Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ISO: Piano Shell war stories

As gigs resume in 2021, I'm extra enthusiastic about stage presence and am considering getting a piano shell. You know, a portable, hollow wooden shell/stand that looks like a small baby grand, into which a digital piano can be housed.

My goal is not to "fool" the audience into thinking I'm playing an acoustic piano (although I think some casual audience members will be fooled). Rather, the goal is to achieve a visual upgrade (in a 5 piece local cover band) from the typical keyboard stand look. As has often been observed on this forum, the X stand + keyboard player crotch visual isn't in high demand.

I'd appreciate anecdotes about gigging with piano shells. E.g., what's the cost/benefit on the hassle of transporting vs. the stage-presence upgrade? How frequently did a small stage prevent usage? I've read several good KC threads about piano shells (incl lists of manufacturers) but didn't find anecdotes about experiences gigging with them, especially moving them from gig to gig instead of semi-permanent installations.

Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't care that much about making them thinks it's a AP then can just use some drape to hide all the cables, gear names, and etc. That is what we did at the church I worked at since are services were streamed and videoed. Amazing how a little drape material as in "pipe and drape" and some black gaffers tape can quickly make things more visually appealing. Ask anyone who's down some stage designing or setup about the drape material and where to get it. It's real thin and easy to wrap around things like keyboards or tables anything to make more pro on stage. The keyboards we eventually put velcro on the keyboard and drape to make it easy to take off change or check cables or use when we did remote events. I can't imaging hauling a fake piano shell around it would take a lot of space and add weight to hauling gear and add to the setup time. Also add to potential points of failure for a gig.

Unfortunately I don't have any war stories to share.

I've considered buying and gigging a smaller shell off and on for many years now - as audiences really do "listen with their eyes" (and I've had a few event coordinators wanting a better stage aesthetic), I know it can make a difference. But no matter what, the schlep factor becomes really prohibitive. Even the lightest / smallest ones I could find end up adding an awkward, weird shaped 40-50 pound item to maneuver in and out of an SUV, to the stage and back again.

Seems like a game for either 1) a guy 30 years younger, or 2) a roadie. I have neither.

Plan B, Dutchgrand, and several other vendors can all be found online. But these really seem best for either permanent installations or when you have roadie help.

Just my 0.02.

Tim

A mini grand piano shell looks nice. But no so easy to come by and probably not very affordable.

I opted for a little simpler shell. I built one based on a B3 shape.

w6kubVn.jpg

Lots of wiring fixed inside, saves setup/teardown time. Yamaha mixer outputs stereo XLR.

ijjx7XS.jpg

An umbilical cord goes to a pedal board. Out of there I have a single power cable and 2 XLR outputs.

tOV9lpt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2TnlILk.jpg

z0h9sVu.jpg

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

I opted for a little simpler shell. I built one based on a B3 shape.

That thing is truly beautiful, but omg, it looks heavy!

Thanks.

Not that heavy really. It's made of Pine to be both cheap and lightweight.

With keyboards removed and legs still attached it's under 40 pounds. Legs fold or come right off easily.

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

Thanks for all these thoughts.

Amazing how a little drape material as in "pipe and drape" and some black gaffers tape can quickly make things more visually appealing.

This drape idea is a good one I've used before. I've also used more colorful tapestries for the same purpose. IMO, this tactic improves the stage look by making things look more professional, but I think lacks an affirmative increase or "pop" to the stage presence. I suppose the proxy I'd use for success of a piano shell is the number of people who would compliment me on it; I've never had anyone compliment my drape.

Have an RD-2000 in a "GrandIllusion" baby grand shell, been using it for a few years at church & there are still people who think it's the real deal.

Yes, this is the desired outcome. I assume even those who know the shell isn't a real piano nevertheless appreciate its visual appeal on stage instead of just the digital board.

I can't imaging hauling a fake piano shell around it would take a lot of space and add weight to hauling gear and add to the setup time. Also add to potential points of failure for a gig.

I've considered buying and gigging a smaller shell off and on for many years now - as audiences really do "listen with their eyes" (and I've had a few event coordinators wanting a better stage aesthetic), I know it can make a difference. But no matter what, the schlep factor becomes really prohibitive. Even the lightest / smallest ones I could find end up adding an awkward, weird shaped 40-50 pound item to maneuver in and out of an SUV, to the stage and back again.

These two comments, and the fact no one (so far) has offered a tale of schlepping a shell from gig to gig, is ultimately what makes me hesitate. I recognize I have extra enthusiasm about gigging due to the extended covid hiatus. I suppose I should be grateful to know myself well enough to know that enthusiasm will wane and, if I bought a shell, six months from now I'll be tired of the schlep and back to posting here for hints on "streamlining" my gig rig.

Btw, in case useful to others, here is a list of piano shell vendors I compiled. Their business models and price points vary widely. E.g., some manufacture lightweight portable piano shells. Others salvage unwanted pianos and repurpose as (heavy) shells.

Dutchgrand

Keyhole Shells

Plan B

CV Keyboards

Nashville Piano Rescue

The Piano Shell Company

Grand Illusion

Shell Shocked pianos

Fiorese

Steveway pianos

There is an Elton John tribute band here in New Jersey that uses a huge Piano shell mainly for outdoor concerts. They use a trailer to transport it but it really adds an authentic look.

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I know a guy here in Hungary that does Jerry Lee Lewis tributes. At outdoor gigs he gets a beatdown piano shell from somewhere, puts an almost as beatdown old DP in it, and at the end of the show he proceeds to pour lighter fuel on the shell, light it on fire and dance on top of the burning piano.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I know a guy here in Hungary that does Jerry Lee Lewis tributes. At outdoor gigs he gets a beatdown piano shell from somewhere, puts an almost as beatdown old DP in it, and at the end of the show he proceeds to pour lighter fuel on the shell, light it on fire and dance on top of the burning piano.

Wow. Commitment to his craft!