Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Decisions...

Hi

A friend of mine recently lost her husband. She has decided to pack up, leave Japan and move to Mexico.

I never met her husband, but it appears he was some kind of music person. She has a bunch of stuff for sale including several guitars, a bass, a synthesizer, a piano, and

a portable mixer.

Two things that got my attention are, a Boss 303 Dr. Sample, and a Korg kaossilator. The Boss fits nicely in a pedal board. The Korg would be really helpful for recording.

I haven't gotten prices yet but, getting both is probably too much. I have other priorities. Frankly I'm equally unfamiliar with them. But I think I should pounce on one of them while i can.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about either of them.

I'm not fond of loopers in general. They seem pretty common these days, my TC Electronics Flashback X4 has one, both of my Peavey Vypyr amps have them (VIP1 and VIP3).

I always feel "trapped" by loopers. It seems like you either have to just go "Ba Donk Ba Donka" and let it just repeat - trapping your soul in a mindless repetition - OR, you have to get a muti-track or several loopers all with volume pedals and umpty bajillion switches and then you are trapped by paying more attention to your feet than to the music.

So, I would take a hard pass on the looper. That's just me.

I poked around and learned there are quite a few variations on the Kaossilator. I didn't learn enough to know the difference from one model to the next. Some of those have loopers too.

I like that the Korg can be played in real time and does crazy stuffs. You could get 3 musicians with 3 Kaossilators each mounted on music stands close at hand and start a chaos band - The Chaos 3.

At least one band member will need a Sharper Image Saxxy - an inexpensive vintage "digital" kazoo thingie that might be the worst thing ever. With the proper operator, it can do subsonic sounds, you will see subwoofer cones moving slowly in and out and dogs will run away and cower in corners in sheer terror (don't ask me how I know this!).

Anyway, I'd get the Kaossilator, hands down. It is both much better and far worse than any looper. Again, just me.

Hope that helps!!!! :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The Boss 303 isn't a looper, it's a sampler. Kronos used one for a piece many years ago. I found it not particularly intuitive, but I never read the manual. We loaded it up with a set of sounds, they triggered them, it sounded fine, & that was that.

Nels Cline once told me that the Korg Kaossilator was the sole exception to his 'analog only' pedal rule. It does a lot of wacky sound mangling, though it's not really about finesse. It's all about whanging things around on its X Y axis touch pad, which lends itself to real time usage, but not to precise or repeatable control gestures.

Scott Fraser

Well I just found out that she has raised the asking price for the Dr. Sample-substantially.

She's having trouble finding the power supply for the kaossilator, still don't know what she wants for it.

There was an original version followed by several upgrades.

i think it would be good for getting ideas down without taking forever with a 'proper' version.

Well I just found out that she has raised the asking price for the Dr. Sample-substantially.

She's having trouble finding the power supply for the kaossilator, still don't know what she wants for it.

There was an original version followed by several upgrades.

i think it would be good for getting ideas down without taking forever with a 'proper' version.

I have the original KO-1 Kaossilator. It uses a 4.5 volt adapter, which you should be able to get from Korg, without too much trouble; a 9-volt adapter will fry it. Also runs on batteries, so if you can't find an adapter, you're not altogether out of luck. The second version looked like one of those mid-90's phone pagers, which I never understood? FWIW, people tend to hang on to their KO-1's; I almost never see used ones for sale, anywhere.

There's also the Kaossilator Pro, which is much larger, and more expensive, but it has the ability to store loops created within the device. Over here, a new Kaossilator Pro runs around $320US.

The Kaossilator does a lot more than you can see, just looking at the surface. You can dial up different Scales & Keys for the sounds, so you're not just zippering through the Major Scale every time you touch the screen. It's a very fun device, BUT . . . it doesn't really interface with anything else. No MIDI, no USB, and only RCA Out jacks. It's also monophonic.

It doesn't behave like a Guitar, nor a Keyboard, it's really a thing unto itself. You're not going to be able to do much in the way of Composition or Arranging on it, as it will only play in one Key, and one Scale, at any given time. It has no onboard Memory, so you can't store tunes in it, or create Sequences. I love mine, but I'm as much a Synth geek as a Guitarist, so . . .

One of the little Korg Volca series would behave more like a conventional Instrument, as would one of their $50US Monotrons, the little Ribbon Synths, if you're just looking for a fun, compact Electronic Instrument.

As Scott says, Dr. Sample isn't really a Looper, it's a Sampler, which can be programmed to run Loops. It also needs a memory card, to max out the Sampling Time, so figure that into the cost. If you want a Looper, I'd suggest one of the more compact, and affordable models from EHX or Boss. I can't recommend anything from Digitech, as Samsung is shutting them down, and all of those Digitech JamMan Loopers are about to become orphan devices.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

thanks brother Winston, that's really good intel.

I just had an extended chat with my friend.

Sorry if this is getting into the weeds but, jezus.

From what she tells me, her husband was a prolific music maker.

He has hours and hours of music on Ableton. But as a child, his family ruthlessly pushed him to be 'the best' at everything. Nothing else mattered. The didn't support his music ambitions at all.

My friend says his music is in the style of-and on a par with, Daft Punk, or Underworld. But he would start something and decide it wasn't good enough and not finish it, or erase it.

I don't know what happened to him. But it sounds like he just kind of gave up on life. My friend is a singer. Eventually, he wore her down and she gave up singing too.

She is hoping to carry on his legacy through his music. So sad.

He has hours and hours of music on Ableton. But as a child, his family ruthlessly pushed him to be 'the best' at everything. Nothing else mattered. The didn't support his music ambitions at all.

My friend says his music is in the style of-and on a par with, Daft Punk, or Underworld. But he would start something and decide it wasn't good enough and not finish it, or erase it.

I don't know what happened to him. But it sounds like he just kind of gave up on life. My friend is a singer. Eventually, he wore her down and she gave up singing too.

Just throwing this out there: just like talented musicians have helped Jason Becker"s music reach the world, so might your friend...with a little help. Maybe you. Maybe her. Maybe folks you can find.

I"ll say that if the music is as described, there"s definitely a market for it.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Damn, brother, that's just wrong. Perfectionism is the death of inspiration, IMHO. It's one thing to always want to to do your best - who would want to play with someone who didn't GAF? But holding yourself hostage to some unrealized ideal of "the best" . . . by what measure, whose measure? How about the idea that someone who is only nearly as good as "the best" would still be one hell of a great Musician, and well worth hearing?!?!?

I'm deeply sorry for this fellow, and for his wife, despite never having met them. I hope she can reawaken her voice once again, somehow.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I've heard it said many times "The Perfect is the Enemy of the Good", seems to apply in this case.

I understand where one can get trapped by the desire to be the best but it doesn't engender experimentation and it punishes mistakes.

Many of my best guitar riffs were born of mistakes, I'm glad I was free to make them. Now I sound just like me, because those are MY mistakes and not anybody else's. I prize them, even if they are long forgotten and my riffs live on in their honor.

Well it's not my usual area of music. But I said I would help however I can.

In the 1980s, I had a coworker who loved to listen to guitar music. Our desks were next to each other.

After a while i started bringing some of my favorite CDs. We would work and listen.

Later i found out that he used to play but, he got intimidated by some of the 80s players-

the Shrapnel Records bunch are likely suspects. So he just gave up-sold all his gear and quit playing.

I didn't know what to say to that. i still don't. I understand getting down and depressed-better than i want to.

I'm never satisfied with what I do. I like when people enjoy it but, there is no 'good enough'. But I still create. I still perform.

If I don't, there is a very deep, very dark pit with very wild animals, with my name on it.

Well it's not my usual area of music. But I said I would help however I can.

In the 1980s, I had a coworker who loved to listen to guitar music. Our desks were next to each other.

After a while i started bringing some of my favorite CDs. We would work and listen.

Later i found out that he used to play but, he got intimidated by some of the 80s players-

the Shrapnel Records bunch are likely suspects. So he just gave up-sold all his gear and quit playing.

I didn't know what to say to that. i still don't. I understand getting down and depressed-better than i want to.

I'm never satisfied with what I do. I like when people enjoy it but, there is no 'good enough'. But I still create. I still perform.

If I don't, there is a very deep, very dark pit with very wild animals, with my name on it.

Dang! I know & own a lot of those CDs. I also participate in the fine arts, cook, and so forth.

If I were to take things like this personally, I"d do NOTHING creative. There"s ALWAYS someone better than you at whatever it is you do. Even guitar gods have guitar gods.

Hell- I was just watching an episode of Chopped, Jr. and watched established chefs marvel at an insight a 14-year old contestant had. She did something none of them had considered.

Or, to put it more clearly, creativity is not a competition unless you make it one. Looking at others as potential teachers instead of rivals is liberating.

I wish every potential creator would take a step back and just consider how much work- and luck- goes into the careers of those we idolize. Not as a bar to participation, but as a reality check. There was a pro (whose name I forget) who started his talk at the Dallas Guitar Show who asking , 'Show of hands: who wants to play like me?'

Several shot their arms in the air.

'Forget about it. It won"t happen.'

*GASP!!!*

'Here"s why: I get up, then I practice. I eat breakfast, then I practice. I make some calls, then I practice, I eat lunch, then I practice. My day goes on like that until bedtime- the last thing I do is practice. You can"t play like me unless you can put in the time like me.'

He meant that, not to discourage, but to provide perspective.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

[quote=skipclone

^^^ I love this post!!!

And I am the same, always searching but fully aware it has been and will continue to be a random path of inspiration, failure and momentary flashes of pure white light that lift my spirits off this Earth.

I was in a crazy band in Fresno. Dr. Bob the People's Dentist had a huge home with a 2 story ceiling in the living room. He had all manner of gear, including bent up old tubas and state of the art bass and amp.

We would just take a station and start, no discussion of intent, key, beat, nothing. If 2 or 3 of the 5 got a groove going, the others would surgically destroy it from within and move it to another place. Dr. Bob just sang, sometimes up and grooving, others lying on the floor with the tuba over his head and a cheap, crappy sounding mic stuffed up in there, singing his brains out.

It wasn't something I would have defined as important to me but the spirit and the fun were fantastic. All of us were accomplished players and it FELT like that but playing back the recordings made you wonder.

I wouldn't trade it for anything and there's still more music to be played!

Well it's really tragic that this person couldn't get past their childhood experience, and even passed it on to their partner.

My first real band was also basically just four of us jamming, i still have some of the recordings. We would sometimes do songs but mostly

it was start a groove and see where it goes. Later the drummer, who also did the recording, moved away. We found a new drummer, who also had a background in

Indian percussion, and we started to play out. This was in and around the Woodstock area, partying was not only accepted, it was required haha.

Ah, those days...

Well it's really tragic that this person couldn't get past their childhood experience, and even passed it on to their partner.

My first real band was also basically just four of us jamming, i still have some of the recordings. We would sometimes do songs but mostly

it was start a groove and see where it goes. Later the drummer, who also did the recording, moved away. We found a new drummer, who also had a background in

Indian percussion, and we started to play out. This was in and around the Woodstock area, partying was not only accepted, it was required haha.

Ah, those days...

It is tragic but in the end, it is a choice. One can choose to do or not do such a thing.

It's one thing to test an idea, that's how we learn. It's another to test an idea, fail and continue to fail. External pressure is certainly a factor but wouldn't one see that those who demand perfection are in fact making an impossible (and therefore imperfect) demand? I know it is more complex thaan that but at the heart of the matter, it isn't.

I play for my own enjoyment. "Perfection" has never been one of my goals. If I could play as good as , I would be a happy camper. Till then, I'll just play as good as I can and try to get a little better each time I pick (pun intended) up my guitar. My vocals will never be as good as either LoL!

I have a looper in line at all times that will record up to 99 complete songs. I have only used about 56 of them and have erased more than I have saved LoL! They come in very handy as a practice tool IMHO... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

There's a pretty well known YouTube of a band attempting to play "Comfortably Numb" & absolutely failing in every respect. They are certifiably awful. But, discounting the immature & snarky comments, the meaningful & uplifting comments are all about how you have to give them credit for trying, & how important it is to reach beyond your current abilities. Although a cringeworthy listen, I admire those kids for putting themselves on a stage & playing instruments, & making the attempt. They'll get better. Or not, but they will have had the experience of being part of a collective endeavor that is a seminal part of becoming a fully realized person.
Scott Fraser

I play for my own enjoyment. "Perfection" has never been one of my goals. If I could play as good as , I would be a happy camper. Till then, I'll just play as good as I can and try to get a little better each time I pick (pun intended) up my guitar. My vocals will never be as good as either LoL!

I also play for my own enjoyment as well. I am a long ways from perfection when I play, but I like playing and that is all that matters. Sometimes it is a chore, sometimes it is a joy. If I wanted to play out (which I don't) I would have to practice 3 to 4 hours a day for weeks to get my stuff up to presentation levels. My singing has improved a big bunch since I have had my three + sets of backing tracks. And so has my playing. Although I am not as fast as I once was, my playing is getting more melodic with less notes, more sustain and inserting pauses.

I also play for my own enjoyment as well. I am a long ways from perfection when I play, but I like playing and that is all that matters. Sometimes it is a chore, sometimes it is a joy. If I wanted to play out (which I don't) I would have to practice 3 to 4 hours a day for weeks to get my stuff up to presentation levels. My singing has improved a big bunch since I have had my three + sets of backing tracks. And so has my playing. Although I am not as fast as I once was, my playing is getting more melodic with less notes, more sustain and inserting pauses.

This last year has changed everything. Now it's all about playing for fun and hanging out with my best friends. Since we have been able to get back together we are practicing once, maybe twice a week. Most of our practice is more about bar bq and breaking out the Ukuleles, maybe an hour of practice. I don't know if we'll perform anymore, we are all moving on with facing the reality of the real world. Our drummer just finished fire academy and that means 24 hour shits that we have to work around. We may play a party or something, but that would be about all. We still enjoy playing whenever we can.

Jenny S.

Our drummer just finished fire academy and that means 24 hour shits that we have to work around.

Hilarious typo!

Anyway, sounds like y"all are doing a good job of keeping your priorities straight and your friendships tight.

This last year has changed everything. Now it's all about playing for fun and hanging out with my best friends. Since we have been able to get back together we are practicing once, maybe twice a week. Most of our practice is more about bar bq and breaking out the Ukuleles, maybe an hour of practice. I don't know if we'll perform anymore, we are all moving on with facing the reality of the real world. Our drummer just finished fire academy and that means 24 hour shits that we have to work around. We may play a party or something, but that would be about all. We still enjoy playing whenever we can.

DBM, It sounds to me like you are on the right track! Getting better with vocals can be very cool as it shows we are listening to what we are singing and putting are hearts into it. Getting more melodic and inserting those pauses is the mark of a pro player! I may play a few open mic's when the clubs open back up, but that will be the extent of my playing out (except at friends parties!). :cool:

Surfer Girl, Having your musical friends breaking out the Ukes and having a BBQ sounds like a blast! My son is a fireman and sometimes he gets cold called to come in on Mandatory which is the Shitz LoL! Suggest if you do get back to playing live gigs to have a stand-by drummer just in case your drummer gets called in. We used to have a stand-by drummer when our regular guy couldn't make it. Don't worry about the typo, it's part of the fun around here! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Ah, those days...

It is tragic but in the end, it is a choice. One can choose to do or not do such a thing.

It's one thing to test an idea, that's how we learn. It's another to test an idea, fail and continue to fail. External pressure is certainly a factor but wouldn't one see that those who demand perfection are in fact making an impossible (and therefore imperfect) demand? I know it is more complex thaan that but at the heart of the matter, it isn't.

I don't know Kuru-a lot of people say things like that but, when that kind of atmosphere starts when you're a kid, it's pretty far-fetched to point fingers and say, you 'chose' that.

No, actually you didn't. You may have some choice about how much it shapes your life but, the 'just get over it' attitude, usually comes from people who never went through it.

Ah, those days...

I don't know Kuru-a lot of people say things like that but, when that kind of atmosphere starts when you're a kid, it's pretty far-fetched to point fingers and say, you 'chose' that.

No, actually you didn't. You may have some choice about how much if shapes your life but, the 'just get over it' attitude, usually comes from people who never went through it.

I hear you, I've been through enough to know that things don't always change quickly but if you live long enough and are persistent you can make considerable progress towards happiness and stability.

Yes chemicals rush through our brains and cause uncontrolled emotions. In my life I've discovered allergies have caused me considerable grief. Other life experiences have influenced where I was and where I am now and altering the chemicals that do flow through the brain is not unknown to me.

I don't believe or preach "Just deal with it." I can see where you might come to that conclusion, it is difficult to know each other through this medium but this is how we met and I enjoy the interaction in any case.

Little by little, I've developed better habits. I am still working on LOTS of them and the mountain is tall indeed.

For me it's been an incremental process and I am pleased to be where I am now compared to where I have been. It's been decades and change is not over yet. Cheers, Kuru

Cheers-I think it's pretty kool too.

People have come and gone on this forum. Caevan and I have spoken over the phone, and I've met and jammed several times with another former member.

We're still in touch. Always great to meet and greet the elite haha.

I have several friends who survived childhood abuse. One friend told me, 'it happened. But I got over it.'

I don't believe that for a second.

I mean, I've pretty much stopped using words like 'never'. I don't promise there will never be a day when I say, that's it.

Until that day, I have music to keep my feet on the ground and my eyes forward.

So on a considerably lighter note but still relevant to the discussion, small-scale events are happening here but with strict protocols.

We had a show on march 27th. This is the vocal-only gig I've been doing. Hard to believe we're approaching eight years.

We had a guest performer, at first i thought he was a comedian. In fact he was a singer, not only that but a finalist on the show X-Factor.

Simon voted him off on television. He was a really nice guy, graciously he performed last.

A bunch of us met after for drinks and it was like, 'you were great' 'no, you were great'.

Now I've been invited to a songwriters' evening on May 7th. We play three original songs each.

It's some kind of competition. There are a few semifinals and then finals.

I don't really care about that. I don't even know what the winner wins.

My friend said, the theme this time is LGBTQ. Are you okay with that?

Well I do sort of have a connection to that community. But it's mostly through my performances.

This is already getting kind of complicated to explain....

Anyway I said it's fine. But my songs are mostly written from a you know, cis (assigned at birth) guy type perspective.

I can have some fun, switch gender references or something.

Update on that-I just heard that there may not be enough people to make it happen. We shall see..

IThere's also a blues jam on Sunday. I've been missing playing electric so much.

I went last month. I didn't bring a guitar since it was raining. I jumped in on vocals for one song.

I told myself, screw the virus. Next time I'm bringing a guitar.

It's never simple, ever.

My sister's boyfriend stole my mics, tried to trade them in the music shop where I bought them (they had my ID etched in them) and got caught. He went through heroin withdrawals in jail. Sis saw the light and he was no longer part of our lives.

I was a pall bearer at a former friend's funeral when he was 35 years old. Way too strung out on smack and coke so when he got pneumonia they couldn't find a vein to inject the drugs that could have saved his life. They gave him oral medication and sent him home. He got some "good drugs", OD'd and that was that.

Somehow, relatively speaking - I've emerged unscathed. I can't make other people change. I may be able to influence them bit by bit and they me. We grow as we go.

I am grateful to be here, for all the twists and turns.

Holy jeez, so sorry.

I guess my crowd was born too early, or too hostile to corporate drug suppliers.

I never got the appeal of needles, even for disease prevention. i'll do it if I have to but, not until then.

My take is, if the 'drug war' hadn't made raw coca leaves (you know, as in Coca Cola) or raw opium such gum such an issue,

way fewer geniuses would be dead. Meanwhile, the handcuffs are maybe finally off science to study mushrooms, ayahuasca etc.

properly, and catch up to what shamans knew a few thousand years ago.

I went to a doctor once about my sleep issues-which I still have. He prescribed a pill for me. I lasted one day. Nope. I'll just stay awake, thanks.

Holy jeez, so sorry.

I guess my crowd was born too early, or too hostile to corporate drug suppliers.

I never got the appeal of needles, even for disease prevention. i'll do it if I have to but, not until then.

My take is, if the 'drug war' hadn't made raw coca leaves (you know, as in Coca Cola) or raw opium such gum such an issue,

way fewer geniuses would be dead. Meanwhile, the handcuffs are maybe finally off science to study mushrooms, ayahuasca etc.

properly, and catch up to what shamans knew a few thousand years ago.

Well, I could have told you about the time I drank 7 hand-poured (not the weak mix that comes out of the spigot) Long Island Ice Teas in pint glasses, had a couple of beers and a few puffs on a joint and then drove home on the freeway at 70mph after the gig.

I had one eye closed so I would only see one freeway and I was hyperventilating so I would not pass out. Somehow, nobody was killed. I slowed down a bit after that one but was still over-indulging.

I don't do stuff like that anymore, has been decades I chose life and life's been good. There are ups and downs, I expect no less.

And yes, there is much to learn about the world around us. In the world that has created itself around us, the profit motive drives education/innovation but there is several thousand years of herbal wisdom in China alone. They were not the only ones by any means.

The huge difference today is how quickly information can be shared. The internet has brought a new paradigm. Humans are still humans though, the most potentially vicious and selfish of all the predator apes, and by far the most clever.

I prefer to be positive and try to improve.

Music saves my soul, a good friend wrote that line in one of her songs and it rings true.

People forget that alongside the wisdom of the ancients is the nonsense of the ancients. The same cultures that figured out certain herbal remedies now known to be real also prescribed ingesting heavy metals and ground-up rhino horns.ð§

Totally agreed.

I flew on a domestic flight while tripping.

Let's stop there.

Well now my friend is wondering whether she really wants to sell anything.

This is still a painful and confusing time for her. I think I should just leave the topic alone for now.

Apologies and thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts and advice.