Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CP4 and iPad B-3X hum

I am trying to run B-3X on an iPad, sending MIDI from a CP4 through the USB port and then through a camera adapter to the iPad. The iPad sends sound out the headphone jack into the Aux input on the CP4. There is a constant faint hum when both USB and audio cables are connected, and removing either cable stops the hum. I have tried a Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI adapter, which eliminated the hum but introduced unacceptable latency.

Has anyone eliminated the hum running B-3X with a CP4?

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, all. I just ordered an isolator from Amazon. OT, but I ordered an inexpensive MIDI to USB adapter from Amazon that didn"t work, and when I went to return it, Amazon refunded my money but told me not to send the device back. Stand-up customer service!
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Running midi from and audio back to the same board causes some kind of ground loop.

This is what I really like about what Yamaha has done with their newer boards. I get midi and audio both over usb, sounds great and I have a volume control for it. As a bonus, I have a different volume control for the external ins, and I'm planning to run my other synth in there. Testing has gone well so far, I wish there was a bit better gain monitoring but I just need to be careful. So I'll have three sound sources (MODX, synth, ipad) and no need of a mixer, if all goes well!

It's quite literally the feature that has changed my mind (so far) about moving on from the MODX and getting a Nord Stage. While a Stage would surely be great and convenient, what I have right now is a fair bit cheaper as I already had the ipad.