Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fantastic Article About Martian Audio - Really!

I just flat out think this article is incredible. In it, Lynn Fuston cleans up the audio coming from the Perseverence rover, with before and after examples. Of course, the idea of cleaning up audio recorded by DPA mics on Mars is pretty cool, but in a more practical way, the article shows that it really is possible to improve mangled audio that was recorded here on earth. Great stuff.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that what Lynn did here is a pretty good demonstration of what you can remove from a sound file and have a clean and listenable experience. But I want to know from the NASA folks what's Martian about the sound? Honestly, that could be a recording of me getting out of bed in the morning. Without knowing what it really sounds like up there, we don't know what we should cut out and leave behind.

Hooray for getting there. Now somebody should sample the Mars ambience and make a plug-in from it.

Hooray for getting there. Now somebody should sample the Mars ambience and make a plug-in from it.

These guys should do it. :)https://samplesfrommars.com/

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

But I want to know from the NASA folks what's Martian about the sound? Honestly, that could be a recording of me getting out of bed in the morning. Without knowing what it really sounds like up there, we don't know what we should cut out and leave behind.

I think the point was that if you subtract the known sounds like engines or whatever, what's left is Mars. Of course what you're mostly going to get is wind, I guess...or the sound of you getting out of bed in the morning.

The pix are more dramatic, I love this picture of clouds on Mars, caused by meteorites vaporizing.

WqJIHiI.jpg