Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

Delightfully surprised today when the new, factory sealed, replacement Numa Compact 2X dropped upon my doorstep today. Arrived with firmware 1.10, so spent the day updating, downloading sounds, and reprogramming the presets for the band"s set list. The dern thing still has a touchy G# above middle C, but nowhere near as bad as the multiple bad keys of the demo that had to be returned, and not as bad as the A on my NC2. I"ll deal with it, I think.

Got a rehearsal/sound check on Tuesday for an empty-arena-live-stream on Thursday. Nothing like trial by fire...YIKES!

Really digging the new sounds and the easy manipulation of organ and synth pads. Was able to get 40 presets done in about 5 hours, and that was with a ton of dinking around in between.

A nearly perfect day. :keys2:

How was the gig? Can you give an example of a preset change that you made? I just received my 2x yesterday. Do you think the speakers have enough umph to play a small coffeehouse, intimate bar, etc. gig? I am awaiting my back-ordered Kawai ES-110 (I own their MP-11). How would you compare the acoustic piano sounds and speaker power on these boards? Thank you!

Got a rehearsal/sound check on Tuesday for an empty-arena-live-stream on Thursday. Nothing like trial by fire...YIKES!

Really digging the new sounds and the easy manipulation of organ and synth pads. Was able to get 40 presets done in about 5 hours, and that was with a ton of dinking around in between.

How was the gig? Can you give an example of a preset change that you made? I just received my 2x yesterday. Do you think the speakers have enough umph to play a small coffeehouse, intimate bar, etc. gig? I am awaiting my back-ordered Kawai ES-110 (I own their MP-11). How would you compare the acoustic piano sounds and speaker power on these boards? Thank you!

The gig was danged H.O.T. 95 degrees and 95% humidity...good 'ol Kansas summer. Man, the sound guys and lighting crew were top notch...real pros. The Numa 2X worked great! Piano and Wurly were nice and punchy. I had too much phaser on the Rhodes which made it rather muddy on stage, but surprisingly sounded real good on playback. Again, excellent sound crew. I chickened out with the organ and used my heavily modified MODX presets. Just need some more time with the 2X"s drawbars at some smaller venues.

As for the presets, I went through and tried to recreate the one"s I"ve made in my C2:

1) Piano/String lyr with the swell pedal only on the strings, no effects on the piano, but some phaser ready to dial in on the strings.

2) Piano/Brass lyr set up in similar fashion. 'Unchain My Heart' and 'Into The Mystic'.

3) Synth Pad/High Chimes split w/ chimes on the top two octaves. Covers 'Drive' by The Cars and 'Wrapped Around Your Finger' by The Police.

4) Rhodes; Fagen-style.

5) Wurly; drive and tremolo ready to dial up.

6) Clav; stacked and detuned to emulate chorus which makes available the drive on upper and phaser on lower.

7) Piano/Organ split; piano on the lowest two octaves, transposed up an octave for SRV"s 'Crossfire'.

8) Piano/Flute split to cover 'Can"t You See' and a couple of Jethro Tull tunes (though MODX does it better).

9) Vox/Farf; really like 'em layered. Far from authentic, but sure is a hoot of a sound!

10) Honky Tonk Piano...just fun to pull it out sometimes...works great on Rolling Stones" 'Dead Flowers'.

...and on and on.

I"m not sure if Numa"s internal speakers are enough for much more than personal practice. However I like how they vibrate the keys that little bit, giving an added nuance feel, even though they can"t really be heard on a loud stage. So glad to have the on/off option for the speakers.

Kawai"s ES100 (and presumably ES110"s) onboard speakers have much stronger bass response and are probably better suited to fill a small, intimate space...imho. I like playing the Kawai much better for piano...obviously an excellent keybed; and perhaps has a more refined(?) sound. The Numa C"s have way more character (artifacts?). Like 'em or hate 'em; l like them...most of the time.

Just the opinions of a keyboard hack, though. :hugegrin:

As for the presets, I went through and tried to recreate the one"s I"ve made in my C2:

1) Piano/String lyr with the swell pedal only on the strings, no effects on the piano, but some phaser ready to dial in on the strings.

2) Piano/Brass lyr set up in similar fashion. 'Unchain My Heart' and 'Into The Mystic'.

3) Synth Pad/High Chimes split w/ chimes on the top two octaves. Covers 'Drive' by The Cars and 'Wrapped Around Your Finger' by The Police.

4) Rhodes; Fagen-style.

6) Clav; stacked and detuned to emulate chorus which makes available the drive on upper and phaser on lower.

7) Piano/Organ split; piano on the lowest two octaves, transposed up an octave for SRV"s 'Crossfire'.

8) Piano/Flute split to cover 'Can"t You See' and a couple of Jethro Tull tunes (though MODX does it better).

9) Vox/Farf; really like 'em layered. Far from authentic, but sure is a hoot of a sound!

10) Honky Tonk Piano...just fun to pull it out sometimes...works great on Rolling Stones" 'Dead Flowers'.

...and on and on.

I"m not sure if Numa"s internal speakers are enough for much more than personal practice. However I like how they vibrate the keys that little bit, giving an added nuance feel, even though they can"t really be heard on a loud stage. So glad to have the on/off option for the speakers.

Kawai"s ES100 (and presumably ES110"s) onboard speakers have much stronger bass response and are probably better suited to fill a small, intimate space...imho. I like playing the Kawai much better for piano...obviously an excellent keybed; and perhaps has a more refined(?) sound. The Numa C"s have way more character (artifacts?). Like 'em or hate 'em; l like them...most of the time.

------------------> Thanks for the blow by blow! As to #4 (Fagen) what did you do to recreate Don's sound on Lucy? And, to ask a newbie (to this board at least) question, how does one go about saving a preset generally? I'm trying to see if this board will cut it for Jazz solo and trio gigs. It's doable on public transportation in NYC and LA. The ES-110 might be too, but since I'm a saxophone player (first, actually), I bring a tenor sax too, and so the lighter keyboard, the better. So far (2) days, I'm impressed with the 2x. The keybed is top notch for a non-weighted and is actually playable. I assume the hammer action weighted Kawai will be better, I own their MP-11 and really dig it (NOT giggable at 85 pounds...). I dialed up the string resonance on the new German and Japanese pianos, and they sound really good, save perhaps the really low end through the small speakers - fine through headphones, though.

Sorry so long for a reply...juggling family, three bands (rehearsals and two of 'em got to do the local empty arena FB stream), and fortunate to still be working for a major corporation (however 12-hour days are common).

Obviously there are intricacies and specific nuances of Mr. Fagen"s Rhodes that can not possibly be replicated, so I"m simply layering a couple of tones and judiciously applying effects. Not in my wildest dreams can I pretend to sound like him or his instrument of choice.

That said, the slightest nudge on the effects knobs can make significant changes to the sound on the Numa C2X so you"ll have to dial to taste and hopefully get close to what LUCY sounds like in your own head.

upper: EP-Mark 1 - V 120 - FX1 Chorus (Rate is pretty slow and Level is about half-way) - FX2 Tremolo (Rate is mid-fast and Level is 0, ready to dial in).

lower: E-Pno1 - V 72 (dial the volume to taste for a little more bark to the tone) - FX1 Phaser (Rate pretty slow and Level about half way) - FX2 same as above.

These settings still have a bell tone that kind of annoy me, but it can be dialed out by turning the onboard treble all the way down.

Also, press the Mix knob to move the highlight to one of the layers and short-press the EDIT button for PART EDIT, go page 5/11 and adjust the FINE TUNE to give a hint of chorus. I have lower -2 and upper +1.

And while in PART EDIT, I like to have STICK 2 (page 10/11) on FX2 for quick access to Tremolo speed...both upper and lower.

Oh, page 11/11: turn off the Aftertouch for all piano and EP registrations...unless you like that vibrato for some reason.

I prefer the Room REVERB dialed up to about a 1/4 on almost every sound; between 9 and 10 o"clock...closer to 9.

While tweaking your sounds, be sure to save your work more often than you think necessary. So many times, I"ve spent well over 30 minutes getting things how I like them just to lose it all by accidentally nudging the MIX knob at the wrong time. Press that STORE button, click down on the MIX knob, dial to the right for YES, and click down on the MIX knob again.

More advice from a hack...take it for what it"s worth. Ha!

• 1 month later...
If I can't get the keys fixed on my pc361, I might be in the market for a controller with good action. Onboard sounds a bonus for when/if gigging resumes. I dearly wish this was 76 or even 61 keys though...88 doesn't fit on my sliding under-desk z stand without hitting the desk legs!

How do

The gig was danged H.O.T. 95 degrees and 95% humidity...good 'ol Kansas summer. Man, the sound guys and lighting crew were top notch...real pros. The Numa 2X worked great! Piano and Wurly were nice and punchy. I had too much phaser on the Rhodes which made it rather muddy on stage, but surprisingly sounded real good on playback. Again, excellent sound crew. I chickened out with the organ and used my heavily modified MODX presets. Just need some more time with the 2X"s drawbars at some smaller venues.

4) Rhodes; Fagen-style.

...and on and on.

How do you access the presets you made? Is it easy to change from one to another in the middle of a song? How does the interface works for you?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

How do you access the presets you made? Is it easy to change from one to another in the middle of a song?

Accessing your presets is a weakness of the board. You have to use the scroll knob. However, your presets should respond to MIDI Program Change, allowing you to also access your presets from, for example, a smartphone or maybe a second board in your rig.

I wish they had supported alternately using the Sound Bank buttons as programmable buttons for calling up favorite user programs and/or some kind of numeric pad implementation.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Question:

(1) How loud are the built in speakers?

I do a lot of private gigs; and church gigs.

I'm sure it would fill someone's living room or great room;

how would it be in a small Church setting?

(2) Can you have the internal speakers play, and plug in a small supplemental amplifier as well?

This could really fit the bill for me...

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

(1) The built-in speakers are handy, but they are not loud. I would say they could be used for a living room concert but only solo, not with a band. Not sure they would fit the bill for a small church setting, I guess it depends on the size of the small church. :-) They are really mostly useful for solo rehearsal, although when used live they can help bolster monitoring a bit and, as another forum member observed, the vibration of the speakers can provide a bit of physical feedback that might be satisfying when you play with a band. (2) Yes! The internal speakers can be turned on and off and can be combined with an external amp. Overall, I find the NC2x to be a very handy little board, and it's great to have aftertouch and audio over USB at this price point. It's also just so liberating to pick up 88 keys with one hand to do a backyard concert or another venue where I would prefer not to take a heavier, more expensive board.
"Have a good time ... all the time. That's my philosophy, Marty."

Not sure they would fit the bill for a small church setting, I guess it depends on the size of the small church. :-)
Or maybe whether it's a quiet congregation or a vocal one! ;-)

Really, I doubt the internal speakers are suitable for any public performance scenario. It's not just limited volume, but also very little bottom, it's not a "full" sound.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Much of the reason I upgraded from the NC2 was for the drawbars to control B-3X. Works great for me, however I"ve only set up the upper manual so far and still use the iPad touch screen to switch the CV on and off. Not sure if the CV button on the NC2X transmits MIDI CC? The mod lever works default with Leslie speed control and the expression pedal does what it"s s"posed to.

Got to gig a couple of times in the last couple of months and had great comments on the Hammond sound. Love the one-usb-cable-do-it-all connection.

How do you access the presets you made? Is it easy to change from one to another in the middle of a song?

Accessing your presets is a weakness of the board. You have to use the scroll knob. However, your presets should respond to MIDI Program Change, allowing you to also access your presets from, for example, a smartphone or maybe a second board in your rig.

I wish they had supported alternately using the Sound Bank buttons as programmable buttons for calling up favorite user programs and/or some kind of numeric pad implementation.

My hope is Gianni will implement a scheme like Ensoniq put on the SD-1 and TS-10 for naming patches: When in a certain mode (in the Numa's case, holding a button with the left hand) each of the 88 keys becomes a program selector. That would give nearly instantaneous access to 88 of the 100 Preset's - and easy to remember too: " ah, my Clav/Organ Splits are all in the lowest octave" for example...

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

My hope is Gianni will implement a scheme like Ensoniq put on the SD-1 and TS-10 for naming patches: When in a certain mode (in the Numa's case, holding a button with the left hand) each of the 88 keys becomes a program selector. That would give nearly instantaneous access to 88 of the 100 Preset's

Yes, that would be cool. Or even repurposing the 8 sound bank buttons could give you instant access to 64 presets (11-18, 21-28, etc., like old Rolands). Though it would have been even better if they had kept the ten sound select buttons of the original Numa Compact. But anyway, as it is now, if the MIDI button is activated, the 8 Sound Select buttons do absolutely nothing. It seems like that could be one way to enable those buttons for calling up user programs.

• 3 months later...
New Electro Sound Pack with 8 new EP voices just dropped for the NC2 & NC2x Sound library. Rhodes Mark II, Wurlix 215, Hohner Pianet (2 versions) and 4 Hybrid sounds based upon digitally morphed combinations of FM attack transients and various electric pianos. Will download these later today for eval & testing. Especially looking forward to the Mark II Rhodes and the Hybrid sounds!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

New Electro Sound Pack with 8 new EP voices just dropped for the NC2 & NC2x Sound library. Rhodes Mark II, Wurlix 215, Hohner Pianet (2 versions) and 4 Hybrid sounds based upon digitally morphed combinations of FM attack transients and various electric pianos. Will download these later today for eval & testing. Especially looking forward to the Mark II Rhodes and the Hybrid sounds!

Looks I need to break down and update.....

Thanks for all the great reports!

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone else has recently gotten this board.

I need a new controller for MainStage, and this seems to fit the bill, in a lot of scenarios.

I'd use it for its internal pianos; the 88 keys could give also me generous splits in MainStage; it would be in conjunction with the Electro 5D 73, which is primarily for organs and EP's.

However, if the EPs are decent then I'd just use the Electro for organ; or in the instances when I just want one board, I'd use it to also control B3-X on Mainstage.

Am I missing anything here?

It seems to make more sense to spend the extra money and get a great sounding flexible sound engine, in addition to 88 keys; rather than spending almost as much, if not more, on a controller that makes NO sound.

Your expert advice is always appreciated!

Tom

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Ya really gotta try out the keybed to be sure you can cope. It might be the most polarizing bit about this board. I"m really having issue with some notes triggering louder than others with all three of the settings, most annoying on the Japan Grand acoustic piano when playing soft and fast arpeggios. G# above middle C is the worst. F# next to it and G# an octave up are noticeable; and C# below middle C is slightly loud and quick. It"s not as bad with the other pianos and most EP"s but that one G# seems a bit giddy on all velocity enabled sounds and even controlling external sounds. It is really starting to wear thin on me...about to call the online store back for warranty inquiry.

The portability is fantastic, especially with the factory designed case with backpack straps. Internal sounds are fine for practice, jams, and the kind of lowbrow bar gigs I do. The EP"s are a bit...vanilla...not very bright and very little artifacts; but still decently dynamic and a great base to run through external effects. Onboard effects are handy, but really just so-so with very basic adjustability.

Again, ya really gotta try it with a good return policy to see if you can deal.

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone else has recently gotten this board.

I need a new controller for MainStage, and this seems to fit the bill, in a lot of scenarios.

I'd use it for its internal pianos; the 88 keys could give also me generous splits in MainStage; it would be in conjunction with the Electro 5D 73, which is primarily for organs and EP's.

However, if the EPs are decent then I'd just use the Electro for organ; or in the instances when I just want one board, I'd use it to also control B3-X on Mainstage.

Am I missing anything here?

It seems to make more sense to spend the extra money and get a great sounding flexible sound engine, in addition to 88 keys; rather than spending almost as much, if not more, on a controller that makes NO sound.

Your expert advice is always appreciated!

Tom

Just to add that (if you didn't know already) the Numa makes a great Mainstage controller: one USB cable for MIDI out and audio back in. Internal sounds and speakers are a bonus if you need them.

Cheers, Mike.

• 2 months later...
How"s the build quality on the compact 2/2x? The weight really appeals and at 7kg it"s not going to be built like a tank but does the shell twist or creak? I had a Studiologic (or maybe Fatar) 61 key controller years and years ago and although it was feather light the shell wasn"t particularly rigid.

How"s the build quality on the compact 2/2x? The weight really appeals and at 7kg it"s not going to be built like a tank but does the shell twist or creak? I had a Studiologic (or maybe Fatar) 61 key controller years and years ago and although it was feather light the shell wasn"t particularly rigid.

Not the best nor the worst. The build is quite solid but it bends a little bit under pressure.

It may twist a little bit because it's such a compact and long plastic build of course.

My guess is that the base chassis is pretty much similar to the old VMK88 series.

Yamaha MODX7 | iPad Mini 2 | Raspberry Pi 3

Not the best nor the worst. The build is quite solid but it bends a little bit under pressure.

It may twist a little bit because it's such a compact and long plastic build of course.

My guess is that the base chassis is pretty much similar to the old VMK88 series.

Thanks for the details, it"s really useful. With not being able to get to music shops at the moment it"s hard to get a feel (literally in this case) for an instrument but this gives me confidence to order one online. ð

• 1 month later...

I'm still enjoying the Numa Compact 2 a whole lot - playing it every day. Just got the TalentCell YB120006-USB battery pack for it, and it seems to work.

Is it perfect? Maybe not, but it's close - there's ALWAYS a way to make it sound great and inspiring - So as far as an all-in-one solution, it's still the champ.

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

I'm still enjoying the Numa Compact 2 a whole lot - playing it every day. Just got the TalentCell YB120006-USB battery pack for it, and it seems to work.

Is it perfect? Maybe not, but it's close - there's ALWAYS a way to make it sound great and inspiring - So as far as an all-in-one solution, it's still the champ.

Cool, such a small battery. Would be curious how long the battery lasts while playing thru the onboard speakers at full volume!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• 2 months later...
hello everyone âï¸. help set up your synthesizer to play all four sounds simultaneously. the upper and lower sounds are easy to change. but I can't figure out how to change the sounds at the midi 3 and midi 4 inputs. I connect the Arthuria beatsteep pro sequencer to these channels. and two different patches are played in the synthesizer, but I don"t know how to change them. I did not find anything about this in the instructions. in the synthesizer menu, I did not find how to change the patches that are played from an external keyboard or sequencer. I will be glad for any help!

hello everyone âï¸. help set up your synthesizer to play all four sounds simultaneously. the upper and lower sounds are easy to change. but I can't figure out how to change the sounds at the midi 3 and midi 4 inputs. I connect the Arthuria beatsteep pro sequencer to these channels. and two different patches are played in the synthesizer, but I don"t know how to change them. I did not find anything about this in the instructions. in the synthesizer menu, I did not find how to change the patches that are played from an external keyboard or sequencer.

I haven't done it, but it looks like all you have to do is send Program Changes on MIDI channels 3 and 4. The exact PCs you have to send for each of the sounds is listed in the appendix of the manual, under "Sounds List."