with my bar band gigs, but I want more sonic sparkle that I can get from apps like Ravenscroft and Colossus.

With the limited testing so far, Pure Piano seems to offer detail in the sound that is superior to the others. But take that for what it"s worth; the opinion of a part time bar gig hack.

I've listened to both demos on a good working Firefox YT set to the highest definition, playing on a Yamaha MG16XU with everything set to straight and neutral, on my large 5 way, 3 way multi amped monitoring, (which I use for just about everything) and have to say: I can understand there's a certain (fake IMO) allure to some of the sound components and at some layered sound level there's actually something of interest (I don't know where from) but at the same time it gives me the shudders and an intestinal tract malfunction. Maybe that's an achievement, but I'd rather take some open source (if that's the term) piano sample, put some EQ on that I know and push it though a budget Lexicon (unfortunately off the market), even thoug I'd be sure not suck in the same way, I'd have more fun.

T.

Did some tracking with Pure Piano last night. The X/Y control pad is great for immediately dialing up a warm, intimate sound for example, or perhaps something that cuts through the mix. Yes, I tried morphing between different presets. It's an interesting effect. Not sure where I'd use it, though. The velocity curve is adjustable enough.

It's a solid-sounding software piano in a multi-instrument context. It can hold its own, tone-wise, when the mix gets thick. The informal poll over at the audiobus forum had it ahead 2:1 over Ravenscroft. The solo piano sound is a little too sterile for me, but also quite usable.

We live in amazing times. Add this to B3-X, Vtines, Moog D et. al. and it's an outrageous keyboard party on my humble iPad.

Patiently waiting for the rest of the SWAM instruments to make it to iOS. On the hunt for a decent clavi, wurli, etc. My new nighttime hobby is re-tracking a bunch of previous stuff with the new instruments. Makes a big difference.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

At this intro price I'm sure it's not a bad deal, but as someone used to the typical laptop fare of piano VIs my bar is set somewhat high. Of course I'm going to compare the experiences, which for me involve more live playing than recording. That would be a major selling point - being able to leave my laptop home and show up with an iPad, small controller and two PPAs. That'll be a happy day.

Patiently waiting for the rest of the SWAM instruments to make it to iOS. On the hunt for a decent clavi, wurli, etc. My new nighttime hobby is re-tracking a bunch of previous stuff with the new instruments. Makes a big difference.

Chuck- were you aware that the SWAM instruments can be purchased within GeoShred and be played from any controller, even utilizing MPE?

I picked up the SWAM instruments for GeoShred when they were offered on sale a few months back.

I purchased Pure Piano late Monday evening. Tuesday I paired it with my Casio PX S-3000. I don"t own a laptop but I have an iPad Air 3rd gen and have installed iGrand, Ravenscroft and Ivory American D in Korg Module.

I"ve spent the last two days playing Pure Piano and comparing it to those others mentioned. I am very impressed. Up until now I could never shake the feeling that I was playing an app. When playing Pure Piano it seems to be a natural extension of the keyboard and it only took slight tweaking of the velocity curve. There"s no discernible latency to distract you that up until now has always cropped up with those other iOS piano apps.

I still have to do the real test and gig with it but so far it"s a pleasant surprise.

I'm an iOS vi app newb and don't use my iPad much at all; never on a gig. Here are two apps I have on mine that do let you remap velocity. My Korg module was the free one, so I can't imagine your "pro" version lacking this feature.

Korg-v-curve.jpg

VTines-velocity-remapper.jpg

My bad, thanks for the reminder, it's been awhile since I've looked at this. I imagine some programs give you lots of control, not just a small number of presets. In fact, I've heard numerous people talk about taking considerable time creating velocity curves that suited a sound and the boards action, like Dave Weiser? I guess those were with computer programs, not iOS apps

Is anyone else immediately put off by a virtual piano "trailer" that starts off with drum machine and synth pads? People, I know what this is for. I don't need to see some cheesy minute-long vignette of somebody sending someone else a track to put piano on and her making her tea at home before I finally get to hear a few tentative notes over top of some stupid looped bullshit. My internal monologue quickly went to "Am I currently happy enough with my current iOS piano options that I'd rather continue using them than sit through the rest of this annoyance, no matter how workable the product may turn out to be?" And the answer was a swift and definitive yes.

:roll:

My reaction to these same kinds of things is, " :rolleyes: Oh god, nevermind!!!" *click*

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI