Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianoteq on the US$100 Odroid N2+

I'm getting really good Pianoteq performance from the Odroid N2+, a US$100 small-board computer with 6-cores. It makes a very nice standalone Pianoteq sound module. The short of it - I was able to assign 4-cores to Pianoteq and leave 2-cores for the OS (Ubuntu-MATE), giving Pianoteq a lot of CPU cycles to work with.

- If anyone's interested in the gory technical/linux details. I made a long thread about it on the Pianoteq forums.

- There's also a

where I threw some challenging classic pieces at it to see where it broke.

Here's an example

MUSICAL STRESS TEST #5

Computer System: Odroid N2+ 4GB, using onboard sound system and 3.5mm jack.

Pianoteq Preset: 'NY Steinway D Classical Recording'

Pianoteq Settings: Maximum (first 5 seconds of video show the settings)

Test Results:

03:44 - minor event (2 red lines)

04:04 - minor event (2 red lines)

05:27 - minor event (5 red lines)

Performer: Scott Meek

MIDI File: Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-Sharp Minor , Op. 27, No. 2, 'Sonata quasi una fantasia' by Ludwig Beethoven.

https://www.yamahaden.com/midi-files/category/beethoven_ludwig_pianosonatano_14inc_sharpminor_op_27_no_2_1683551850

Set Youtube playback resolution to 720p or higher to see the audio load graph more clearly. I used my iPhone to record the LCD monitor and it looks awful at low resolutions. Audio was routed from the 3.5mm jack through an audio interface (SSL2) to iPhone.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that they develop on Linux. But that is very slick!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• 2 weeks later...

I especially appreciate this appearing now, as Pianoteq 7 is on my Next Buy list. I look forward to leaving my more static instruments behind. I'm happy to see a physical modeling piano of such quality, as the other options are usually CPU-hungry, streaming beasts. This will feel like a very pure match for Strum, a PM-based guitar that's been my go-to since I first picked it up. My hands are a bit decrepit, so I can't bring out 100% of the expressiveness of either, but they offer outstanding compensation.

Its a mini-shame that I'm well-covered with VA synths. I'm curious as to how gritty the AAS Ultra Analog can get when PM is the epitome of "clean."

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I've never gotten much "grit" from Ultra Analog, but I must admit I'm not the deepest-diving user...

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I've never gotten much "grit" from Ultra Analog, but I must admit I'm not the deepest-diving user...

As I plumb Chromaphone 3, I'm increasingly clear on where PM works best. You can tweeze and effect things outside their usual roles easily now, so its intriguing to layer a VA & PM synth playing their version of string ensemble. The basics are so clear that I'm spending as much time blending strengths as I am sculpting a sound with a single synth. 400 sounds are fun to review, but its the key 40 that are giving me the best central voices with PM. Its like the cello: a singular sound, but covering both ends of its range beautifully.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

As I plumb Chromaphone 3, I'm increasingly clear on where PM works best. You can tweeze and effect things outside their usual roles easily now, so its intriguing to layer a VA & PM synth playing their version of string ensemble. The basics are so clear that I'm spending as much time blending strengths as I am sculpting a sound with a single synth. 400 sounds are fun to review, but its the key 40 that are giving me the best central voices with PM. Its like the cello: a singular sound, but covering both ends of its range beautifully.

I have a lot more experience with Chromaphone than I do with the other AAS applications. For me, this is in fact the best usage of physical modeling other than Pianoteq. I really like some of the sounds I can get out of it.

However, to be honest, I haven"t done much with it in a while. That"s not its fault; I haven"t been using plug-ins at all recently, having focused a lot of my energy on working in iOS. There are only a few virtual instruments on the Mac that I consider indispensable at this point. On the other hand, now that Ableton Live 11 supports MPE, I am a lot more likely to be trying it out and seeing what it can do for me.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a version 1.0 "garage build" to sort out the case design. I like the idea of using wood, since it's supposed to be a "piano sound module". Will probably angle the top and add an eye-catching wood finish (like a cool guitar finish). The back and front covers will be 50's retro-style speaker grill/cloth. Touchscreen makes its very user-friendly, though if I ever upgrade this, I'll probably get a bigger screen. I can also see building something with more powerful x86 hardware and Windows if I wanted to run more VSTs. Though I will probably add the U-He synths since they support Linux ARM - just missing a decent Hammond organ VST on Linux ARM .

Otherwise - functionally, this pianoteq sound module works great - just turn it on and start playing. Everything is off-the-shelf, nothing fancy going on here. After adding the touchscreen, total cost is under US$200 (minus my sweat and effort).

Touchscreen with Pianoteq

IMG-5209-1.jpg

Overview

IMG-5190-1.jpg

FRONT (eventually covered with speaker grill/cloth) - that is the Odroid N2+ sitting inside.

IMG-5247-1.jpg

BACK (eventually covered with speaker grill/cloth) - currently 3 cables: power, USB MIDI, and 3.5mm audio out

IMG-5200-1.jpg

TOP - touchscreen (perhaps a sunburst guitar-style finish?)

IMG-5245-1.jpg

Touchscreen

IMG-5249-1.jpg