Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hot Rod Deluxe gone advice on new amp needed

I would like a very small in size and weight tube amp combo with 6v6 power tubes, channel switching with a gain channel & and reverb (reverb if possible, but not a deal killer)

Sold the HRD today for $500. Any advice appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DBM, Glad you sold the HRD...but for what you're looking for, I would have kept it (i.e., 40lbs for 40 tube watts from 2 6L6's, reverb, channel swithing, 112 combo, etc. How about just using your Egnater? Good hunting on the new amp though! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

DBM, Glad you sold the HRD...but for what you're looking for, I would have kept it (i.e., 40lbs for 40 tube watts from 2 6L6's, reverb, channel swithing, 112 combo, etc. How about just using your Egnater? Good hunting on the new amp though! :thu:

Egnater is OK , I might try a Super Champ X2 again. It is an all in one option, has channel switching, on board efx, and is relatively cheap @ $399 plus another 20 bucks for the pedal. I had one once and it was almost everything I wanted in a small amp. I went and sold it to get the Tweaker which I like more but I want something when I go n the road that is efx on board, drive channel, and can fit in one hand and guitar in the other for easy transport. it also plays the backing tracks. I can only find one at Guitar Center, Sweetwater does not have them anymore.

I had archived the fender Fuze Software which had been discontinued by Fender a few years back, So I have that installed on my laptop. It helps in tweaking the presets. I checked my computer to see if it was still on the laptop which it is.

Sweet!!!! Please let us know what you think of it once you've had a chance to give it a spin.

Somehow I remembered that there was a Fender Champ of some sort that fit your description and then I hunted it down.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Well I thought better of it because It is discontinued from fender along will all of the support, so I cancelled it. Tuesday a trip to Guitar Center to see what they have in the $500 price range for a grab and go amp with efx and channel switching.

I was going to try the Street Cube EX, but they want over 300 bucks for the foot-switch, that nixed the deal right there. I might just get another Tweaker 15 watt head as a backup and spare amp.

I will keep looking however, no hurry.

I really like the Mesa Rectoverb 25. Its everything you asked for. Extremely versatile. The drive modes are great. Crunch does great classic Rock. The Modern does heavy stuff well.

I have a Katana 100. I like it a lot for pedal steel and acoustic stuff. For 6 for electric guitars it"s sort of meh compared to m Boogies but ... it should be price differences are huge.

PS - Crap, MAP is $1549 now. It was 1200-1300 when I got mine. I still recommend the amp but it cost more than I thought.

LaPHV0Y.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Congrats on the new Fender DBM!
I cancelled the Super Champ X2 and the foot switch pedal Larryz Still looking for another amp. I will probably just get another Egnater Tweaker 15 watt head as a back up to the one I have.

Congrats DBM! Let us know how you like the Junior. Did you go with black or tweed? My buddy has an older Jr. and they are cool little amps. I noticed yours has a Jensen speaker and weighs in at 31lbs. They are easy to pack around and gets some cool clean Fender sound and verb. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Congrats DBM! Let us know how you like the Junior. Did you go with black or tweed? My buddy has an older Jr. and they are cool little amps. I noticed yours has a Jensen speaker and weighs in at 31lbs. They are easy to pack around and gets some cool clean Fender sound and verb. :cool:

I got the black (cheapest) one. I got version Iv. I had one at one time but preferred the HRD so I sent the Blues Jr back. One hand on the amp and one on guitar for traveling. I will also bring a distortion stomp. I will update on what I think of the amp after a few days trial. The Blues Jr IV has a Celestion A-Type speaker.

Looks like the tweed and the black one are both $599. The black Jr IV one has the Celestion A and the tweed Jr. III one has the Jensen C12 N. So I didn't notice the difference at 1st. The Black IV runs $674 and has an Eminence Red and White...I have no idea which speaker is the best? Loos like you got a good deal though!
Take care, Larryz

I have no idea which speaker is the best? Loos like you got a good deal though!
I have never been fond of any of the speakers that come with Fender amps. I never met a Celestian that I liked so far. but I can get a nice Cannabis Rex speaker for a bit less than a hundred bucks. Back in the day I switched all my Fender amps to JBL K 120's, that made them louder and had more under and overtones. When I got my first Mesa Boogie a Mark IIC+ I started using EVM12L's (Which I still have 2 of) and they are both over 35 years young, and both sound and work great, but they are heavy compared to other speakers. If I have to switch out the celestians, I will go with the Eminence Cannabis Rex Hemp cone speakers which are darker and deeper sounding than other speakers. So far they have not shipped out the amp, I think they are waiting to get it from Fender, it says "Waiting for Items" in my orders history.

Back in the day I switched all my Fender amps to JBL K 120's, that made them louder and had more under and overtones.

Absolutely awesome speakers for clean tone, but probably doubled the weight of your cabinets.

Yep it did make them heavier but I was younger, went to the gym daily, and I was a bricklayer by trade. Carried in my Twin Reverb with the 2 K 120's one handed with guitar in the other at gigs back in the day. In those days not a problem.

DBM, speakers are a big deal for me too.

Up until recently, I changed out the speakers in almost every amp I owned.

LOTS of speakers I haven't tried and probably will never get around to trying. Sometimes you'll get a new one and think it sucks but when it gets broken in, it's great.

Lately I've been surprised. The last 5 amps I've gotten - 4 of them sound great with the original speaker.

Boss Katana 100 Combo has a great sounding 12 in it.

Peavey Vypyr VIP3 has a great sounding 12 in it.

Big surprise - Roland Cube 40 gx has a great sounding speaker in it.

The Peavey Vypyr VIP1 had a wretched POS 8" in it. It sucked.

I cut a new baffle and put in a Peavey Scorpion 10" and it's a completely different amp, a monster.

And, it's a tiny bit of a wimpy little thing but the Roland Micro Cube has a surprisingly good speaker in it, for a 5 or 6 inch cone. It won't get loud or sound huge but at apartment levels it sounds great.

So maybe give your speaker a chance to get broken in, unless it just flat out sucks. I've heard great things about the Cannibis Rex speakers but never played through one.

Dd the JBL and EV thing but like you I am not into toting heavy gear anymore.

Played a few Blues Juniors, those are nice sounding amps too. Enjoy!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Carried in my Twin Reverb with the 2 K 120's one handed with guitar in the other at gigs back in the day.

Dude :2thu:

No big deal amigo. I lifted weight all day long as a bricklayer/stone mason/block layer/concrete mason and finisher..A Twin With JBL's about 85 lbs with the JBL's. That would hurt big time now, back then it was just another bit of weight....

I had a twin with two JBL's from around '72 - '84. It was heavy to load and unload for gigs but it was the best cool clean amp I ever owned. Before I got drafted back in '69 I saw a band called The Seeds at the Fillmore West. The lead player was filling the hall with his Fender twin reverb amp and right then and there I knew I had to have one. I had to size down due to a bad back as 85lbs was just too much. So I went with the Hot Rod 410 DeVille (which lost two of the 4 6L6's) which cut about 30lbs off at 55lbs using a smaller transformer. It still had the clean Fender reverb that filled my needs. Then a couple of years ago my buddy wanted to sell his 112 Hot Rod Deluxe (which kept the 2 6L6's) and put out 40 watts at 40lbs with less speaker and transformer weight. Which cut out about another 15lbs and kept my Fender clean verb sound. Then Fender came out with the Fender Deluxe Tonemaster SS amp that weighs in around 20lbs and sounds and puts out the volume just like the tuber it models from back in '65. So now I'm a light weight happy camper sans tube and amp weight back issues LoL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I did a tour back in the 80s with a big band. The pianist insisted on his own piano monitor, which was a Crown PCC160 mic plugged in to a silver face Twin Reverb loaded with a pair of JBL K120s. Crazy loud & crazy heavy. About 2 weeks into a 6 week tour the weight of the JBLs broke the front baffle, so for the rest of the tour the JBLs were kind of resting in the bottom of the cabinet angled up at a 45 degree angle, amidst a bunch of splintered particle board.
Scott Fraser