Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha YC88 I'm hooked!!

Do Kurzweil or Korg have high trig options.

I doubt Kurzweil offers.

At least the Artis 7 and PC4 support high trigger. In Korg's current line, I think only the Vox Continental. (All also discussed in more detail in the threads I linked to above.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

At least the Artis 7 and PC4 support high trigger.

Would you please so kind and point me on this in the PC4´s user guide which I downloaded ?

I cannot find any word on this, but maybe my eyes are too bad (which they really are !).

I´d be interested to know how it´s been realized in the PC4 and for KB3 mode,- just because, when in "program mode" it would be a global parameter.

But what´s up with a "multi" when KB3 is just only assigned to a single zone, together w/ many other different patches in different zones being mapped across the entire keyboard range (and ext. MIDI) ?

Does automatically set the internal keyrange of THAT KB3 zone to high trigger, is it user selectable,- or is it not existing in "multi mode" ?

And what´s up when the KB3 zone inn a multi is listening to MIDI only ( 5 pin DIN and/or USB) ?

And when it exists in a satisfying way,- I hope to get w/ the upcoming K2700 too.

:)

A.C.

At least the Artis 7 and PC4 support high trigger.

Would you please so kind and point me on this in the PC4´s user guide which I downloaded ?

I cannot find any word on this, but maybe my eyes are too bad (which they really are !).

I´d be interested to know how it´s been realized in the PC4 and for KB3 mode,- just because, when in "program mode" it would be a global parameter.

But what´s up with a "multi" when KB3 is just only assigned to a single zone, together w/ many other different patches in different zones being mapped across the entire keyboard range (and ext. MIDI) ?

Does automatically set the internal keyrange of THAT KB3 zone to high trigger, is it user selectable,- or is it not existing in "multi mode" ?

It does not appear to be in the manual. But on a multi with internal sounds, if you combine a piano and KB3 organ (whether split or layered), the organ will trigger at the high point, while piano (or any other sound) will trigger at low point. I just double-checked and duplicated this behavior on my PC4.

As for MIDI, I'll just quote from a post of mine in one of the threads I already pointed to:

On the Artis 7 (and presumably the Forte/PC3/PC4 series, since most of the basic architecture is the same), when you play their KB3 organ engine, its high trigger is sent via MIDI. When you do a split, the keys playing organ send out the high trigger notes, the keys playing the other sound send out the normal low trigger with velocity. When you layer organ and another sound, the trigger behavior is determined by what you chose as your primary part. If you started with organ and layered a piano, the MIDI out will have the high trigger since organ is on part 1. If you started with piano and layered an organ, the MIDI out will have the low-with-velocity trigger since piano is on part 1. So you can get whatever behavior you want out of it, as long as you're not trying to send both types of triggering out simultaneously from the same key.

I haven't done that on the PC4, but it would be weird if it didn't work the same way as it does on the Artis, which similarly supports high trigger. (Though it sounds like you're saying the older PC3 series did not.)

And what´s up when the KB3 zone inn a multi is listening to MIDI only ( 5 pin DIN and/or USB) ?

I don't understand what you're asking (since trigger point has no bearing on the Note On events received over MIDI).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On the "issue" of expression pedal not working on some sounds it was operator error, duh.

The steps are:

Settings/Controllers/Receive Switch/Expression.

Set Keys A and Keys B to "OFF"

Leave Organ to "On" ... or whatever configuration you want.

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

• 1 month later...

First gig with my YC88 last night. I purchased it as a demo from Sweetwater, a little over a month ago. It replaced an RD88 - which I really wanted to like, but didn't get on well with the interface. While the YC88 doesn't have an editable synth engine as extensive as on the RD88, it's much easier to get around the interface. Over the past month of programming the YC for gigs, I've been able to cover a surprising amount of synth parts. As I'm using the YC primarily as a stage piano, that begs the question: "Why not a CP88?". I'm intrigued by the extensive effects engine in the YC (which includes a well-beyond-Nord menu of cabinet and related effects models) , and the possibilities for its use beyond the AP, EP and organ tones. And the organ engine is a fun, alternative twist to typical clonewheel tones in use on my other keyboards. I especially like processing the FM-based organs through the cabinet modeling effects.

And the piano? Insanely playable. One of the best fingers-to-ears connections I've experienced on a stage piano. Plenty of choices too: S700 - my go-to for years in the S90ES, CFX, C7 and the newly released 'Nashville C3'. Though the Bosendorfer sample found in the CP88 isn't included, I don't really miss it. And the Rhodes and Wurli EPs are very strong; I found several to be easily in the same league as their software counterparts.

Still digging in and learning new ways to shape sounds in the YC88. It's quite different in several ways from other instruments I've owned.

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

And yes the biggie question, will Yamaha upgrade the organ rotor? But on a gig where organ isn't a primary focus it's fine. The "other" sounds are pretty good (although as far as a utility board my Kronos is still the one), some more orchestral sounds would be nice for my needs. When a board inspires you to play with it's hand to key connection, that's when you know you found something special. ;-)

And yes the biggie question, will Yamaha upgrade the organ rotor? But on a gig where organ isn't a primary focus it's fine. The "other" sounds are pretty good (although as far as a utility board my Kronos is still the one), some more orchestral sounds would be nice for my needs. When a board inspires you to play with it's hand to key connection, that's when you know you found something special. ;-)

Indeed - IF they fix the organ stuff I will be absolutely in love with this board as a good all-rounder

Been gigging the MODX6, which is a beast, but need an 88 so I was thinking a NS3 88. What advantages does the YC88 offer? The Hammond clone seems kinda below average for 2021. And it's missing the workstation firepower of the MODX, what's the main selling point, the action? Can't say I like the Nord hammer action, but compromise had to be made somewhere I suppose.

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

Been gigging the MODX6, which is a beast, but need an 88 so I was thinking a NS3 88. What advantages does the YC88 offer? The Hammond clone seems kinda below average for 2021. And it's missing the workstation firepower of the MODX, what's the main selling point, the action? Can't say I like the Nord hammer action, but compromise had to be made somewhere I suppose.
There's always a compromise. My thoughts:

- The NS3 is also a beast (in a different way), but the action is one thing you can't change about it. And it's not a full ROMpler with velocity-switching sample sets and heavyweight zoning.

- YC88 has an underwhelming organ model - mainly due to the rotary sim. And it's got a restrictive soundset compared to your MODX. However, easy to add sounds from an iPhone/iPad via USB. Reports on the action are positive.

- Are you looking to replace or augment the MODX6? I'm a fan of two lightweight boards rather than one heavy one - much more versatile.

- Would a MODX8 with an iThing running Galileo or other app for organ work for you? (Drawbar control would be limited). Otherwise Kurzweil PC4 has 88 keys, full ROMpler soundset, plenty of synthesis options and an organ model (debatable how it compares to the Yamaha YC - but you can split outputs and use a Vent)

- Otherwise MODX8 under a Hammond SK1/Mojo 61/etc, or (my preference) an organ board with pitch/mod and controller functions. SK Pro is good but pricey, cheaper alternative would be Numa Organ 2.

I'm 100% positive other KCers will chime in here...

Cheers, Mike.

Advantages of YC88 over NS3 include

* much lower price ($3000 vs. $4700)

* 4-zone MIDI controller for external zones (vs. 2 external zones in the Nord)

* physical drawbars

* eight single-button patch recall buttons instead of five

* FM sounds are generated by a true FM synth engine

* sampled non-piano-type sounds can have multiple velocity layers

* fully flexible split point location

* USB audio interface

* what most people would consider a better action

NS3 advantages over YC include

* what most people would consider a better Leslie sim

* better piano resonance implementation

* more variety of different kinds of piano sounds

* custom sample loading

* full VA synth section

* assignable outs

* multiple simultaneous split points

* morphing (more flexible modulation assignment)

* song mode (pointers to re-group sounds for specific songs)

* 400 user programs (instead of 160)

* aftertouch

* stop-controllable pipe organs

* high trigger point on organ (and I believe low release point on clav)

* deeper clav emulation, including all 4 pickup positions and most of the EQs

* about twice as many factory-supplied basic sounds (and they are changeable, too)

I've owned the NS3 & the APs, EPs are good and of course the organ is superior but the action falls flat compared to the YC88. Head to head comparison is hard and is very subjective, for my needs the YC88 feels more authentic for the "piano playing experience", for second tier using the Roland FA-06 but considering the MODX6 for the bread 'n butter sounds (which one is better?). For the church & country gigs I do the YC88 checks the all the utility boxes for the job. :)

MAN mine just came today. What a board and it reminds me of the CP88 as well but expanded. This is going to be great in my rig.
  • Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• 4 months later...
I just downloaded the update but am wondering where the Nashville Grand and other new sounds are? I followed the tutorial on YouTube and everything seemed to work I just can't locate the new sounds?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I just downloaded the update but am wondering where the Nashville Grand and other new sounds are? I followed the tutorial on YouTube and everything seemed to work I just can't locate the new sounds?

[video:youtube]

This video shows how to check which version of the OS you currently have on your YC and which version is on your USB thumb drive. Can you confirm that v1.10 is presented in both cases on the display?

He also shows how to call up the new sounds from live sets. But you can also scroll through all your sounds using the data wheel/button.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yeah that's the one I used. Thanks for the video. I will have to watch the end as I couldn't figure out how to call them up. I didn't see them while scrolling. v1.10 is the correct one.

noblevibes.com