Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad Pro 2021, M1 and Thunderbolt

Apple's new iPad Pro leaks ahead of rumored event

' Apple will launch a series of new iPads in April, a report Wednesday said. The new iPad Pros will come with Apple's homemade M1 chips, a Thunderbolt port, and better cameras and screens, according to Bloomberg. They will reportedly come in 11- and 12.9-inch display sizes'

https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-new-ipad-pro-leaks-ahead-of-rumored-event/

We"ll have to wait to see what the storage options are and for someone to do a tear down to see how much RAM.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The recent Air is intriguing and seems like a good fit for my musical needs, when I get around to upgrading my Lightning-based iPads (which won't be for a good long while). I am more excited about the possibility of a new Mini on the way. Depending on what it offers, that would probably be my next buy, as that's my favorite form factor for actually doing music.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

It would make sense for the "Thunderbolt port" to simply be USB 4 which is USB-C and Thunderbolt combined. I doubt it would only be TB.

I also doubt the chips would be M-series. that's what they're calling the Mac chips. They'll be A14X or some member of the A-series even if they're largely equivalent to M-series.

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2021/03/18/gurman

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Reading around it is anticipated to be something on par with the faster M1 chip, the A14X has been mentioned.

Has an iPad processor ever been on par with the fastest computer or laptop chips? <=never mind...... corrected above line to be "faster" not "fastest"

iOS has some relatively limited conventions.

'According to our research, we also found that the A14X is based on the T8103, which is the codename for the Apple M1 chip used in the first Apple Silicon Macs,' explains 9to5Mac writer Filipe Espósito. 'This corroborates a recent Bloomberg report that claims the next-generation iPad Pro will have 'an updated processor that is on par with the faster M1 chip".'

Given the replies to my recent thread a few weeks back showing a lot of folks are running the most intensive music apps like B-3x on 5th or 6th gen iPads without issues, I"m especially interested in the announcement that they"ll be releasing a new version of their cheapest student model. I"d think that would also drop the price on their current $300 8th gen, which can run every music app anyone would ever want to use, according to some of the members here. What else would you need the extra power for, music-wise?

Low- Cost iPad and Mini

Anyway, will be keeping an eye out...

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

I use my ipad quite often, but not for anything that would seem to require a "pro" version. As mentioned above, B-3X is I'm guessing the most intensive app I use and my 4th gen seems to bat not an eye.

I'll save the super processing for my video game playing (pc) and music with a DAW (mac)!

Given the replies to my recent thread a few weeks back showing a lot of folks are running the most intensive music apps like B-3x on 5th or 6th gen iPads without issues............What else would you need the extra power for, music-wise?.....

With regard to the need for M1 processing power on the iOS platform, my hope is that the capability will entice production of better and more demanding plugins for iOS. It would be cool to run the likes of Omnisphere, Diva, Falcon2, etc on an ipad. Admittedly, the current plugin offerings are great, and the new MacBook Air with M1 is in the same price range as an iPad Pro.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

thanks for that link, Noah. Myself, I've never been a tablet guy, that might change eventually.

I'm the same Dave and I can't work out why. Twice now I've bought iPads and made a determined effort to make it my central device and both times I've ended up handing it on to a family member. From a band context when they get to the stage that there are ports or options to connect a full Mainstage rig and run multiple plugins I may take the plunge again.

So in a roundabout way this topic has been on my mind for some time.

While I"ve been an iPad pro gen 2 user for a few years as a non music making general computer, and after this being my third 'non music making' iPad, I"m at the end of the road with IOS for anything other than my phone as an experiment to not use a mac laptop for those tasks. The reasons why are in the details.

On the surface IOS appears to be a capable replacement for general computing duties but for me it"s not. You look at it and you go 'oh yes it has many of the same apps I use on OSX' but then as you use things like the mail app, microsoft suite, iWork suite general printing support etc you realise that many of the basic functions you often use in those apps on OSX are just plain missing from the IOS versions - or if not missing they require 2 - 4 different apps to do the same as what one app on os x can offer.

I expect I would have a similar level of disappointment - or worse - if I could be bothered to try to use IOS for music making.

I"m a very longtime Logic Pro user for my studio business and MainStage user for live keyboard gigs. I feel certain that if - as many have speculated - Apple may release something like MainStage or Logic for IOS those would be just as disappointing as the feelings I expressed further up in this post.

My next non music making computer will most likely be the M1 MacBook air or similar. At least then I know what I"m buying rather than the lucky dip of app functionality across 2 different operating systems AND it will make an excellent back stop for my main MainStage performing computer.

So, to sum up, in my view it doesn"t matter how powerful the IOS hardware becomes as the limitations will be in the broad feature support of the software and it will always be playing catchup in this area purely because it"s development is decades less evolved.

Kind regards

Paul Najar

Jaminajar music production

www.jaminajar.com

... From a band context when they get to the stage that there are ports or options to connect a full Mainstage rig and run multiple plugins I may take the plunge again.

This has been my main problem with the iPad/iPhone, I love the idea of it as a music device, but once you start connecting audio + MIDI gear ... urghhhhhh. I have all the dongles and doodads to make it work, but honestly, I really only use the 3.5mm adapter to get sound to the mixer + Bluetooth if I need MIDI. Once the CCK needs to get involved - I reach for the Macbook Air. The iPad gets relegated to Youtube/Netflix duty and the iPhone becomes the drum machine.

Looking forward to a new M1 laptop, just waiting for the current 2013 model to poop out.

Not sure why, when devices lik the iConnect Midi/Audio and IK Multimedia iRig Pro Duo are available, ONE lightning connection, that's it.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

This has been my main problem with the iPad/iPhone, I love the idea of it as a music device, but once you start connecting audio + MIDI gear ... urghhhhhh. I have all the dongles and doodads to make it work, but honestly, I really only use the 3.5mm adapter to get sound to the mixer + Bluetooth if I need MIDI. Once the CCK needs to get involved - I reach for the Macbook Air. The iPad gets relegated to Youtube/Netflix duty and the iPhone becomes the drum machine.

To each his own, of course, but this is kind of a funny take. It"s literally one additional cord to setup an iPhone/Korg Plugkey compared to a MacBook Air in that scenario. MIDI cable + audio out to hook up the iPhone vs. the 1/8 inch audio out on a Macbook. Think about it relative to the tangle of line mixers and racks a lot of guys on here schlep around and it"s almost nothing at all.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Not sure why, when devices lik the iConnect Midi/Audio and IK Multimedia iRig Pro Duo are available, ONE lightning connection, that's it.

I suspect the answer is that eventually, hopefully soon, wireless will be robust enough to supersede all these workarounds.

Here for the gear.

I suspect the answer is that eventually, hopefully soon, wireless will be robust enough to supersede all these workarounds.

If bluetooth is any indication of what"s possible with low latency wireless audio performance then we have a long wait yet.

If bluetooth is any indication of what"s possible with low latency wireless audio performance then we have a long wait yet.

Hey, if NASA can talk to Mars within 5 - 20 minutes, we can only hope :laugh:

Here for the gear.

While I'm fairly critical of IOS as a live sound source solution it does actually make the best chart reader with a program like ForScore. Because my iPad is an older one - the first iPad air I believe, it's battery won't last a gig so it connects to my mac via straight lightening cable to keep it powering and to receive midi messages.

There's a nifty little app called Music IO which when active on mac and iPad offers bi directional audio and midi. I only use Music IO to send ForScore a program change to select charts along with each MainStage patch but I mention all this to say that if you use IOS along with Mac OS there is little need for any additional hardware to integrate IOS into a bigger rig when one lightening cable can carry all of that.

Paul Najar

Jaminajar music production

www.jaminajar.com

So in a roundabout way this topic has been on my mind for some time.

While I"ve been an iPad pro gen 2 user for a few years as a non music making general computer, and after this being my third 'non music making' iPad, I"m at the end of the road with IOS for anything other than my phone as an experiment to not use a mac laptop for those tasks. The reasons why are in the details.

On the surface IOS appears to be a capable replacement for general computing duties but for me it"s not. You look at it and you go 'oh yes it has many of the same apps I use on OSX' but then as you use things like the mail app, microsoft suite, iWork suite general printing support etc you realise that many of the basic functions you often use in those apps on OSX are just plain missing from the IOS versions - or if not missing they require 2 - 4 different apps to do the same as what one app on os x can offer.

I expect I would have a similar level of disappointment - or worse - if I could be bothered to try to use IOS for music making.

I"m a very longtime Logic Pro user for my studio business and MainStage user for live keyboard gigs. I feel certain that if - as many have speculated - Apple may release something like MainStage or Logic for IOS those would be just as disappointing as the feelings I expressed further up in this post.

Basically all of this

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

• 2 weeks later...
So far this year I have bought a new iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air. Guess it is time for Apple upgrade them all.

My new MacBook Air M1 arrives Friday, so I hope it's not being updated. That would truly suck...

There's talk of higher power versions of the M1 being released.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

So far this year I have bought a new iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air. Guess it is time for Apple upgrade them all.

My new MacBook Air M1 arrives Friday, so I hope it's not being updated. That would truly suck...

MacRumors says you're fine - don't buy Macbook Pro, ok to buy Macbook Air

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#mac

Relevant video from Constant Geekery:

[video:youtube]

He suggests that new Macs may not be announced until WWDC later in the year.

By the way, I really like this guy's clear, unflashy videos...and he's also a fellow Brit, so I feel something of an obligation to support this channel.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Hey! That is today. Have fun. My Air (16/512) is scheduled to arrive Tuesday. My hub and 2TB external SSD arrives Sunday. I'm excited. I'm also broke. :P

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page