Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential resumes Prophet 5, Prophet 10

I was speaking in general, I was not referring to your Posts. The "Kids" on that "Other" website that is based in the EU expect identical copies of vintage synths, then whine about any modern features that were added that the originals didn't have. I got tired of the kinder garden and closed my account on the website. There are way too many people that post on line that just want to argue.

We have adults here.

Cheers,

Mike T.

I appreciate the clarification.

That discussion you mention sounds worse than the "Dark Tone" thread on GS that brought attention to the capacitor issue, then got locked because some people shot at the messenger.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Different schools of thought can be considered when talking about such instrument "error" in an "important" synth, probably, historically speaking. Musically, it's that you play a darker (less bright) sound, production-wise you mix is going to average less high frequencies and there's some phase shift, electronically, it's an added low pass filter, scientifically, it's probably a statement about pure electronics (not digital) where a capacitor is a very near perfect integrator.

T

Fires up newly reissued and released Prophet 10 for YT video demo...

2:03-3:19: Can't wait to create a synthesized accordion

Said no one, ever

Sounds great otherwise. I suppose it's good to know that it can make a sound I'd never want, need, or use.

I am pleased that Dave finally relented and reissued a Prophet. I can honestly say that I got more than my money's worth from my Prophet 5 Rev 3.2 that I bought back in 1981. I only had it serviced twice after all these years. The First time was because the filter needed adjustment, and the second time it was because I had worn out the KB bushing and had them replaced, I had it calibrated while it was in the shop, and the last time I fired it up, it still works. Amazing. For those of us that complain about the $3495 selling price, keep in mind that I paid $3200 plus tax back in 1981. Do the math. Today's price is a bargain.

For those of you that have read similar Posts to the above, forgive me for repeating.

Cheers!

Mike T. :cool:

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• 2 weeks later...
Might try and pick up a P5 in a few years if the secondhand price is reasonable.

But what are the chances of Dave and Tom doing a reissue of the OBXa? Or is the P5 a one off? Behringer must be close to finishing the UBXa. Would be great to see a real Oberheim coming out first.

I think I heard the UBXa is coming in spring. This P5 looks to be a very sweet and faithful clone.....at a very high cost, like the Korgie Arp.

I can certainly see the allure.

If I had lots of extra dough I would not think twice. Since I don't I'll just have to watch.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

When I heard about the reissue, I just about cried. I now have a Prophet 10 rev4 sitting in front of me. I'm doing a deep dive for the GearLab. What would you guys like to know?

Talk a bit about the capacitors of course. Are you leaving them on or did you take them off, and if so why. Bonus points if you record before and after demos.

My biggest question is about how close the filters sound to an SSM2040. Do they maintain that lovely musical sound when the filter is closed down at medium or low resonance? Did they get the bass compensation at high Q right? Does the CEM filter sound musically different enough to justify having both?

Does the velocity response implementation satisfy, or do you wish for more control?

Comment on the success of the Vintage control.

Moe

---

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...