Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I got to make a video with Craig!

The Casio folks were kind enough to ask me to do a video checking out their new CT-S1 keyboard.

Unfortunately, I've been avoiding making videos for a variety of reasons (most of them pretty lame, honestly), so I turned to Master Craig for advice...and he ended up taking the editing and production reins up and turning it into what I can only describe as a work of art.

Check it out:

[video:youtube]

Thank you, Sensei! :2thu::rocker:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, thanks for the shoutout! I've always felt it was worth trying to do something that wasn't a usual "person-talks-and-plays" video. Nothing like a little pan, zoom, and rotate!

But shouldn't the title have been "I got to make a video with Craig - and survived!"?

Nicely done! This thing checks off so many good boxes, it led me to a quick fantasy about a synth version, like a mini version of the XW-P1. That "Huge Synth" sound is (surely) a Hex patch with backbone to spare. The form would be too much of a dust magnet, even if its parameter controls were sensibly spartan. No complaint about some hazy Next Thing, though. I'm happy to now have a worthy place to send two newbies I know. Talk about superior stocking stuffers...

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Very nicely done

Sublime production as always from Craig

And you yourself, dB, apart from some seriously impressive chops, have a mellifluous speaking voice, tinged with just a hint of a mis-spent youth in smoky bars

Well done both of you!

And you yourself, dB, apart from some seriously impressive chops, have a mellifluous speaking voice, tinged with just a hint of a mis-spent youth in smoky bars

:D

Thank you, brotha...but it's probably more too much weed over the years than bars. :puff:

dB

:thu:

Love the video guys. :thu:

Thank you both so much for working on this. We wanted someone to give a fresh and unique perspective on this keyboard and you delivered in spades.

"I got to make a video with Craig - and survived!"

:roll:

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I'm very glad you liked it! I have a lot of fun with video editing, just like I have a lot of fun with signal processing on instruments. It's amazing what "the Ken Burns approach" and a few public domain images can do :)

I should mention, however, that while the visuals were heavily processed, the keyboard sounds were not processed at all (other than some light limiting on the entire video to make YouTube happy). The sounds people hear on the video are the sounds of the keyboard.

What amazed me the most was when David sent me footage where the audio came from the speakers. I thought it was the direct audio taken to his DAW, although admittedly, the mic probably had a lot to do with that.

It's a fantastic video and appears to be a great product but I need more keys!

What do you think will happen after the CT-S1 flies off the shelves and Mike and Co. at Casio are laughing all the way to the bank?

You really think they're going to go "Our job is done! We've made enough money so we don't need to make an 88-key version!"

Good job to all involved in this great video!

Then check out the CDP-S100/150/350, or the PX-S1000/3000. They don't say AiX but you should recognize the sounds.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Then check out the CDP-S100/150/350, or the PX-S1000/3000. They don't say AiX but you should recognize the sounds.

Yes and no. ;) First, no AiX in the CDP-S100/150. Yes on the others. In addition, the CT-S1 has a lot of content that you won't find in any other products. Casio really made this a "best of set" that we thought keyboardists would love. Some of the synths (OB-X, String Machines and more) transistor organs, classic Casio sounds and wah clavinet (this one can be done on PX-S3000) and the new "Advanced Tones" are unique to the CT-S1.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

My wife prefers to use my old PX-3 at gigs, it's simple, has great sounds and of course is lightweight. She hasn't even bothered to try my Roland FA-08 which has been sitting around unused since I got out of the last band I was in. There won't be any new gear purchases around here though until we've moved and settled in elsewhere.

Yes and no. ;) First, no AiX in the CDP-S100/150. Yes on the others. In addition, the CT-S1 has a lot of content that you won't find in any other products. Casio really made this a "best of set" that we thought keyboardists would love. Some of the synths (OB-X, String Machines and more) transistor organs, classic Casio sounds and wah clavinet (this one can be done on PX-S3000) and the new "Advanced Tones" are unique to the CT-S1.

Blame quarantine brain? :idk: I should have known about the CDP-S100/150. :facepalm:

As far as the CDP-S250, PX-S1000/3000, it just depends on the sounds they need. Maybe they'll do, or maybe they want/need the new ones too.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Again, my compliments on the review. And I think 61 keys is perfect. Keep the unnecessary weight down.

I picked up my new Casio CT-S300 today. 8 pounds with batteries. I sat on the sofa with it on my lap playing and singing several songs. I see this niche trend as a rich vein to be mined. Of course I predicted Tracy Uhlman would be as big as Lucille Ball back in the '80's.

What excites me is to wonder what Yamaha must/should be designing. Lap keys (I coined a term?) could be a terrific new thing. I'm thinking of some sort of lap "table" with curves for the (human) legs to sit in - with a skid resistant mat for the keyboard to sit on. It could have speakers, but also a 1/4 inch and Bluetooth and whatever else. Someone could sit in an armless folding chair - and busk. I have this fantasy on a projected road trip from Orlando to Santa Fe. I have no idea what the local laws would be. But one can dream.

Oh, and it would (should) be adequate for sitting in with a band, should the opportunity happen.

Now the Casio CTS 300 is fine for sitting on a pillow on a motel room bed. That's what I bought it for (and it has that really cool handle). But I had to indulge my vision of a larger brother to the Yamaha Reface.

Lap keys (I coined a term?) could be a terrific new thing.

Well, it's immortalized here :)

BTW very glad to see Mike getting involved. Manufacturers answering questions and making comments add IMMEASURABLY.

BTW very glad to see Mike getting involved. Manufacturers answering questions and making comments add IMMEASURABLY.

I've been here (mostly on the Keyboard Corner) since 2001. I've worn a few different hats since then but been with Casio since mid-2008.

:wave:

-Mike Martin

Casio

True, but a lot of manufacturers would refrain from getting involved in commenting on a review. It's good you feel comfortable enough to do so.

Actually, I know one or two manufacturers whose policy it is to specifically forbid their employees from participating to public forums as a representative of their company...and I do understand their POV, even though I tend not to agree with it. :idk:

Brother MIke has a history of making himself available in his professional capacity - with other manufacturers as well, not just Casio - while making sure doing so takes a distinct back seat to his presence here as a community member/keyboard fanatic.

He kind of is the gold stardard in that respect. :2thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

He kind of is the gold standard in that respect. :2thu:

dB

Agreed!

With the Pro Reviews I used to do on Harmony Central, it was always interesting to see the different way manufacturers approached participation. I remember one time Dave Hill, when he was with Ableton, did troubleshooting on a guy's Windows machine, and got it working in the middle of the thread. Also Hiro from Digidesign was great with the Eleven Rack - the expansion kit for it was basically all the wish list items from the Pro Review. But unlike Mike, they didn't participate in the forums as a matter of course, they were one-offs for the Pro Reviews.

But unlike Mike, they didn't participate in the forums as a matter of course, they were one-offs for the Pro Reviews.

Thanks guys!

I participate in as much as I can, except the NFL threads over on the Keyboard Corner. ;)

-Mike Martin

Casio

I came across another CTS1 demo, which I watched. Pardon me if I missed something. I'm thinking these portable lap keys would benefit from pairing with rechargeable Bluetooth speakers. I looked at the CTS-1 pdf manual and couldn't determine this. I'm just a piano player, not a MIDI/technical type.

Bluetooth out ? I'm thinking of something like a Bose S1 Pro. Small PA type speaker.

Andertons A/B Casio CT-S1 with Roland Go piano.

I came across another CTS1 demo, which I watched. Pardon me if I missed something. I'm thinking these portable lap keys would benefit from pairing with rechargeable Bluetooth speakers. I looked at the CTS-1 pdf manual and couldn't determine this. I'm just a piano player, not a MIDI/technical type.

Bluetooth out ? I'm thinking of something like a Bose S1 Pro. Small PA type speaker.

Andertons A/B Casio CT-S1 with Roland Go piano.

I honestly believe there is still too much latency for Bluetooth wireless connection to speaker systems from an instrument. The latency would make it challenging to play.

That Andertons video is fun. ;)

-Mike Martin

Casio

There's a lot to making videos, especially when there's film aesthetics involved, for most YTers, it's already a thing to (rightfully) use a tripod and preserve a certain unity of style. In spite of all the effects this video has a certain style unity (though it clearly wouldn't be mine) so that's good. Also I suppose the video effect speak about the perceived audio which is,..., interesting. Its hard to give an honest sound impression of an instrument over YT, the fairest would be a HD upload with exact audio from the device under test, no conversion, from digital output; presuming the instrument\s DAC is similar in characteristics to most listeners Dacs built in the devices they use to watch product videos, and presuming as well the YT audio stream is high quality enough. You can upload lossless compressed already for a while, but I don't think I've ever been able to see a lossless YU player audio path.

There are some interesting picture qualities here and there in the video, but if this were a beginning videographer I'd suggest more stable imagery, less far out color scheme plays, and little more product commentation that people can either understand from the imagery (what does the image distortion actually say ?) or that's in the text or on screen text. In the quest for attention I suppose popular YTers will go to any length getting attention and keeping viewer count up, I don't know the rules about that, but I tend to watch well made and somewhat (rarely works much) filmic product with more pleasure than MTV generation products.

Why did I have to look up three words which Firefox spell check thought were wrong, but actually weren't ?!

T.V.

Thanks for the comments. You're right, the goal with the video was to get attention and keep viewer count up (as well as make people watch to the end because they want to see what weird stuff is coming up next, LOL). A lot of the reason for visual effects was to cover up the fact that only two camera angles were available, the one from the side, and the one from overhead.

I have a video that I'll be posting on May 1 on my YouTube channel. It was the keynote address for the Pro Audio + Radio Summit. It's lower-key than the editing I did on Dave's video, but still is basically about pan and zoom with some effects, and public domain pictures.