Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ZXA1s with Subwoofer

Has anyone used this combination? I"m asking if the 'cleanliness' of the ZXA1s is compromised if one adds an EV sub to the amplification in order the boost the low end. A small group I play with wants more bottom end for my left-hand bass.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If all you need it for is left hand bass, as long as you hace some kind of dedicated line out of your rig for the bass sound, I'd rather send the bass to a bass amp. I use the Markbass Mini CMD 121 P for this. It's a lot lighter to carry around than a sub, and I think it better gives you the illusion of a bassist on stage, to be hearing the bass come out of its own bass amp.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Has anyone used this combination? I"m asking if the 'cleanliness' of the ZXA1s is compromised if one adds an EV sub to the amplification in order the boost the low end. A small group I play with wants more bottom end for my left-hand bass.

The "cleanliness" should be enhanced with a subwoofer since you're not using the ZXA1s to work at pumping out those real low frequencies.

Thanks for your comments about a dedicated bass amp. However, I"m using mostly my MODX for this application, which does not have separate sets of lines out.

I've used the MODX for this as well. You can create a Live Set screen full of patches with the bass panned to one output, all your other sounds panned to the other. Of course, you have to be okay with all your other sounds being mono.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Your op says "A small group I play with wants more bottom end", are you intimating that perhaps you're not in agreement with that assessment? I wouldn't give up stereo to make anybody else happy at my expense. How do you feel about the amount of bass you're producing? Two 8" powered cabs should be able to pump out decent bass. I use two old QSC K8s (1000 watts vs the 800 of the ZXAs, not a big dif) and have done loud left-hand bass gigs and I have to roll off low end â no subwoofer needed. Maybe try cutting the extreme low end from your bass sound - a high-pass filter set to around 60Hz. That will let you push more lows through the speakers without clipping or IM distortion. To your bandmates the bass will sound "louder", thus "better." :-)

I've been using a pair of ZXA1s for my one-man-band gigs for a while. I also bought the matching sub, not for LH bass (which sounded fine with just the ZXA1s) but to get some kick out of the kick drum on my drum tracks. Still, i've found that adding the sub just makes the whole mix sound bigger and more alive - less constrained by having everything coming out of two small speakers.

Just my two cents,

- Jimbo

Thanks for all the feedback. My ears actually roll off the highs, so I may tend to boost highs at the expense of the lows, thus I do listen to the advice of my band mates whose ears aren"t yet ruined. We practice tomorrow and plan to try adding a pa with large woofer to the mix just to see if that satisfies.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2